Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G

·
the difference between a slipper clutch and a conventional one predominantly has to do with the clutch drum. a slipper will have ramps that when enough load is applied, allow the pressure plate to lift off and allow the friction plates to "slip" instead of stay locked.
this isn't dry or wet specific.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ya know all this talk about slipper clutches made me think about it and I think I like NOT having one. If I were racing and just trying to get around the track as fast as possible maybe I would want one but trying to time my downshifts right and controlling wheel hop is part of the fun of riding fast. Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Slipper Clutches do not come standard on any monster. They are in fact an expensive replacement, used by racer types who want to avoid the head shaking that occurs when going down the gears quickly and locking the rear wheel. The slipper prevents this by unloading the clutch when a preset torque figure is exceeded. This only occurs on the overun.

G

·
The 04 M620(not the Dark) features a Power Torque Clutch system, which controls wheel hop in a similar manner to a slipper clutch.

G

·
to those who don't have sliper clutches you don't know what your missing. my ducati does not have a slipper but my aprilia does and it's a much better bike with the clutch than without

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
If I were King, all twins sold would come with slipper clutches. It's a safety item. Next time you come into a tight, downhill turn & get the rear wheel hopping, you'll know what I mean - if you're still alive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts