Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does an '04 M1000s.i.e. have a "slipper" clutch as standard equipment from the factory?

Thanks in advance,

SR

S

·
0 Posts
nope. i'm pretty sure they went to an aluminum clutch basket for the '04 bikes, but a slipper's not standard on the 1000.
unless you're pushing your bike HARD, you won't really miss it. and when pushing HARD, if you've got good skill in matching engine revs for the gear you're downshifting to, you won't miss it.

not to say it's a wasted investment if you've got the green to upgrade, but i wouldn't hold it as a mod-priority (personally).

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Gee Strati, you know how I hate to say that you're full of sh*t, but...........ANYONE can screw up the rev matching when aggressivly downshifting. That's why all top level racers use slipper clutches, & most big twin manufacturers put slipper clutches on there street bikes as std equipment - eccept Ducati (of course). If you're a commuter, don't bother, if you're a sport rider, GET ONE. When we meet someday Strati, remind me to show you my right leg.

M

·
0 Posts
A slipper clutch is one of those things that you don't realize it's value unless you have one. You don't have to ride super fast either to appreciate its value. Fast down hill turns and unfamiliar roads can force you to downshift a little more aggressively than planned. The slipper will prevent the rear from locking up and will allow you to pick the proper gear for the drive out. It also provides the extra margin of safety that lets you focus on other things--rather than worrying whether you match the RPMs correctly or not going into a turn.

H

·
0 Posts
Tough crowd. I'd say the slipper is a good investment if you ride hard. It doesn't take much to get the wheel hoppin on the 1000. It's happened to me more than a couple times, once almost caused me to bite the big one! I was riding REALLY hard that day. There will be one on my bike when the clutch goes south.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, then. Now that we've proved we can share with others, maybe I should schedule a slipper when I need to replace it. I mean, the stock clutch will wear out sooner or later, right. And, I'm still breaking in the beast and will be for quite a while (you see, I'm turning 50 this summer and things...take...longer...now; e.g., I'm less agressive). Shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

Now play nice.

S

·
0 Posts
Gee Strati, you know how I hate to say that you're full of sh*t, but...........ANYONE can screw up the rev matching when aggressivly downshifting. That's why all top level racers use slipper clutches, & most big twin manufacturers put slipper clutches on there street bikes as std equipment - eccept Ducati (of course). If you're a commuter, don't bother, if you're a sport rider, GET ONE. When we meet someday Strati, remind me to show you my right leg.
hey no offense taken norm... and i do agree with you that even the best riders can err when downshifting. that's why i said it's certainly not a wasted investment.
do i have one installed on my s4? nope. do i ride hard? whenever the opportunity presents itself! is a slipper-clutch on my wishlist? you bet!!! as soon as i can scrounge up the green ;D

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I was hoping that one would get you going Strati!! Give me your wife's fax # & I'll forward her some of my medical files - she'll let you spend that money tommorrow (plus, your bike is waaay to nice to crash(again)). In case any of you are wondering, it's a subject that I feel strongly about!!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Interesting.... I posted this queston 2 weeks ago, and Norm & Retro were the only ones who answered. Glad to know that 2 peple on this board could help and answer my question. BTW, I did end up going with the Bucci from Ducati Marin :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
No, I asked about Slipper Clutches period... It's all good, I am pretty resourceful and I can get my answers from all over. I just thought I would ask in a forum where everyone helps everyone ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Just as a side note, one thing to remember about slipper clutches is that they will not eliminate all rear wheel hop or chatter from downshifting into corners. By their design they are, at best, compromises among the five or six gearsets at reacting to reverse torque and allowing the transmission to have a "freewheel" effect as if the clutch were not engaged when downshifting. The slipper clutch is designed to disengage the clutch when it is subjected to a predetermined torque load. Because that torque load is different in each gear and the slipper clutch is only truly effective at a specified load or speed it is possible to encounter wheel hop or chatter at or below the preset load of that particular clutch. This is why the factories are trying many other methods of controlling wheel hop on the Moto-GP bikes. The slipper clutches simply do not work for the truly fast riders.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Most slipper clutch designs work with a spring system pressing against the clutch pack along with a ramp/ratchet system for the disengagement. You can vary the engagement level by changing the spring load & some systems come with multiple springs for that purpose. I'm certainly not a slipper clutch expert, but I've never heard of one that allows the bike to "freewheel". That would be just as dangerous as rear wheel hop. Once you set the slipper to work at a given back torque, it doesn't know what gear you're in & works the same in each gear. Of course, when you have a motoGP budget, & you're looking for hundredths of a second per lap, you can always make improvements.
I suspect that one of the venders(like Motowheels) who sells & deals with the different brands, could offer a more complete explanation than I can.

S

·
0 Posts
I was hoping that one would get you going Strati!!
ha! nice try norm ;)
the only way to get me going really is to tell me your kids slept through the night when they were babies. i LOVE my son but i lose my mind everynight... can you say caffeine?!

Give me your wife's fax # & I'll forward her some of my medical files - she'll let you spend that money tommorrow
actually, i've got free reign to spend as i wish, so long as it's "ducatipipemod's" money. i'm saving my nickels and dimes for a 998 motor. when i get the scratch for that puppy, it'll get stuffed into the s4 with a slipper clutch installed!

(plus, your bike is waaay to nice to crash(again)).
hey thanks! can't wait to actually ride it again this spring! WOO HOO!!!! ([email protected] that groundhog!!!)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tell you what does help a bit if you can`t afford /or want a slipper clutch-lift the revs up with the fast idle to about 1400ish when your on a mission-i find it smoothes things out nicely

Q

·
0 Posts
I would just like to know if a slipper clutch is lighter than a light weigt normal clutch package offered by motowheel (for example). Because the price is a lot more than what I can afford, I would go for the lighter one. If the slipper clutch is the lighter clutch package on the market, it could be a very good option. I have pushed my monster very hard and I am able to control the hopping effect of the back wheel, so......
Accelerate harder with a light weight clutch would mean more to me. Thank you guys.
P.S. How do we put a picture on a reply because I would like ro show my little baby. ;)

·
Registered
668 Posts
M1000 does not come with it.
Good to have but no necessity.

All depends how you thinking of riding. How do You do that ?

Important thing again is to know Yourself and how you use Your bike.

You could also by a SUV to be safe while driving in a city during hot summer ?

Skier

·
Registered
426 Posts
I would just like to know if a slipper clutch is lighter than a light weigt normal clutch package offered by motowheel (for example). ;)
The light weight clutch kit that includes the basket, hub and pressure plate is lighter then any slipper. The six spring clutches are lighter then the Evo clutches from STM and easier to service. Something nobody has mentioned is that slipper clutches are NOT bolt in and your done. Unless of course you don't care if it really works. They have to be adjusted, setup to work on your bike. This might mean changing springs changing plates to ones that are ground to a different thickness and measuring and testing.

M

·
0 Posts
Our Motowheels slipper weighs the same as the complete billet clutch assembly in the same 6 spring configuration. If you add the titanium towers, and bolts --it is a little less.

I have slipper clutches on 5 of my bikes. I only changed springs on only one of them. I suppose I can get them to work better if I play with them--but they work fine so far.

Q

·
0 Posts
Thank you Alex for your answer. But finally, What is the lighter clutch package on the market? Especially, is the VeeTwo lightweight clutch package is lighter than the clutch kit sold by Motowheel? And please, give us some numbers on their respect weights. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts