Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been sold.

http://www.ducati.com/shop/product.jsp?catid=cat970166&prodid=prod800180

This is the tank made by DP specifically for the Monster. The bag is not magnetic so it will fit on all Monsters (metal or plastic tank). It uses straps to hold the bag in place. the front wraps under the front part of the trellis and fastens together. The rear part of the bag has elastic-type straps which fasten directly to the trellis beneath the rider. The bag detaches from the base via a zipper to convert into a pretty nice backpack. I had an issue with the zipper which fastens to the base -- the tab snapped off -- but I fashioned a new tab out of a ring and leather strap (you can see it in the photos below). The bag expands to nearly double its size and can hold a lot. I carry spare helmet once in a while and actually all mine and my girls clothes and stuff for a few weekend trips. The top has a clear case for maps and can accept a whole piece of 8.5 x 11 paper -- which is cool if you've had to fold your maps to accommodate too small of a viewer. It also has a rain cover which is tucked in underneath. This works very well. The cover is a little on the soft side, though, and I had to put a little duck-tape on one of the rear-facing edges. In spite of this, it keeps stuff completely dry. I've used it on a couple >1 hr very wet days and not a drop of water gets inside. You can probably tell from the photos that it has a bright reflective stripe around the edge for improved visibility at night. [thumbsup]

I bought the tank bag this summer and used it a fair bit this year. I carried my laptop and change of clothes in it every day this summer/fall to work. But, I've bought the tank bra/bag combination and have no need for this bag anymore. My tank is getting scratched up in the city (I'm sure you've read my other posts about how many times I've been hit by cages while parked) so I've decided to limit future damage with the tank bra. The tank bra requires a different bag attachment style. So, I'm selling this soft one onto to someone else.

I paid $125 for it at the dealer so will start the price at $100 $85 or best offer. I want to get rid of it so email/pm me if you're interested or if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Re: DP soft Tank Bag -- made to fit any Monster

I wanted that bag awhile back but couldn't source it here in HI. I ordered a Marsee, which you may have seen, but sold it immediately because it was too small. you mentioned that the map pocket would hold an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper. Do you think I could put file folders inside the bag? I regularly carry documents with me along with a pair of shorts and t-shirt for the gym. Also you mentioned that you put your laptop in there . . . what type did you have? I have 2 Dell Latitude D820s. they have a 15.4" screen, so not quite as big as the 17" Mac. Do you think that would fit in there?

Where do you live? when I saw your username I thought you might be here in HI.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

island_duc said:
Do you think I could put file folders inside the bag? I regularly carry documents with me along with a pair of shorts and t-shirt for the gym. Also you mentioned that you put your laptop in there . . . what type did you have? I have 2 Dell Latitude D820s. they have a 15.4" screen, so not quite as big as the 17" Mac. Do you think that would fit in there?

PS where do you live?
I carried a Thinkpad T42 in it with papers, clothes, etc without having to expand the bag. The T42 is a 14.1" screen and it fit nearly flat in the bag. While, I couldn't say for sure if a 17" would fit I'm pretty sure that it would, depending on how much else you carried. Also, it can expand partially or fully to accommodate more stuff.

Here's how the T42 and the Mac compare size-wise:
T42: 12.2" x 10.0" x 1.2"
Mac: 15.4" X 10.4" X 1.0"

Based on those dimensions, I'd say that the Mac would fit if you had it at an angle (like the front-facing side down and the rear elevated something like 20-30 degrees??) and/or maybe slightly expanded. The difference is only 3.2" and I didn't have a lot of room to spare (to lay it flat) but I certainly didn't max out the capacity.

I'm in NYC.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

As a follow-up to this sale, I just got and have been using the DP tank bra/bag combination. My main issue is that compared to the DP soft bag (the one for sale above) the bra/bag is about 1/3rd of the size smaller. I don't like to expand tank-bags fully and since the soft bag can hold so much more I rarely had to expand it. But, the bra/bag has to be expanded to hold what the soft-bag could hold collapsed. The soft bag is wider, longer and deeper.

I need the protection of the bra to keep cars from doing any more scratching, so it's staying. But, it made me appreciate the size of the DP soft-bag even more.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Price drop notice! I've lowered the asking price to $85 or best offer for a bag I bought this July and used for a few months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts