Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, just found out that I have a small play in the steering bearing, does anybody have any information on how tighten the bearings correctly!?

thanx

Carl

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Wrong oh nomadwarmachine!! Just tap the collar around 'til it's tight & then back it off just a "shoch". It's not at all uncommon for them to become loose.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what kind/year of bike? is this a new feeling in the bike? thought my steering head bearings might be a tad loose too, but hoisted up the front end and have no front-to-back freedom of movement when pushing/pulling on the wheel. parts cat. shows ball bearings not tapered roller. maybe time for a steering dampener.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wrong oh nomadwarmachine!! Just tap the collar around 'til it's tight & then back it off just a "shoch". It's not at all uncommon for them to become loose.
You have to be careful when backing things off a scosh on an Italian bike.
Since scosh is the Japanese derivative of scoshi.
I always back things off a "po' di". ::) :-*

·
Registered
211 Posts
After I get the steering head bearing tapped tighter, do I need to tighten the bolt on the top of the triple? Is it like a lock ring? Or do I have to take the triple off to tighten this up? Otherwise, what keeps it from loosening up? Am I right in thinking the best way to check if they are loose is to somehow raise the front and pull and push the wheel? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I don't raise the front, but yes, loosen the pinch bolt & tighten everything up to the new setting.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I saw the bloke at Brisbane Ducati tighten, then check my steering head bearings.

First you loosen the top tripple bolts, then you tighten up the lock nut, he said it's just a feel thing, simmilar to the way you'd tighten wheel bearings in a car. (I'm fairly sure he told me they were tapers, maybe ball tapers)

First of you slightly overtighten, then turn the bars from lock to lock, verry slowly through the middle (wheel straight) if the bearings are shot, you'll feel a fairly noticble notch. This is caused from hitting bumps, pot holes & general riding in a straight line. Commonly referred to as Brinnelling in the bearing game.

If you have a notchy feeling as you rotate through centre it's time to replace. If not, just readjust then tighten the triple bolts after adjusting the steering set.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry Forgot to mention, do this with the front wheel off the ground.

You can simply get a mate to lift it off the ground on the side stand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts