Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few miles I'll have 2K on the bike.
Scheduling that first service for next week, with a request to yank that 02 sensor out and put a nut or bolt or plug or WHATEVER in the hole.
That issue is a non issue now.

I"ve checked the chain tension, it's within specs.
Changed the oil/filter at 410. (not necessarily related, but so ya know)
Cam belts are within spec.
Critical bolts torque checked.

On to something odd, which I did a search on and found 1 answer/reply to the post.

My clutch fluid is dark, translucent black.
A search yielded "dont' worry about it" and "A tech guy told me that's because the clutch hose leaches color".

ooookay. BUT

About 10% of the time off a red light stand still I get a slight metal grinding in the clutch. I can feel it in my fingers literally. It disappears once I'm up and going. Started noticing this about a week ago.

The last couple of days I feel like the clutch lever is getting soft. It's not a responsive (first to second). I've also hit a handful of false Neutrals these last few weeks, and a couple of missed gears ( highly unusual for me personally).

SO......any thoughts?

·
Banned
897 Posts
Clutch fluid color is normal, I don't think the clutch line is any more likely to leach color than the brake line, but what do I know.

Are you blingin' the open clutch cover yet? Maybe try some compressed air to blow out any crap?

Soft lever.... have you tried bleeding it? I know, air shouldn't simply show up in there, but you never know.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Clutch fluid going 'dark' is typical.
It's small particles, because if you let the bike sit, they will settle to the bottom of the reservoir.
IMO, therefore, it's metal particles wearing off of the master and slave cylinder pistons and bores.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the soft lever/noise/false neutrals go:

Throwout bearing in the pressure plate may be giving up.
Slave cylinder may have sprung a leak.

Clutch noise/vibration could be due to glazed plates, caused by needing to slip the clutch a lot in city traffic.
Could also be from grease on the plates, if the throwout bearing seal has died.

False neutrals and missed gears can be caused by the clutch not releasing fully, which would be a symptom of the above failures.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
You are going to the dealer with a problem on a bike under warranty. Your job is to describe as accurately as possible the complaint. It is then their job to diagnose the problem and do the repair.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bled the line, blew out the clutch basket. I got my swagger back. ;) >:D
15 minutes later, the clutch action is just like the day I bought it and I couldn't throw false no matter how I went at it.

baadaaboo, I haven't had a first service yet. This 2K visit will be their 600 service. Although we did it ourselves for all intents and purposes.

Thanks for taking the time to think this through with me guys. [thumbsup]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts