Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was fun and the leetle monster did good ;D

Thanks to BigIain, Chris, my flatmate Zee and his pal Boris for a v cool few days. OH yeah and mostro900 ;) Somebody pleeeeeease ask him how the ride went for him.....*snigger*

·
Registered
491 Posts
mostro.
whats the scoop?

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Photos will be comig soon....... ???

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Yes, well a very fun event and all for a good cause. 5 of us rode down on Thursday and stayed in a lovely little chalet in Thredbo - thank you Zee for arranging.

Friday we decided to do the loop around the mountains heading from Thredbo to Jindabyne, then Dalgetty, Berridale, Adaminaby, Cabramurra, Khancoban and back to Thredbo. A distance of about 334kms. We were having an absolute blast, lovely twisties, fresh mountain air, great company and good weather.

At one of the dams I stopped to wait for Chris and Lil and in doing so, I removed my helmet.(this is omen number 1)....they caught up and we went on our merry way.
I, however, had a bug crawling around on my right ear, annoying me, but cause I had my ear plugs in I thought it would be ok to continue - the little blighter wasn't about to crawl into my ear. After 20mins of this, I had to stop, things were getting unbearable. I ripped off my helmet, squashed whatever as there and ended up with black squishy stuff over my ear(never found out what it was..) OK, helmet back on, let's go.

At the turnoff to Khancoban about 3 kms out of town, the rest of the gang were pulled over on the side of the road waiting for us. I pulled in and stopped with the rest of them. The others caught up and we decided to head into town for lunch. I fired up the beast, was slowly pulling out and letting the clutch out, when something bit me on the stomach....DAMN!! clutch sprung out, bike is all over the place, but manage to pull it up, just short of dropping it(omen number 2....the bug infestation continues...) damn thing hurt! kept rubbing my tummy to squash the bugger as wew rode into town, but he got me again just before pulling over in Khancoban. I ended up with 2 nice little red bite marks on my tummy....again...no sighting of the culprit...not even remains...

So nice steak ***** in the cafe, tanks filled and off we go. Only 80kms left to go now. Some very lovely twisties through this part of the world, although the jellybean alert had been sent out, so we were being cautious. About 10kms from Thredbo, we came around a corner(with white scrape marks on the road) and confronted a cop car, numerous bikers, a mangled bike and a biker lying on the road(Mr Lawstop himself). We don't have any details on that particular incident as yet and Boris said he saw a bike down in the gully, so there may have been 2 of them involved. We slowly passed through and as we rounded another corner a car in front of us had the hazard lights going...immediate thoughts of "OK, what now?!?", anyway, it turned out to be a mother emu and about 6 chicks crossing the road - amazing sight! This may have been omen number 3 or 4(if the previous accident was number 3), but then Lil and Chris(I think) saw a black brumby/stallion near the road, so that sounds like omen territory to me - perhaps number 5 ???

Back to the tale and we continue past the car and the emu family outing and a kilometre on or so, a cop car passes us in the other direction - heading no doubt, for the accident scene we had just passed. Our fearless leader then evaluated the situation and figured that since Mr Plod and all his mates were at an accident scene, surely there couldn't be any others hiding in the bushes up ahead and so decided to flush out the air filter a little bit....

All going very well and having lots of fun until someone decided to catch-up to the front boys and in a momentary loss of concentration headed into a corner a little too hot. This was about the 5th last corner in the day, about 3kms from home and smack bang in Dead Horse Gap(remember the black brumby!!), so needless to say, naming rights to Mr Ed have already been claimed and I also stake that corner in my name. I was just looking for the highest corner in Oz to stumble on....

Sooooo, right hand turn, bit deceptive, ran wide, but had bike upright and as the corner swept back around to the left, I could see my road re-entry.....silly me, I had the bloody front brake going instead of the rear and so at the first opportunity in the gravel, Mr & Mrs Brembo decided to grab that rotor and squeeze it. Wheel slammed over to the left, bike went down on the left and I went tumbling. Slight red mark on my right temple, very sore neck from being rolled along, but otherwise not too bad for wear.

I actually got straight up nad thought that things weren't that bad, so I'll hop back on....got the bike up with all the attached flora and went to throw into 1st...pity that the gear lever was bent back like a pretzel....there goes that idea. Just as that happened, Boris, who I had been following, returns with Big and Zee and then Chris and Lil show up.

I lost my throttle as well, so a quick fix as applied....bent the gear lever back into shape(well, sort of) and upped the idle speed to about 4000. I now had a bike I could ride back to Thredbo. Left handlebar high in the air and using the fast idle lever(word is on the tip of my tongue...must be the concussion!) as a throttle. I managed to get it into 3rd and about 80kmh, so thanks to Big for sorting that out for me and letting me ride the damaged beast home.

So, now the question is if the assesor will write the bike off or not and if I i'll end up with another bike or not...but needless to say, it will be a Monster and it will have a dry clutch.

Snowy Riders...feel free to post your recollections....

·
Premium Member
885 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
last lot from me...

Attachments

G

·
Ivan,

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark!
Shite, glad to hear you're OK. I left a message for you, will try to call a bit later..

Don't worry about the bike, bling etc it can be replaced. It's the things that money can't buy that are important, and your health and safety are two important ones

btw, love the name of the image of the DP pipes. Consider it raised, but only if it is a write off, otherwise I still got the upper hand [thumbsup]

·
Registered
491 Posts
Holy crap Mostro.
Glad you are ok.
Lucky you had those excellent mirrors on your bike. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
The good thing is you are ok Ivan [thumbsup]

Track school for you next year [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
goldFiSh said:
Ivan,

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark!
Shite, glad to hear you're OK. I left a message for you, will try to call a bit later..

Don't worry about the bike, bling etc it can be replaced. It's the things that money can't buy that are important, and your health and safety are two important ones

btw, love the name of the image of the DP pipes. Consider it raised, but only if it is a write off, otherwise I still got the upper hand [thumbsup]
Yeah, I'm OK. Just calling CTP insurance now to find out if any physio can be claimed....neck/shoulder quite sore.

pipes may even find a new home depending on the insurance assessment ! ;)

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
kickstart said:
Holy crap Mostro.
Glad you are ok.
Lucky you had those excellent mirrors on your bike. ;)
yeah, way to go...finally figured out how to fix them onto the bike(thanks Big!) and then I go and trash 'em. At least now there is a reason as to why you can't see **** in them !

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Paul.C said:
The good thing is you are ok Ivan [thumbsup]

Track school for you next year [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Thanks Paul.

and that is a BIG YES ! track day stocking fillers kindly accepted [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
mostro900 said:
....pipes may even find a new home....
yeah, right............anyone out there wants a set of lucky remus pipes?
pipes were in 2 accidents, however, on both occasions the owners survived; hence their nickname "lucky remus"

PM ivan with offers >:D

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
mostro900 said:
last lot from me...
We didn't get a photo of this pre-dodgy-brothers-repair, but it was remarkably similar to this:

It's amazing what you can do with a 6 inch shifter and a spark plug socket from Chris's S4R toolkit ;)

big

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Lillith said:
Well it was fun and the leetle monster did good ;D
Yeah, it was a great deal of fun! You guys all shoulda been there...

Large thanks to Zee for organising the top-class accommodation.

There's talk that next year may be the last one (thats what the organisers have announced, a lot of the sponsors are apparently trying hard to convince then to continue). I floated the idea to Zee that next year we make a concerted effort to get stamped at _all_ the checkpoints - that'd make for around 550-ish km between 9am and 4pm on the Saturday including 7 or 8 stops to get the cards stamped. For those who don't know, the way the ride is organised, they have 7 or 8 "checkpoints" where you can get your entry card stamped, and every card with 3 or more stamps goes into a draw to win $20,000 worth of whatever motorcycle(s) you want at a Honda dealer. This year they had checkpoints at Thredbo, Jindabyne, Dalgety, Bombala, Berridale, Cooma, and Kahncoban, so to get all of them you'd need to do the whole 330-ish km loop we did on the Friday plus add in Dalgety to Bombala (~70km) then Bombala to Cooma (~110km) and Cooma back to Berridale (~30km).

They've already announced the dates for next year - I _think_ it's Nov 10 but I don't have it in front of me right now, but I assume it'll be up on the website sometime soon.

So, who's up for next year?

big

G

·
bigiain said:
Nah, it seems I managed to misplace my camera at a very drunken halloween party a few weeks back...

no-photos-big
bummer. big needs santa to bring him a nice new ixus or similar [thumbsup]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts