Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a 1994 M900 which had Open airbox, Sils, dynojetted and lots of genuine C/F it was light weight , put out 89bhp at the back and wheelied so easy it was a menace.

OK my M750 is less powerful and heavier, but my S4 is lightened and although heavier than the 900 puts out 111bhp at the back now so why does it not want to wheely all the time.
It is fast and accelerates like the space shuttle but seems to lack the bottom end stomp of the old carbed 900.

what do you think?

jerry

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Different geometry perhaps? If the rear is raised high enough, more weight would be placed on keeping the front wheel down, thereby delivering all that power to the ground rather than to the sky.... Maybe sliding back on the seat a bit more would "lighten" up the front.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Randall said:
my 620's wheelied
From what I hear, all the way to 140. ::)

Try to be a little nicer. LOL

G

·
Different power delivery between the 4 valve and the 2 valver. As far as the 750 is concerned, it'll wheelie, it'll wheelie real high (trust me) nut you'll be better off using the clutch. It just doesn't have the oomph to do big power wheelies, it'll do little ones not big ones like your old 900.

·
Registered
665 Posts
bobspapa said:
The "monkeys from I disagree" event shall never happen.

^Randall??

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not a heavy guy about 5'9'' and 168lbs I have been riding for 34 years alsmost every day, average over 1500 miles a month on bikes,

Sure the M750 can be made to wheely off the clutch but its the S4 I am really talking about , compared to the M900 . That bike would wheely of the throttle at any speed in any gear it was really frisky.The S4 has real push and acceleration but it needs a lot of clutch to get it up and only in 1st and 2nd .

I have made a Harley Softail custom 1340 wheely so I know what to do.I would not reccomend it though.

jerry

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
It's because the 4V S4 engine has it's power output up high whereas the 2Vers have more low end grunt. That's why it wants to wheelie when you get on the gas. More hp gets you more top speed (along with other variables like aerodynamics and such) and torque is your bottom end power. Where your torque hits in the powerband also has a lot to do with it, and it simply comes on at lower RPMs on the 2Vers.

G

·
Randall said:
you dont have to use the clutch to make any monster, )prolly even the 400's) wheely.

if your a heavy guy, (over 200#'s), get a 14t sprocket.
You also don't have to wipe your ass after you take a dump, but's it's better if you do ;)

G

·
chopperbill said:
It's gearing more then likely, unless something is wrong with the S4. My S4rs is a wheelie fanatic, most of the time I'm trying to keep the front end down.
Hey bill what's your gearing?

My S4 wheelies with the stock 15/37 setup . I just bumped up to 15/42 (although I'm contemplating 14/42)
but have yet to ride it AND I weigh exactly 200lbs but I'm 6'.

Keep trying man!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The fat midrange of the 2-valve 904cc Monster engine is a big help in doing wheelies. You can find a lot of complaints on this site regarding the smaller valves used in the 97 and some 98 M900 engines, but that gave it just a little more midrange and helped for doing wheelies. Higher compression pistons are also a big help.

When I switched from the M900 to my ST2, with the 944cc water cooled 2-valve engine, I could tell it was down a little on power from 4000 to 6000 rpms. It's not nearly as good at wheelies, partly from the different rider position, but also because of the different powerband. It's definitely more powerful than the Monster above 6000 rpms, all the way to 9500 when the rev limiter kicks in. It easily has 5-10 more horsepower up top. The Monster stopped pulling by 9000, so I probably never would have noticed a rev limiter at 9500, if there was one.

So about a year after purchasing the ST2, I bought the 888. That's a 4-valve engine and probably has about 20 more horsepower than the ST2. But the midrange is quite weak compared to the ST2, which is a bit weak compared to the Monster. It's all but impossible to get the front wheel off of the ground on the 888, even with lower gears. But it's sure easy to hit triple digit speeds on it. >:D

So I place a lot of the blame on the powerband for making an S4 harder to wheelie than an M900. There really is a difference.

And this is all another reason why I'm looking forward to the Hypermotard. That bike should be even better than the Monster at wheelies.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts