Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've been curious for awhile about frame sliders. I low sided my 750 about two months ago, and I just finished repairing my damage. It wasn't cheap, but I got off relatively easy financially. I was wondering how well frame sliders work on monsters, and whether this would be a worthwhile purchase. I don't really want the look, but if they work well, I might consider. Any thoughts?
Dave

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
i've heard pros and cons (but the cons seem to be formed from the opinion that any part that is damaged is bad in a crash vs triaging the damage so the frame and/or tank don't get thrashed).

spoke to some guy at the dealer about frame-sliders... he said that the engine bolt bends and sometimes the sliders break off. Well, I'd rather replace the bolt & slider than repair a tank/frame/engine parts.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Even if the bolt bends and the machined nut breaks you're only going to spend $155 or so to replace the slider assembly. I can't think of much that would be cheaper on the bike if it went down without a slider...

G

·
We stock the small replacement parts for the frame sliders in case one falls. You won't have to buy a complete unit if you fall.

·
Registered
287 Posts
How much trouble are they to install... is it something and untrained monkey can do? or should I take it to the shop?

G

·
Installation took me 15 minutes. Easy :)

As I recall, brace motor (I used small jack),unscrew nut on motor mount bolt, tap bolt out gently using new bolt, install new nut, install sliders making sure there are equal.

Cyclecats are the way to go. Contact Chris at California Cycleworks.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I've installed the CycleCats a few times myself. VERY easy to do, in fact I don't even brace the engine anymore. Just tap the new bolt in as the old one slides out and it's always supported. Took me literally 5 minutes last time...

·
Registered
287 Posts
sweet, guess I've got something else to add to wish list!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Be really careful doing this, you don't want to mess up the threads. If you do it can ruin the nut when you put it on and push the thread insert into the nut and you won't get a full thread engagement. When installed correctly they won't fail by themselves. In all the crashes that have been reported back to Cycle Cat none have resulted in the frame being damaged by the slider kit. We should write book about the reported crashes, what would be really cool would be some videos.
would a rubber mallet work or is it better to just install by removing the old one first and supporting the engine? (you'll probably say "support the engine").

That'd be cool to see a write up on crashes... it will be an added benefit to know how most of the crashes occur so we can try to improve our riding skills and awareness.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've been interested in sliders, too, but I didn't realize how big they are! Does anybody think they look obtrusive- aesthetically- when installed on the bike? Like big chunky things sticking out the sides?

G

·
i tend to agree. On full fairing bikes they just peek-a-boo out the side but on a nekid bike they look a tad out of place. Then again would you rather look goofy or replace some expensive parts?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I think there may be a safety factor in frame sliders as well. They may give you a small break in getting your leg out of there when the nasty happens. There have been several documented crashes with frame sliders in the group , all getting rave endorsements.

Sometimes I put my legs up on the cycle cats to "air out" while on superslab in the summer! Works great!

Asthetically , they are pure monster: functional and in your face!

Regards,
Rideon

·
Registered
216 Posts
Anybody also have Bar sliders? Or do most riders just go with a set of Frame Sliders and skip on the Bar Sliders? Just wanted to know...might get them, but it'll depend on if I get bar end mirrors instead

1 - 19 of 19 Posts