Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we moved form SF to New England about a year ago when we lost our jobs. We hate the weather so we're moving back.
My family lives in Santa Monica and we're talking about moving closer to LA this time to be around them (within a 2 hour drive is fine too). That said, we did some research on places we've never been. Maybe someone from the SoCal group could shed a little insight on these places we're considering?

1. San Bernardino
2. Aneheim
3. Santa Anna
4. El Cajon (SD)
5. Pasadena (too expensive?)
6. Your opinion?

Combined salary for Kathryn and I are not great, but we'd like to buy a condo/home in the $250k range. We just don't see that happening in LA or San Diego. We also don't like overpopulation and traffic. I know, I know, LA and SD are bad that way...but that's why we're thinking about 1 hour from the city(s).
We're warm weather people and we don't like living in the middle of 'nowhere'. However, we don't like living on top of our neighbor either. We like mt. biking and museums and nightlife...at the core we're city people, but we can't afford it. that's why we're thinking of going a little further out.
Any light you can shed on these places, or other places you could suggest, we'd really appreciate it!
Hope to see you soon!
Thanks.
Tarik

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Welcome!

El Cajone puts you in the heart of mountain bike and sportbike country. Too fun! Cheap too!

Regards,
Rideon

·
Registered
385 Posts
Don't count out Santa Clarita, just north of the San Fernando valley.
You will still be close to everything, also GREAT rides are close enough to get a few short ones in whenever you have time.

There are still some decent deals on condos out there also, my friend sold his 2+2 last year for 230k, it was only 1 1/2 yo.
Everything in SoCal is EXPENSIVE though.....

Good luck! and welcome back.....

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was next on my list. Kathryn's brother was born there.
Is there much of a town in Temecula?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Temecula is next to palomar mountain, mecca of rides. One of my patients who seemed informed said that the reason all of the turns are banked "perfectly" is because they had to get the telescope to the observatory, and the roads were engineered to that purpose.

Palomar is addictive. Imagine ripping up a mountain road course, your choice of fast sweepers (east side) or tight twistys (west side) within 15 minutes of suburban extasy. (That be Temecula)

too good!
Rideon

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
T33:

I can put you in touch with a sportrider that has a spousal unit that lives in Temecula. He is a intelligent gregarious person, loves Ducs but currently rides a RC51. If you would like to give him a call at work, I am sure he can give you the low down on living in Temecula. He has tried several places in San Diego before settling there. Just PM me with your phone, I wll call and give you details.

Regards,
Rideon

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Hey I make my residence in Temecula. So far its a great place to live. We even have a mall and a Trader Joes. ;D How much more do you need. And your only 15 miles by way of the back way to the Palomar roads.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
1. s h it h o l e
2. has nice areas but expect to pay $400K plus to live in them.
3. same as number 2 but expect to pay $600K plus
4. ok, kinda hot.
5. expensive.
6. temucula is cool. hot as well since it's inland. but better then any of your other suggestions.
Santa Ana is more expensive than Anaheim? Where are the 600k neighborhoods in Santa Ana?

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
1. San Bernardino
If you are inclined to look at the Inland Empire, I would look at the Riverside area before San Bernardino. Nick could tell you more. The cost of living is fairly decent out there, and you're only about an hour from L.A.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Valley center by Escondido is rural but close to the city, housing still about cheapest in North County San Diego. Expect to commute to work and I-15 is horrible unless you go to work very early.

G

·
I assume you are posting here becuase you ride. We have some of the best roads around which you can ride 365 a year. I live in Fallbrook which is close to Temecula. Both are great towns. Yes we get hot in the summer but isn't that why God invented perforated jackets? Can you find a house in your price range? Yes , but it depends on what you are willing to settle for. Good Luck!

G

·
Temecula is next to palomar mountain, mecca of rides.
ok.....

Tarik, you've got a tough choice. Temecula is cheaper, but away from everything. San Bernardino is a hole, but somewhat cheap. El Cajon is to *******/gangsta for my tastes. My vote would be Pasadena or some of the other towns along the 210. You've got the mountains on one side and LA is fairly close.

Santa Clarita would be a good bet also. I live there and I know there a condo's in that range here. It's clean, somewhat safe, and you can be in Hollywood in 40 minutes. Plus it has the best motorcycle roads that no one knows about. And you can get to the other major LA riding spots within 40 to an hour. Good luck whatever you choose.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Tarik,

Some of the responses so far are a little over-generalized...realistically, I know there's sh!thole available in 4 of the cities on your list, but I don't know anything about El Cajon. I imagine it's got bad parts as well.
I've worked in Anaheim and that's near Santa Ana, and there's definitely bad areas there, but there are nicer areas to the east of them. Pasadena has everything from grim to way out of your reach, I lived there for 10 years and my dad still lives there. I can't really recommend San Bernardino. There may be some nice areas there, but I'm not that familiar with it. Riverside has the full range of bad to excellent also.

IMHO, what it really depends on is where you need to work, and how long a commute you can deal with. I live in Riverside, and work in Signal Hill near Long Beach. It's a 50 mile drive, and regularly takes me 2 hours. I can't really recommend it....If you and Kathryn can work most anywhere, then your options are much more friendly.

Generally, the further inland you get, the more house and/or property you get for your money. Accompanied by wider extremes in temperature. At my house, it occasionally gets a little below freezing in the winter, and regularly gets into the low 100's here in the summer. I bought my house for about half of what you guys are planning on, but that was 11 years ago. It's an old house, 1200 sq ft, and I've got 6/10 of an acre. Neighborhood is fair. I'd gladly trade the land for a better area ad/or a nicer house now. Priorities were a bit different when I bought my house....
-------------edit-----------------
P.S. There's nice riding down near Ppoittras, Rideon and Ducman, and equally nice riding out near Supafly and Ducseven. I know 'cause I regularly ride the 50 miles or so to get to 'em.....

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Tarik I can give you my realtors name and number if youare interested and he can give you the complete lowdown on the area around me (Temecula, Murrietta, Lake Elsinore, ect)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
hey if you need any crime stats I can get those to ya, since I just finished a project on that for my criminal justice major. Also temecula's palisades mall has a plethora of hot chicks. and i mean HOT!!! too bad most of them are 14 and dress like hookers. the hot ones are the older ones of course.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Too funny.
Rideon-thanks for the offer. I'd love to get in touch with anyone with knowledge of the area.
Ducman851, I'd appreciate any info you have on realtors/location. Just pm me with that if you can.
I really appreciate everyone's $0.02.
We're completely unfamiliar with Southern CA and would like to make an educated decision about where we'll live. Such as...I had no idea San Bernardino was a hole. Or that Temecula was so happening.
I bought a pricey book with info on CA in general and a great map of SoCal and we're plotting some places you guys have suggested. We're planning a trip out there where we'll rent a car and do a nice old loop to get a feel for places on our map.If there's anything else, please keep posting. My family in Santa Monica loves LA (of course). Kathryn's family in SD loves SD. No one wants us to live far from the city, but we don't make the $ to live in Santa Monica/SD :-/
We've visited and enjoyed Hermosa Beach, La Jolla, Newport, etc. -they're just too expensive. I'd love to live on the water, but I don't see it happening with our income.
Like I said before, I don't mind living a little further out. I don't think I could deal with a 2 hour commute.
Keep it coming-I'm forwarding all this info to Kathryn and our family out there!
Thanks!
Tarik

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Ill get you all his info. Hes a great guy, when we came out last Sept. he showed us 16 houses in 2 days to make sure we were able to fing the one we wanted.

Check out this web site it has some good info on the area

http://www.city-data.com/city/Temecula-California.html

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome site! Thanks man.
Temecula is looking really good. I'm applying to a Construction Manager position there this week. We'll see :)
Has anyone gone through Temecula? Is there a town center other than the 'old town'? What other place does it compare to in size/feel? It reminds me of Napa. Apart from how it looks a little stuck in the middle of nowhere (like Napa), it seems there's much to offer within the city limits. If anyone has been there, I'd love to hear what your impressions were. We're buying plane tickets this weekend for a March visit. We'll probably drive a million miles by the time we're done with our one week there. Hopefully I can line up a few interviews in places we're considering.
Anyhow, any more info on Temecula and other places would would be sweet.
Thanks!
Tarik

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
It sounds like you are looking to buy. BUT if you want to live on the beach the SOUTHERN part of Venice (closest to Marina Del Ray) is pretty affordable (in rent), and not slummy. We got a LOT more "kick assedness" there (A/C, ocean view, w/d in unit) for LESS than we would have paid for LESS (no a/c no w/d no ocean view) in Santa Monica.

I haven't read the entire thread to know what size place you want, or how much you want to pay.

Just an idea.

I wrote the below after I read the entire thread :-D

Opps, almost forgot. in Playa Del Rey, just NORTH of LAX and just SOUTH of Marina Del Ray they are building MEGA condos and stuff. All sorts of price ranges and sizes. I KNOW they have some things in your price range, but I'm not sure if they are all taken or not. I don't feel like Play Del Ray is even a real town, it's like a few streets and this mega condo wonderland. Liek I said it's REALLY close to the airport, and it's 5 minutes from Santa Monica, 5 minute drive (15 minute bycicle ride) to the beach.

http://www.playavista.com/homes/

Also, you are about 15/20 minutes away on PCH to get to all the Malibu ride spots. Getting to ACh and stuff requires a good bit of Superslab, but it's not bad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts