Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Some other facts from the factory tour - for the interested!

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  DUCMONROB 
G
#1 ·
Ducati Factory Facts, courtesy of Claudia, my friendly Ducati Factory Tour Guide:

• There are 450 employees in the factory floor. About 100 of them are in the race dept
  • There are a further 450 workers in the office
  • All bikes are assembled in the Bologna factory. If you own a moden duc, it was made there
  • When the Texas Pacific Group bought Ducati in 1995, they spent a shiteload on CNC milling machines and the like, and changed the assembly methodology to a Japanese style production line arguably on thing that saved the company
  • Prior to this, approximately 12 people worked on assembling your bike. Now, just four do the job - one assembles the engine, two assemble the frame, engine etc, a final person commissions and tunes the bike - all take ownership of each process
  • A good chance at least one woman helped build you bike - most likely the engine. More women are on the engine building line than men
  • 40% of the engine block is machined away in the manufacture process
  • You get pretty cool swag as a company uniform if you work at ducati.
  • Chances are that you might ride one as well. If you do, you get a nice place to park - right out front in the exec car park!
  • There are a number of production lines. All 2V are manufactured on the same line, and the other lines service the 4V and all the ST models
  • On the factory tour, you don't get to see the race dept. :( Only get to peek in a little window where they develop engines
  • The factory cafe is pretty cool. The coffee is respectable as well [thumbsup]
  • No bikes are actually fully assembled in the factory. All fairings are bolted on at the shipping company, and the dealer does the mirrors, etc etc
  • Probaby the coolest job is the one where you get to sit on bikes in the dynos and rev the shite out of bikes all day ... Actually, working in the race dept probably pips that!

OK that's all I can think of for the moment. As I remember more, I will add it!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm jealous!

#5 ·
goldFiSh said:
yeeesh you have just put some bad pictures in my head!
Obviously thinking of the OSH aspects of working on a production line in bikini...

#8 ·
when i was there in july there was a cute blonde girly with tattoos driving the parts buggy, she nearly ran me over too. got a slap from the wife for perving.......couldn't help it!!
did you get to the dealers at the end of the road?? we brought back some cool bits and pieces and got a personal tour of the service dept. i was wearing my "ducati service" shorts with my bayliss t-shirt and somehow they got the impression i was an employee ::) helped with ilsconto ;D

#10 ·
goldFiSh said:
Ducati Factory Facts, courtesy of Claudia, my friendly Ducati Factory Tour Guide:

• A good chance at least one woman helped build you bike - most likely the engine. More women are on the engine building line than men
  • Probaby the coolest job is the one where you get to sit on bikes in the dynos and rev the shite out of bikes all day ... Actually, working in the race dept probably pips that!

OK that's all I can think of for the moment. As I remember more, I will add it!
ducati worker??

#11 ·
salty said:
ducati worker??

Off topic a bit, but... how do they make the bikes stand up for those shots? I'm sure she's not holding it up. A stand that has been photoshopped out?

Looks almost like my bike - except it's not a Dark. I could almost dream that it's part of the pre-delivery checks: will it stand up to a scantily clad girl draped over it.

#13 ·
GeoffB said:

Off topic a bit, but... how do they make the bikes stand up for those shots? I'm sure she's not holding it up. A stand that has been photoshopped out?

Looks almost like my bike - except it's not a Dark. I could almost dream that it's part of the pre-delivery checks: will it stand up to a scantily clad girl draped over it.
That looks like the singing budgie aka Kylie...and it looks like she was photoshopped onto the bike.

G
#15 ·
motozine said:
How long does factory tour last?
I made reservation on June 11th at 11AM and same date I made another factory tour for Lamborghini at 2:30PM
do you guys think I have enough time in between?
thanks.
The tour took about 1-1.5 hours from memory, but ends up in the museum, where you can waste hours and hours!

Given the timing above, you may need to come back for the museum (and you HAVE to go there!) - it's awesome...

I've been meaning to post a vid up that I made during the museum tour (cant take photos or vids inside the factory)... My factory tour guide was a nice girl and gave us a tour round the museum, which I could capture on vid! Too many things to do, not enough time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.