Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can I come and play too ?
Sounds more fun in here than over there.

Right who's up for a South Coast Monster ride after the silly season?
As soon as Andy1000 is back from OS we have to make a plan.

Lets get the band of mistreats back together :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Australia, I presume.
I live in the states, east coast. Hubby and I are planning a 5 week trip to Australia in 2017. We have a friend in Melbourne who is going on our coastal journey with us, and will have a couple of bikes ready for us. We plan on riding up to the Great Barrier Reef and scuba diving then work our way back. We have put some things down. Any suggestions as to what not to miss while there?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hay Monstagirl

Wow that is a long..... long...... long..... ride LOL
you will see a lot of the East coast of Oz
There are just so many good roads between Victoria and Queensland , I regularly ride down from Sydney to Phillip Island to watch the Moto GP and there are some stunning roads through the Alpine National park The Boning Hwy etc
great Pubs to stay in or even amazing places to camp.

There are a number of books available that list the best riding roads in Oz I would recommend you pick one up.
Be mindfull of the wildlife Kangaroo's are out at dawn and dusk and some roads at that time are like playing Russian roulette and also Wombats which are the size of Pit bull but with real short legs hitting one of those would be like running into a wheelbarrow full of concrete , that said I have never hit one so its kind of like sharks you would be very unlucky to be eaten. LOL
From Melbourne to Sydney down properly is a three day ride if you keep off the Hwy from Sydney to Cairns at the GBR
could take you up to a week with many a by pass such as the Oxley Hwy out west to Walcha and many many other great open country roads.
Start planning now , Im jealous :)
Dez

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Dez! Sounds like a lot of what we want to do on our list. I wanted to go cross to the island because of the awesome loop you can do but it's too expensive to do as an add in. There will be plenty of beautiful roads on the mainland. I also thought it may be cheaper to rent a bike once on the island and do a puddle jumper to there. But I would have to look further into. We def have started planning. We may be in a different place but we did a 6 week trip across the US and back. Amazing times.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey Monstergirl ... that sounds like a BIG ride ... something well beyond my old body I reckon.

You had me going there for a bit - I assume by 'the Island' you mean Tasmania? In bike terms 'the Island' typically refers to Phillip Island.

A five week return trip from Melbourne to Cairns! Two weeks up, a week diving a live aboard off Cairns and another two weeks riding back? ... I'd be concerned you wouldn't have enough time to enjoy yourself let alone the ride. But hey that might just be my own apprehensions.

Depending on timing and availability if you are passing close enough to Sydney perhaps we could organise a catch-up / join you for part of the ride ... but in reality you may not have the time. Hope that the planning and the trip all go well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Haven't been on in a while. Lol, yes I was referring to Tasmania.
There a several people we know over there. Some in Melbourne and others in Brisbane and Queensland area. Several people will be riding with us even if it's just a day or two all along the way. So once we get our route down I will post here. We gave our friends our interest points but we are leaving the planning to them since they live there. We are only spending about 3 days in the Great Barrier Reef, diving and such, so that we can get as much in as possible. We didn't plan on Cairns because it was so far north and would be more time to get there. I think we decided somewhere along Whitsunday area.
We are looking to buy our tickets here within the next month or so (hopefully by March) as the prices are better a year out. I'm excited already.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts