Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

I recently received my DP Comfort Seat from the dealer. As I was about to install it, I noticed a s

• Return it to the dealer and reorder (and keep returning them until I get a perfect one)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop being so anal and live with it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Here's my story:

Sometime after Thanksgiving Day I went to the local Ducati dealer and ordered the DP Comfort Seat. It came around mid-December. As I went to install it, I noticed a ~7mm tear on the front corner edge where it meets the side of the tank. I promptly returned it to the dealer and had them order another one. Due to the holidays and shipping from Italy, I didn't receive the replacement until just last week. I asked the parts guy at the dealer to check it over before sending it to me, which he did, and he said everything looks fine.

I got around to installing it a couple days ago, but again, noticed another little nick. This time, it's on the rear edge of the seat (pics attached). I don't blame the guy for missing it since I didn't notice it until I gave it a thorough inspection. I don't think there's anything I could have done to cause this.

The tear is about 3mm in length, and there is some white material (inner foam padding?) peaking out. It's not too terribly noticeable, unless you know what you're looking for (and I do, so it's blatantly obvious). I am also worried that it might continue tearing and/or possibly result in moisture seeping into the foam padding.

So, what do I do? I'm inclined to return and reorder again, but am wondering if I'd have any better luck. Third time's the charm?

Am I being a little too picky/anal about this? :mad:

BTW - anyone else with the DP Comfort Seat notice this problem?

Attachments

I

·
0 Posts
Is that the material backing?
If its just the cover backing not the foam it probably wont get worse... unfortunately from the pic its too hard to tell.

as far as whether to return it or not, if it will bother you everytime you see it, then I would advise you try to return it...

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
you paid for a new one, free from defect. That's a defect. I'd return it. If I'd known it had it to begin with, I'd still have bought it but when I order something "new", sight-unseen, I expect it to be right.

Go complain and perhaps you'll get a free oil change out of it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
ATO Memphis said:
you paid for a new one, free from defect. That's a defect. I'd return it. If I'd known it had it to begin with, I'd still have bought it but when I order something "new", sight-unseen, I expect it to be right.
ditto

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I personaly would touch it up with a little sharpie and not worry about it. You are gona get rock chips from riding, scratches from your jeans/leathers and you might even drop it in the garage by accident. I'm not very anal about cosmetics because it is a motorcycle. The guys in the shop will probably think you are a pain in the ass and that isnt a good way to get a favor done in the future. On the other hand, if it drives you insaine and you dont care if they think you're a pain, then return it!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Send it back, I once had to send a tach back 3 time before I got one without a blem. For what Ducati parts cost, you should get a defect-free part, or a discount.

Hell, they should powder your balls as well. [laugh]

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
The problem is that the same nick will eventually turn into a larger one just by the pulling of the seat during use. Get a new one.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
ducman851 said:
The problem is that the same nick will eventually turn into a larger one just by the pulling of the seat during use. Get a new one.
+1 - Don't take a discount to keep it either, the nick is obviously an issue or you wouldn't have posted. Everytime you're near the bike your eye will go to it and you won't be thinking how good a deal the discount was for living with that blemish.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Vindingo said:
I personaly would touch it up with a little sharpie and not worry about it. You are gona get rock chips from riding, scratches from your jeans/leathers and you might even drop it in the garage by accident. I'm not very anal about cosmetics because it is a motorcycle. The guys in the shop will probably think you are a pain in the ass and that isnt a good way to get a favor done in the future. On the other hand, if it drives you insaine and you dont care if they think you're a pain, then return it!
+1.

I'd also put couple stitches in it to keep it from spreading and then ride the piss out if it. That's me though. You should do what ever makes you happy, no sense having something bother you when you can fix it.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I understand how you feel. Although its a nick, its not YOUR nick. Like someone else said, you paid for a defect-free seat and you should have one. Who knows if the material isnt that strong around the area of the nick and it just keeps getting worse. Could be a bad batch of material alltogether. I dont care if my bike gets scratched, bumped, dropped, cut, nicked etc. as long as IM the one doing it.(Ok, Id still be pissed but at least I could only get pissed at myself)

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
HyperM3 said:
I understand how you feel. Although its a nick, its not YOUR nick. Like someone else said, you paid for a defect-free seat and you should have one. Who knows if the material isnt that strong around the area of the nick and it just keeps getting worse. Could be a bad batch of material alltogether. I dont care if my bike gets scratched, bumped, dropped, cut, nicked etc. as long as IM the one doing it.(Ok, Id still be pissed but at least I could only get pissed at myself)
+1 Take it back.

·
Registered
969 Posts
...and this time when you get the replacement, open it up right at the counter and give it a good once over before you take it home and have to bring it back again.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
RETURN IT. Or you don't hold them (Ducati dealer) up to a high standard. Keep them providing us (the Ducati enthusiast) only the best customer service - which means validating your concerns and making it right.

Bottom line: You paid a Ducati price for a Ducati product - it should be free from defect when you receive it.

Old-Duckman said:
...and this time when you get the replacement, open it up right at the counter and give it a good once over before you take it home and have to bring it back again.
[thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
If you don't return it, how will you explain the nick/rip to the guy you're trying to sell the bike to a few years from now?

·
Registered
286 Posts
little tears get bigger quick....

new is supposed to be free from defects...

now you have to ask yourself, is this seat too fragile for practical application.

·
Registered
726 Posts
There are two things that make this return easier than most. First, it doesn't keep you from riding while you wait for a neccessary part. Second, it is easy enough to pop on and off, unlike some other parts that require actual installation.

Put your old seat back on, return the DP, order a new one, and forget about it. You'll have Christmas in July when your blemish-free seat arrives.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat... altho I'm wondering if I got your original seat, since the tear in my seat is also right where it meets the tank. I got mine from monster parts.... dunno what I'm going to do.. I've been told that a drop of nail polish will keep it from tearing any further.. I don't really care about the cosmetic, I just don't want it to gradually spread...

seat feels cushy tho, wish it didn't have a tear.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
BTW, if anybody else got one of these from MonsterParts...by all means send it back for a replacement.
Sounds like there was a bad batch from Ducati.

Jeff H
MonsterParts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Two defective seats in a row?! ::) You may want to get your money back and get a different seat. Apparently the quality of the material used in these seats are too flimsy and lack "reasonable" durability.

This is analogous to a cheap hooker with open sores attempting to sell her self as a high caliber call girl.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts