Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing the oil myself for the first time on the Monster S4 (usually have it done at the shop while in for other things). I assume the oil screen/mesh bolt is the one below the sight glass.

I checked the FAQ (it was written for a 2-valve) and stated it was a 21mm bolt but on the 916 motor in the S4 it is an allen head. The largest allen socket I have is a 10mm and it is too small. Anyone know what size it is before I go buy several?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
It's a 14mm.

Be prepared to put some muscle on it. Mine was hella tight, as was the strainer itself. BTW, the strainer uses the same socket driver too.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info - just what I needed.

After reading your response, I was over by Sears, so stopped in to get a 14mm allen/hex socket. Guess what? They don't have them. They only had singles (and sets) up to 10mm. I thought you could get anything tool-wise there.

On the way home, I thought I would give Auto Zone a try even though I was sure it was a waste of time. They had a set that had a 12mm, a 14mm and a 17mm. Wow! I couldn't believe it. Oil/filter is changed and ready for track day tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Glad to hear you're squared away. I can't remember where I got my 14mm driver, got it about 10 years ago for an older Benz oilpan drain plug.

Have fun at the track day, don't bin it fer crissakes! Too many folks on this board going down lately...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts