Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

When you're on the highway, how fast/slow do you ride?

• Always the speed limit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65 - 75 mph

• 75 - 85 mph

• 85 - 100 mph

• 100+ mph

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm on the highway by myself, I tend to ride somewhere in the 75- 85 mph range, or always just a bit faster than cars. When I'm with a group it tends to get faster, anywhere from 90+ to up over triple digits.

You?

[disclaimer] Don't want to turn this into a thread about highway safety or legality, just curious about your speed. [/disclaimer]

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Depending on the traffic, I typically run about +5 or +10 over the posted speeds.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I attempt to stay within 10 miles of the speed limit, but it usually proves to be futile. My usual speed is 65-90.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I like to move a little faster than the traffic around me, +5-10 mph.

I don't have a fairing, so speeds over 75 mph start to become uncomfortable over a long ride.

75 is typical for me.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
i will typically run around 80mph on the hwy and whatever i feel safe doing on backroads that can be anywhere from 40-70mph.

red duke said:
I don't have a fairing, so speeds over 75 mph start to become uncomfortable over a long ride.
you learn how to deal with that ;)

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
Feet on the back pegs. Tuck down against the tank. Roll on the throttle! I wear my earplugs when I'm going on the highway. The wind is way loud.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
[thumbsup] my bike's nekkid, and looks ghey with the "windscreen" so i just live with it. or do what odrides said, feet on back pegs, tuck to the tank, roll on the throttle [thumbsup] it feels like your flying, like superman [laugh]

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
vonkeswick said:
[thumbsup] my bike's nekkid, and looks ghey with the "windscreen" so i just live with it. or do what odrides said, feet on back pegs, tuck to the tank, roll on the throttle [thumbsup] it feels like your flying, like superman [laugh]
By doing this though, arent you now raising the center of gravity on the bike? If you need to get out of any squirrily situation, you cant just lift off the pegs and transition the weight down low. Although it seems comfortable, I dont know if Id want to take that chance.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
lm reads this stuff..... I can't say >:D

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
HyperM3 said:
By doing this though, arent you now raising the center of gravity on the bike? If you need to get out of any squirrily situation, you cant just lift off the pegs and transition the weight down low. Although it seems comfortable, I dont know if Id want to take that chance.
yes it does raise the center of gravity. i don't do it when there's other traffic around. only on straight long stretches of highway. it definitely would be bad if someone changed lanes over you and you tried to slow quickly or swerve whilst topheavy.

but when in regular traffic, when passing semis or other large vehicles, i just tuck to the tank to get under the wind as much as possible

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting poll results thus far. They're more conservative that I would have thought, that's good to know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
HyperM3 said:
To me that seems a little iffy as well. I just deal with the wind. After a while you get used to it. The right helmet makes a big difference too.

I've also never understood the "always ride faster than cars" theory. I just adjust my speed based on the situation. Sometimes it means going faster than traffic, sometimes slower. Whatever gives me the largest buffer zone. So on the slab it ranges from like 60 - 90, but in general I try to avoid the slab because it's boring.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Roadbull said:
To me that seems a little iffy as well. I just deal with the wind. After a while you get used to it. The right helmet makes a big difference too.

I've also never understood the "always ride faster than cars" theory. I just adjust my speed based on the situation. Sometimes it means going faster than traffic, sometimes slower. Whatever gives me the largest buffer zone. So on the slab it ranges from like 60 - 90, but in general I try to avoid the slab because it's boring.
zachly!

and same here! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Let's not forget that an indicated 85 on a stock monster is only about 76-78 after correcting for the optimistic speedometer. I'm usually at an indicated 80-90 (probably 73-80 actual).

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
sidrock said:
Let's not forget that an indicated 85 on a stock monster is only about 76-78 after correcting for the optimistic speedometer. I'm usually at an indicated 80-90 (probably 73-80 actual).

and what about those of us who are down one in the front..... my speedo says about 85-90, but here in houston, that's just keeping up with traffic +/- 2 mph.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Keep my speeds usually between 70 and 80 when commuting. Weekend rides on open highway and nobody around I tend to take it above the 90+ mark, until I get to the mountains at the mountains I cut it back to about 40 to 50 mph.

-ghost

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I dont speed on the freeway, or in town.

(on the freeway in CA 'not speeding' means <10 over)

havent had a speeding ticket in over 10 years.

of course out in the boonies and twisties...all bets are off >:D

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Roadbull said:
To me that seems a little iffy as well...
You're right, it's not the best position in traffic or during potentially squirrelly situations. Then again, neither is driving 90+.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts