Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
solenoid issues and question

i just had the starter loop thing occur.. the one where the starter motor keeps running when you turn the bike off... any way.. i had to disconnect my battery to stop it.. and i did so while the bike was running.... i was trying to loosen the negative post to remove it when i turn the bike off but did it too soon by accicent.. i notice there is a sticker on the airbox that sez not to disconnect the battery while the bike is running... so i was wonder, since i did, did i damage something now.

my other question is, i was looking at the circuit and it appears the relay and solenoid are in the same unit.. someone said i had a relay for that.. so the solenoid is the only thing i need to replace, correct...

and also, from looking at the circuit in the manual.. the starter motor keeps turning if the solenoid goes bad and even when the bike is running and being driven.. is this correct. i thought there might be a relay that breaks this starter circuit once the bike starts.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
When you disconnect a battery cable with the bike running there is a possibility you could cause a voltage spike that could damage a solid state part. If everything still works you are fine. The solenoid is the connection from the battery to the starter. Some people call it a relay. Think of it as a magnetic switch. If it sticks in the closed position the motor will continue to spin. Unfortunately the starter will continue to spin until either the battery dies, the starter fries or you disconnect the battery, whichever happens first. Replace the solenoid and you should be good.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i stopped and noticed the starter still going, i turned the engine back on and ran inside to get some tools and franticly removed the seat and upped the gas tank.. i was just going to losened the neg bat bolt and then pop it off when i hit the kill.. oops.. it came off and the engine stopped.. i stilll had the ground of the battery lead connected.. .. yes it still starts fine.. i later looked at the circuit diagram from my user manual and it looks like that in this condition, the starter keeps turning while you are driving except you do not notice it as the starter clutch disengages the starter.. the motor still turns.. i had a new battery in it..

on my model, i noticed that there is a quick release tab for both of the positive leads after the 4oA fuse..there is a y here that splits to two leads.. . so i could have just pulled the side that went to the solenoid out and that would have done it.

i had gone to the market when it happened and i had to return home to disengage it.

as far as replacing it, in another thead ca-cycleworks has one that is supposed to work on all models and is ?better.. . is this
one better than the stock or should i be fine with just replacing it with the stock one for monsters..
it seems like the solenoid should fail in the off position not the on or it should have a relay that disengages the cirucit.

1k thanks for the info, i will sleep better tonight

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no the kill switch would not do it, i was going to hit the kill to stop the engine and then disconnect the battery....... nothing would stop that starter except disconnecting the battery flow to the solenoid... M900S..

i tested the starter button.. i disconnected it, the starter button, and then reconnected the solenoid and it still occured... actually i just touched the motor lead to the solenoid with the starter switch disconnected and it turned the starter motor... i also connected only the starter button to the solenoid and left the motor and battery off and i could hear the relay in it click when i pressed the starter button..

it is quite an unnerving experience for the starter to do that.. all one can think about is "that cannot be good for the engine". glad it did not happen on the road somewhere ..i was just running to the store.. today..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i replaced the solenoid today and that seemed to do it, no issues at all.. and checked my charging system..
13+ volts at around 3k rpm, so no damage to the regulator... .. had to check that.. don't want to get stuck somewhere..

i am convinced low voltage is the culprit, since i do some a bit of in town riding, the bike sits at idle and with the lights on, it actually needs the battery to run .. as i found.. .. ..

·
Banned
303 Posts
since the problem is solved, I have a related question. What is this manual you are talking about? IS there a fix it book for Monsters cause I could really use one.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the original factory manual that came with the bike, it would be under the seat with the tool kit... it is the red book of about 200 half pages that comes with the bike and gives info. if you do not have it, i could scan some of the pages out of it. you see them on ebay sometimes as well, the one i have is for the m900s and m900 chromo

i have a pdf service manual if you need that, it is 29Ms... i can either emial you it in a few zip segments or if you have an ftp site, i can put it there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts