Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you folk get over to Skyline reasonably regularly, but for me it's 2 plus hours to Font Royal.

So I'm plotting and scheming for the Spring.

My thought is to make a weekend out of a Tuesday and Wednesday or some such. Less traffic? Less police? Regulars please let me know.

I figured the only way I can do this is if I trailer my bike and Gwendy's bike, and bring a babysitter for little Aeryn (Luckily our friend loves to ride pillion so she'd come along for the opportunity to go out a little while Gwendy hangs with the tot).

Any reccomendations of where to stay? Font Royal? Somewhere to stop for gas halfway down the Skyline?

Anyone up for planning a big group. Maybe a Monday through Wednesday?

OK... going out riding now in the nice weather. Just thought I'd get some planning in to convince Gwendy how fun it would be... need lots of time to work it so she thinks it's her idea and it's great.

Chris

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was about to head out the door for Skyline Drive right now, but on account of this post I looked at the Shenandoah Natl Park page online and learned that most of the parkway is still closed from November's ice storm. :mad: Time for new plans....

Back to the topic at hand though, my question is what interest would there be in camping? Here's a link to the official NPS page regarding facilities etc., and there is actual lodging available in the park, but I have no FHE with that.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/camping.htm

My argument for setting up a "base camp" is that we could bring others with us who might not be inclined to ride, but who would enjoy the trip and could maybe keep each other company while we play.

Thoughts?

Oh, and one other thing, Big Meadows tends to get very crowded, but Lewis Mountain is nearby and still fairly quiet, or at least it has been in times past.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Skyline won't be terribly choked with car traffic in the spring - the fall leaf season's the worst.

There is at least one, is not more gas stations on the drive. So as long as you start out with a decent amount of fuel, you'll be fine. There are also plenty of senic overlooks for havign a stop.

As far as LEOs, that's pretty constant. Rangers patrol up and down as well as the occasional parked 'trap'. Really, if you're feeling the need for speed... skyline's not the place. But it is a pretty ride.

Other things to note
- Once you pay you admission, its good for a week. Meaning some side road jumps are possible w/o paying again.
- 211, a short but curvey road intersects Skyline and leads to Luray caverns. Fun if you're feeling touristy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.