Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
DUMBEST question I have heard since I bought it!

(as he gets on his new R-6)

"Because it's NOT a f*ckin cookie-cutter Jap bike! ;D

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
So many people are just confused by Ducatis. Sometimes it even goes the other way. The other night some guy asked me if my Ducati (907) was faster than a Hayabusa. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Anyone who doesn't own a Ducati will never understand.

I mistakenly called some guys CBR600RR an R6 over the weekend (looks like it from the rear) since it was blue. He was quick to correct me. That's when I thought to myself, "That's WHY I bought a Ducati".

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I have got a good one for y'all.

So last yesterday I went to pick up my Monster.
Rented a pick-up from Enterprise (not too bad by the way).
Was driving to Conn. from central NY. fastest route was route 81 to 17 to 84 to Danbury. Anyways, I realized about halfway down 17 that it was only 55, and I was cruising about 80. Didn't see 1 cop on the entire way to Conn. Loaded the bike and got back on 17. figured nobody was around or on the highway so i bumped it back up to 80. Right outside Damascus, NY I was planning on retightening the straps when I look in the rearview and saw flashing lights on both sides of the monster in the mirror. So I pulled into the rest area and prepared to hand over my license and my livelyhood for the rest of the summer. Here is how the exact conversation went.

State Trooper: "Now, I am not going to even ask you if you knew what you were doing because by the way you reacted in the mirror, I think you knew you were speeding."

Me: "Yup"

S.T. : "I can also see that this truck is a rental, and judging by the fact that your bike has no plates, I am going to assume that you just picked it up. I know you're a little excited so try and keep it closer to the speed limit."

Me: "You're kidding, right? No ticket?"

S.T. : "Nope, just calm down a little. But I was planning on pulling you over anyways."

Me: "Why?"

S.T. "Because I wanted to find out what type of bike you had in the back of the truck. I saw it from the other side of the road and really liked what I saw so I figured I could get you to pull over and check it out."

Turns out the Statey rides an old KZ1000 (the old CHP's bike) but has been looking for a different bike. After starting the monster in the back of the truck, he was hooked.

I guess we helped each other out in that respect. But I am also very lucky.

·
Registered
403 Posts
A little full of ourselves aren't we. :-/

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Because you get to say really cool things....

to chicks like "Wanna hop on my Monster and go for a ride?" and (in my case w/ Italian heritage) "Wanna put a hot Italian between your legs?" ;)

Okay...because I love the way the Monster looks.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I don't discount the japanese bikes. They do have a lot of speed and if that's what you want then go for it.

BUT..I don't like to be the same as everyone else and all those bikes look the same to me. You throw a Monster into the mix and then you see Italian style and originality. My 620 is not the fastest but I get comments everyday.

When the guy asked me "So WHY a Ducati?" It was in the tone of his voice that I knew he was being an A$$ about it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
DUMBEST question I have heard since I bought it! ....
On my inaugural ride I was asked the following....

"Who makes that?"

"Never heard of Ducati."

"Is that made by Harley?" :eek:

okay...the last guy may have been a bit confused as I WAS wearing a Buell helmet. ::)

Of the bikes I have owned or currently own [ Honda, Harley, Buells ] the Monster gets the most compliments from riders and non-riders alike.

Oh... and I like it too. ;D

I tell them I got it because of the super easy clutch pull. :mad:

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
It is funny because Ducati is the only brand I know of that people ask 'why' of. At our local bike night there are rows and rows of Harleys and Jap bikes. People will walk up and down the rows looking at bikes and never stop by the owner and ask why they bought it. But I always have people ask me either why I bought it or what it is. No other bike gets comments/noticed as much as a Ducati does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have ridden both. Today I was riding an R6 (owner is not a mechanic and had shifting troubles) to test it out. To me the ducati "fits" I got on the yammy and it seemed like a machine, cold and no spirit. I get on the S4R we are riding down the street and people stop and look they feel the spirit and soul ooozing out of it. Yammy doesn't even come close.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts