Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 2002 m750 on tuesday. I was looking for a 620 dark but they didn't have any. they(European Cycles) had a new 750 dark for $6995 though. what they hell. I love it. Been waiting a long time. Finally have my Monster. I'm sure I'll
have lots of ques. but for now I noticed smoke coming out of the right exhuast after riding today. Is this normal? Also has anyone done anything about the bike not starting with the kickstand down? I'm not use to that. any help would be
appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My '03 800 did the same thing for the first 5-6 rides. I think it is normal for a little smokey exhaust to come out after you turn he off. Am I right in this assumption Mostro pros?

PS I got my baby for $7700 here in Nebraska...decent deal?

Casa

·
Registered
441 Posts
For the sidestand, check the FAQ mods survey and overview.

G

·
The smoking is normal, it will taper off. Mine smoked like a huka pipe for 3 days. As for the side stand... thats a "feature". It makes it so you spend more time on your bike waiting for it to warm up ;D

Just go buy a nifty side stand bypass from one of the DML sponsors or anywhere you can find it. The bypass will allow you to start the bike in neutral with the sidestand down but kill it if you put it in gear. It was my first mod and worth every penny. Those kookie Italians have some strange ideas about features.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My 620 Dark smoked a bit from the right pipe sometimes too.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The sidestand bypass is an absolute must-do. The kit is only about $40 and takes minutes to install. You might want to have some needlenose pliers handy if you can't figure out how to get your hand on the connection for the neutral switch at the back of the motor. The problem with jumping the leads as D. suggested is that it will allow the bike to be in gear with the sidestand down, which can be quite dangerous if you forget.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes, the mod I mentioned does allow one to ride off with the sidestand down. I've done that mod to all my bikes since the interlock was first invented, and to tell the truth, I still do a mini-polevault thing once in awhile.

I usually get rid of the clutch interlock if there is one too. Another case where some mandated safety thingie can leave one stranded in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.

I figure the less possible failure modes, the more likely I'll get home as scheduled.

-Don

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I agree with the bypass like D. - fewer things to go wrong. I stalled an 800 at a green light in a busy intersection, shifted into neutral to restart, but the bike would not. I tried finding N several times, but it still would not start. I rolled the bike over to the side of the rode, and tried again - no go, finally, I lowered the kickstand, then rasied it, and boom, it started right off. Some safety feature ???.

mitt

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. So I won't worry about the smoke. And I'll look into the neutral bypass starter thing. And maybe one of those tail chops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts