Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..................and "Maya" got to explore California a little. ;D

Finishing my last load of "Snow Birds" in Palm Springs I already knew I would have to be laying over in the LA area for two to three days, so I took advantage of the situation and snagged "Maya" from the garage on the way through Oklahoma.

I left my rig at the shop in Fontana for some varied PM services to be done over the weekend, and awakened my sleepy girl to a bright Sunny and warm California day.

After making short work of the moderate LA traffic, and making my way over the "Grapevine" to Bakersfield. I proceeded N.E. up State Hwy 178 to Kern Canyon. At the mouth to the canyon it seemed that the quality of the ride was going to be compromised by road destruction. :p

Happily the destruction only lasted for a mile or so, and emptied into what is a glorious twisty canyon road. [clap]

Arriving @ Lake Isabella I gave my long time friend and customer Joe a call, as I was going to see the new improvements he had made to his new estate. I also would be dining with him and his girl friend, and staying at his place for the night. [thumbsup]

Joe said he had been delayed by traffic in LA, and wondered if I would mind waiting for them to arrive in a couple of hours? No problem amigo! [laugh] I'm on the Duc, and I'm sure I can find something to do in the meantime. [cheeky]

So I proceeded to take a brisk ride around the lake and explore a few of the tasty back roads in the area. [thumbsup]

I arrived at the gates to Joe's place about 15 min. before Joe and his girl friend came growling up in his beautiful black Ferrari Testarossa. Up his newly paved private drive we went to a drastically improved house and grounds. "Maya" like any female, headed directly to the patio surrounding his Infinity pool to soak up some rays and enjoy his breathtaking view of Lake Isabella and the surrounding mountains. [laugh]

After introducing Maya to Joe in intimate detail, we took to touring the new improvements, and just out of the corner of my eye I notice this very tiny infant Diamond Back Rattlesnake probing the foundation of Joe's house looking for an entry point. :eek:

I Quickly pulled my best Steve Irwin impression and safely secured our unwanted guest in a small decanter. He made a wonderful centerpiece for our cookout, and sparked many conversations. After dinner I took our cute, but potentially deadly young friend to a more suitable location and promptly released him unharmed. [thumbsup]

In the Morning I bid adieu to Joe and his girlfriend, and at his advice took the wonderfully twisty and picturesque CA State Hwy 155 West down out of the mountains. [thumbsup] Keeping in mind Joe's warning to watch out for the "Marbles"(tiny little round balls of gravel that are as slippery as ball bearings), Leaf litter, and scattered acorns that are prevalent on this road. :-\

By hanging off a little more and keeping Maya more up on the meat of her tires we were still able to have a very enjoyable ride. We even ran across a few fellow sport bike enthusiasts in the process who after long rubbernecking stares of admiration at Maya proceeded to repeat Joe's warning of the Marbles, and wish us both a beautiful ride. [thumbsup]

I followed 155 all the way to the Kern Nat. Wildlife Refuge, where I turned South to Link up with CA State Hwy 46.

We took advantage of the painfully straight, flat, and barren miles in between. >:D

The line of sight was for many miles in all directions with nothing more than vacant fields all around, and no other traffic or animals larger than a ground squirrel. :p What better place to cut loose on a S4Rs? [laugh]

After two separate romps up to the rev limiter in 6th, I can tell you that a Termi equipped Rs running stock gearing will bury its speedometer in a very short almost Busa amount of time, even with it's rider wearing a fairly large backpack. [laugh][clap] She felt very light, but extremely stable right up till the rev limiter abruptly cut in. [thumbsup] After stopping to check her tire wear, fuel level, and noticing the heavily bobbled/balled up tread in the center of her tire, and not knowing just exactly how far the next gas station was I reluctantly resumed a more socially acceptable pace. :'(

As we rode west of I-5, 46 turned into some of the most beautiful high-speed sweepers I've sampled to date. We fell into a very brisk sporting pace almost all the way to Paso Robles. [thumbsup]

The "PCH" (Pacific Coast Highway/ CA State Hwy 1), and the other adjoining roads that follow the shore line is a truly magical place to ride! Especially with the light traffic that I was encountering. Picturesque views are every where and smooth flowing roads abound. This is a fantasy ride of sorts. [thumbsup] [clap] Only the CA 1 south of Monterey interests my riding and adventure tastes more, at least in this part of the country anyway. [cheeky] ;)

It started really cooling off at dark so I pulled into Lompoc for the Night. It appeared to be a fairly quiet/sleepy little city, but going by the number of rather unsavory people wandering the streets, I didn't fell totally safe leaving Maya outside in the parking lot unattended overnight. So I took the same route as She Monster did when staying in Gallup, NM. on the way back from T-Birds Ouray, CO. rally in August of this year. Maya slept inside (unmolested) with me. I was able to sleep much sounder knowing she was close at hand also. [thumbsup]

In the morning we finished our run down the PCH taking in Gaviota, Isla Vista, Santa Barbara, Malibu, the Santa Monica Pier, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, and the Palos Verdes Estates. [thumbsup]

Our little adventure through for the day, I took Maya for a little fresh water bath to rinse off any of the Ocean air's nasty little corrosive additives. ;) Stopped at yet another of Maya's favorite and most frequented locations of the journey, and let her drink heavily. [laugh]

Then it was a mad dash up the rapidly clogging I-110 to Joe's other home in Pasadena. We let Maya commune with some of her Italian cousins (Joe's Testarossa, his Daytona Spyder, his 308GT, and his beautiful little Dino) in his rather large livery, while Joe and I retreated to Old town Pasadena for some great food and even better conversation. [thumbsup]

I rode back to Fontana, picked up my freshly PM'd rig, Loaded Maya back aboard, and slept soundly having had an awesome time during my forced California Break. ;D ;D ;D Now Joe wants a Monster of his own!!! [cheeky]

If anyone would care to add any further additional great rides in the area to this thread, please do so. Word of mouth from other riders and enthusiasts is always much better, and more accurate than any travel agent can provide! ;D

~SHADOWCHASER ;)

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Damn it...... I wish I had know you were around..... I ride the 155 and the 178 in the canyon all the time.

Great pics [thumbsup]

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Great pics SC!! We had a few rattlers up in Camp Verde last year trying to get in the house. Unfortunately, they got a bullet instead. :-\ I wasn't the shooter btw.

That pic in front of the ocean and golf course is a great shot!!

You coming down to the Palm Beaches now for a ride?! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bobspapa said:
d**n it...... I wish I had know you were around..... I ride the 155 and the 178 in the canyon all the time.

Great pics [thumbsup]
Oh Dude! Sorry BP! :'(

I'm still learning were everyone is located. :-\

You've got some awesome territory to ride in! >:D I envy your location greatly! ;)

I usually don't get much advance notice of these things, but the next time I get a chance in this area I'll definitely give you the heads up! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IZ said:
Great pics SC!! We had a few rattlers up in Camp Verde last year trying to get in the house. Unfortunately, they got a bullet instead. :-\ I wasn't the shooter btw.

That pic in front of the ocean and golf course is a great shot!!

You coming down to the Palm Beaches now for a ride?! [thumbsup]
Hope to Adam,............I've got your digits, just be sure to let me know if they change.

Oklahoma is going to start getting nasty out now till spring, Florida would be a welcome change of pace for sure! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
SHADOWCHASER said:
Oh Dude! Sorry BP! :'(

I'm still learning were everyone is located. :-\

You've got some awesome territory to ride in! >:D I envy your location greatly! ;)

I usually don't get much advance notice of these things, but the next time I get a chance in this area I'll definitely give you the heads up! [thumbsup]
The canyon is about 10 miles from my place [thumbsup]

About 7 miles in to the canyon is where I went over the edge ;D

Hopefully after seeing your pics...some of the socal guys will finally want to head over the hill for a ride.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
bobspapa said:
Damn it...... I wish I had know you were around..... I ride the 155 and the 178 in the canyon all the time.

Great pics [thumbsup]
and many of us here in the santa monica/malibu/LA area wish we'd known you were coming through!!! don't do that again! :mad: ;D

terrific write-up, thanks for taking the time. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jedi Knight said:
very nice write up
Markus said:
SC, you need more pics of your bike ;) J/K

Great thread! I'm completely jealous. Riding season is about over up here until next May so seeing shots of beautiful scenery and great roads makes me a bit sad

*sigh*

Thanks for sharing
:)
Thanx Jedi, and Markus. :)

You guys will have to try to make it to T-Birds 07' Ouray Rally! [thumbsup]

Or even plan a large ride in your favorite areas. Given enough notice here you'll be surprised how many DML Hooligans will show up. ;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Super SWEET!!! Loved the pictures and detail....felt like I was along for the ride. Now I'm ready for winter to be over and It hasn't even started yet.

Thanks for posting SC [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Ditto the comment on the terrific photos. Man I miss living out west. The Florida panhandle just isn't that picturesque once you leave the shoreline. Great write-up. Wish I could have been with you.

BTW, it was nice of you to pay a visit to your poor, destitude friend. [laugh]

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thumper said:
Jeez man, those are spectacular pictures!!!!!!!!

You should sell some of those to Motorcyclist Magazine. The quality of some of those photos is great.
Thanx a million Thumper! :) Not too bad for a cheapo 6MP eh?

bobspapa said:
The canyon is about 10 miles from my place [thumbsup]

About 7 miles in to the canyon is where I went over the edge ;D

Hopefully after seeing your pics...some of the socal guys will finally want to head over the hill for a ride.
7 miles in? Damnit man, glad your still with us!

gm2 said:
and many of us here in the santa monica/malibu/LA area wish we'd known you were coming through!!! don't do that again! :mad: ;D

terrific write-up, thanks for taking the time. [thumbsup]
Thanx gm2! I'll definately have to start getting to know the whole So Cal group since I get to LA so often. ;)

EvilSteve said:
Thanks for the jealousy-inducing post there mate, glad you enjoyed yourself. [thumbsup]
Had a blast Steve! I hadn't had a chance to ride the PCH since the 1st year I bought my 04' S4R, and had never had a bike up in Kern Canyon or the 155. Took a few hair raising rides with joe in the Testarossa, and that was enough to prompt this visit! [laugh]

gr8ciehall said:
Super SWEET!!! Loved the pictures and detail....felt like I was along for the ride. Now I'm ready for winter to be over and It hasn't even started yet.

Thanks for posting SC [thumbsup]
Thanx gr8ciehall your gonna love that new fella of yours I'm sure. Be sure to share all the details with the rest of us! ;)

DucSeason said:
Ditto the comment on the terrific photos. Man I miss living out west. The Florida panhandle just isn't that picturesque once you leave the shoreline. Great write-up. Wish I could have been with you.

BTW, it was nice of you to pay a visit to your poor, destitude friend. [laugh]
Yeah Joe's a pretty good "Joe". He lets me play with his Italian girls, and has awesome tastes in machinery. [thumbsup] ;D

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Great write up & pictures!!

I gotta get back to the Mainland USA so I can ride! Dammit! It's frustrating here.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Hey Shadowchaser, did you notice any changes with all the work you've done?

BTW, I'm sooo jealous. That really looks like it was as spectacular as you were expecting. Good for you! [thumbsup]

Tanya

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.