Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few questions about something that happened yesterday to me while riding.

As the title says, I slid the rear tire. I've been doing a lot of practicing to get more comfortable with adding lean angle and not riding "crossed up" while turning. After a couple of plp sessions over the past 2 weeks, I've been very comfortable adding a little more lean little by little. The "A-Ha!" moment for me was recognizing that I was really learning much better throttle control and more efficient / quicker steering was what it was all about. I finally decided to take what I learned to the streets.

I put in about 230 miles in on sunday - You'd be surprised how the miles rack up when you're not 100% confident in taking the freeways! Anyhow, back to the title: I was heading down a long downhill straight that turns into a tight 90 degree right hand turn. I felt very comfortable and confident. I felt like I scrubbed enough speed since I brought the bike down to 15-20 mph. I was off the brakes and off the gas when I started to tip the bike in and slowly got on the throttle just enough to maintain the turn/lean. Then I began to stand the bike up by a little steering and slightly adding a little more throttle - and that's when it happened. In a split second I felt the rear slide and hook back up. It could have been and inch or a foot because I couldn't tell. I didn't go down and didn't scare me.

What I 'd like to know is what probably caused it? and what do you all do when it happens. I didn't see any gravel/dirt in the road. I also just road through it - it happened so fast that I didn't add or take away throttle.

thanks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
too much throttle? new tires?

you probably didn't highside due to keeping the constant throttle instead of chopping it in a panic which would have hooked up violently.

·
Registered
156 Posts
too much throttle? new tires?

you probably didn't highside due to keeping the constant throttle instead of chopping it in a panic which would have hooked up violently.
I agree but part of it is the pleasure of riding on public roads. We all would like to to ride like Casey Stoner or Valentino Rossi but we have to deal with dirt, gravel, oil or any other of a number of fluids leaking from vehicles in addition to cell phone yapping and texting drivers.

You might not have done anything wrong at all, your slip could have been as simple as running through some recently leaked anti freeze.

You might want to look into available track days at your nearest track. Mine is 157 miles away but it is worth it. You can flog your bike with no cops, no oncomming traffic, controlled conditions and probably get some on track pointers from other riders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts