Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Monster 796 ABS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Monster. But I live in Los Angesles. Air cool + bad design + traffic = burning heat to the point where I had to step off the bike. So it's a fix it or sell it mater for me. I decided to wrap the exhaust section underneath the seat and here we are.

I bought a roll of titanium exhaust wrap 2" x 50' from Amazon for $20 which came with some metal zip ties. The only tools I needed were a needle nose plier and a metal scissor.

First try, I cut out an estimated length a spray the entire wrap with high temp silicone spray and let dry for 15min. Then I wrapped the pipe without removing any part, just patiently accessing the little space there is on the sides of the bike. It's possible. Took me roughly 2 hours total to wrap 2 layers. The O2 sensor was in the way and I just wrapped around it. It worked perfectly. The heat was almost gone. Every here and there in long traffic would I feel some gentle heat again and be reminded that I had made the right choice.

200 miles later, I got the ECU reflashed and decided to remove the O2 sensors instead of just leaving them there. I took off the tank and had more access to the pipe this time. I removed the sensor and the old wrap which came off crumbling like dried overbaked bread. Was it because I bought some cheap crap on Amazon? Or the silicone spray? Or is it just how heat wrap is?

Anyway, I skipped the silicone spray this time, wrapped the pipe 2 layers again, but used more metal zip ties to keep it in place just in case. The wrap covers approximately 12" of the pipe starting from the header. It works as expected again. No burning heat issue.

I used a temperature gun to measure the heat right after the wrapped section and got 110C (engine has warmed up for 5min). I measured the other pipe from the horizontal cyclinder(?) at approximately the same length 12" away from the header, and got 108C. I measured a few times back and forth and the difference was consistently between 1-3 degree Celsius. Does this mean the wrap has no effect on the performance of the exhaust? The vertical pipe is located in a closed space compared to the horizontal pipe seating in open space. This might explain the 2% difference?

If you have issue with heat under your left leg, definitely wrap the exhaust. In the picture, my wrap ends at the lower most metal zip tie that you can see. That's all it takes to get rid of the heat burning your leg. It will also protect the surrounding parts in my opinion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
old wrap which came off crumbling like dried overbaked bread. Was it because I bought some cheap crap on Amazon? Or the silicone spray? Or is it just how heat wrap is?
Yeah the exhaust wraps are just like that. They don't last long because of the heat. So its something you have to redo every year. Thats why some people just do ceramic coatings on pipes instead. They last a bit longer but not forever.

Does this mean the wrap has no effect on the performance of the exhaust?
The wrap has an effect on the performance of the engine although very small. Basically the less heat that is lost, the more power the engine makes.

·
Registered
2012 Monster 796 ABS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the explanation. I guess I can just re-wrap it while doing air filter when the time comes. As long as the trapped heat doesn't break the engine, I'm happy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As long as the trapped heat doesn't break the engine, I'm happy.
The problem is with steel headers. The wraps trap water and the headers rust away. If that was an issue, I'm sure you would've already noticed. I guess these pipes are stainless steel anyway. So its not a bad idea and might even help things like your ohlins shock.

·
Registered
2012 Monster 796 ABS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If rust is the only concern then I won't have to worry about it. It rarely rains in SoCal and I don't ride when it's wet anyway 🤣. Still, thank you for the heads up. I will keep that in mind to air blow the area after washing the bike. I think the header won't have rust issue, but the attachment screws will sure do. I do like the added benefit of protecting the shock.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That actually looks really cool 😲
I didn't expect that reaction because its totally a classic 1970's-1980's Japanese bosozoku thing which is really a stretch from modern Ducati's especially. I like naked bikes or 'street fighters' because they show the mechanicals though and this would be a functional way to get the heat away from you.

·
Registered
2012 Monster 796 ABS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Classic" was actually the first thought that came into mind when I saw that picture 😁

I just googled Bosozoku and the bikes look a lot like what I used to ride in Vietnam, back in the days, with some big plastic add-on, I guess more for look than aerodynamic 😂

·
Registered
524 Posts
I didn't expect that reaction because its totally a classic 1970's-1980's Japanese bosozoku thing which is really a stretch from modern Ducati's especially. I like naked bikes or 'street fighters' because they show the mechanicals though and this would be a functional way to get the heat away from you.
I visited Japan a lot in the 80's, and Bosozoku (Osaka and Tokyo in particular) were more show than go. Maybe that's changed today. With the exception of the Monster 400, all Monsters have generally had the performance to back the look. BTW, dropping the oil temp still won't alleviate the heat coming off the exhaust. IMO, Monsters aren't "that" bad -- a Ducati Superbike with undertail exhaust in slow moving traffic may be an alternative to a vasectomy lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
a Ducati Superbike with undertail exhaust in slow moving traffic may be an alternative to a vasectomy lol.
LOL!
BTW, dropping the oil temp still won't alleviate the heat coming off the exhaust. IMO, Monsters aren't "that" bad
Ok I was wondering that.
I visited Japan a lot in the 80's, and Bosozoku (Osaka and Tokyo in particular) were more show than go
Yeah their bikes seem to be more like internal combustion musical instruments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love my Monster. But I live in Los Angesles. Air cool + bad design + traffic = burning heat to the point where I had to step off the bike. So it's a fix it or sell it mater for me. I decided to wrap the exhaust section underneath the seat and here we are.

I bought a roll of titanium exhaust wrap 2" x 50' from Amazon for $20 which came with some metal zip ties. The only tools I needed were a needle nose plier and a metal scissor.

First try, I cut out an estimated length a spray the entire wrap with high temp silicone spray and let dry for 15min. Then I wrapped the pipe without removing any part, just patiently accessing the little space there is on the sides of the bike. It's possible. Took me roughly 2 hours total to wrap 2 layers. The O2 sensor was in the way and I just wrapped around it. It worked perfectly. The heat was almost gone. Every here and there in long traffic would I feel some gentle heat again and be reminded that I had made the right choice.

200 miles later, I got the ECU reflashed and decided to remove the O2 sensors instead of just leaving them there. I took off the tank and had more access to the pipe this time. I removed the sensor and the old wrap which came off crumbling like dried overbaked bread. Was it because I bought some cheap crap on Amazon? Or the silicone spray? Or is it just how heat wrap is?

Anyway, I skipped the silicone spray this time, wrapped the pipe 2 layers again, but used more metal zip ties to keep it in place just in case. The wrap covers approximately 12" of the pipe starting from the header. It works as expected again. No burning heat issue.

I used a temperature gun to measure the heat right after the wrapped section and got 110C (engine has warmed up for 5min). I measured the other pipe from the horizontal cyclinder(?) at approximately the same length 12" away from the header, and got 108C. I measured a few times back and forth and the difference was consistently between 1-3 degree Celsius. Does this mean the wrap has no effect on the performance of the exhaust? The vertical pipe is located in a closed space compared to the horizontal pipe seating in open space. This might explain the 2% difference?

If you have issue with heat under your left leg, definitely wrap the exhaust. In the picture, my wrap ends at the lower most metal zip tie that you can see. That's all it takes to get rid of the heat burning your leg. It will also protect the surrounding parts in my opinion.

View attachment 227428

View attachment 227428
Is your R leg burning? My Monster 1200s burns me on the R thigh. I purchased the "wearable heat shield" Hooligan Wrap™ (hooliganwrap.com) and that stopped that issue for me completely.

·
Registered
2012 Monster 796 ABS
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I feel some heat on the right thigh, but just minor discomfort if I was to sit in traffic. Comparing to the left thigh, it's nothing lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts