Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a monster 1200 r and am getting bar end mirrors. i have read that the threading on one side of the mirror bolts is reverse. i've never come up upon this on any of my other bikes. i will need to remove the mirrors and get bolts a little shorter to hold down the reservoirs. does anyone know the size of these bolts and is one a reverse thread. i figure they're 10mm or 8mm. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
bht:

Indeed, the right mirror has left hand thread. I installed the Rizoma Spy-R mirrors but I couldn't find replacement bolts and I didn't want to cut them in case I wanted to go back (for whatever reason) to the stock mirrors. I tried with plastic trim holders but they weren't firm enough, so I used some spacers that came with the Rizoma mirrors, washers and the stock bolts to keep the reservoirs in place. It's not the cleanest solution but it works fine. I went to a dealer and ask for the bolts but they didn't have them so I let them be, maybe you can order a spare set and cut the originals but not sure how much thread will be left since it doesn't go all the way up. Here's a pic of how mine look.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thank you Nomad. i called my dealer and they told me the bolts were regular. what is the purpose of a left hand thread? i just spoke to my ducati parts guy in ford and he said just take the bolt and put it in the chuck of a drill and cut it. be careful-it's hot. we can always order factory ones if we decide to put factory mirrors back on. i ordered the spy r's too. thank god you answered or i might have snapped a bolt trying to get my mirrors off. i also figured if i could not get the right bolts i would use washers as well. your's does not look bad but i know we both would rather have the right length bolt so it would look nice. i'm going there next week to have my termis installed so if they have the right bolts, i'll get a couple for you and let you know. they claim they will have the right one's. they also told me to take the mirrors off with regular turns so i'm not sure. the mechanic that works on my ducatis is really good so i know he will do it right. thanks again for your reply. i'll let you know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went to eBay and searched for M8 left thread socket bolt. I think I paid $3 including shipping for the two stainless ones I bought. One left thread and one right thread.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to eBay and searched for M8 left thread socket bolt. I think I paid $3 including shipping for the two stainless ones I bought. One left thread and one right thread.
thank you. what was the length? someone suggested to me to just cut the factory one's down. i told him i have no vice. he said just put the bolt in a drill chuck and cut it. a no vise solution. i appreciate your info.

·
Registered
51 Posts
thank you. what was the length? someone suggested to me to just cut the factory one's down. i told him i have no vice. he said just put the bolt in a drill chuck and cut it. a no vise solution. i appreciate your info.
I bought 16mm and put a small 8mm spacer I had in my tool box on each of the bolts

Link

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought one from the dealer for about 4 or 5 $ and cut it with a regular hand saw ... took about one minute to cut
an still have the original in case of need.
They figure that with the inverted bolt if your mirror hits something it will just unwind instead of breaking the base or bolt.

IMG_5769.jpg

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can do a few things.
Motowheels sells shorter aluminum bolts regular tread and reverse thread and can order 1 of each or you can order another clutch side mount so both sides will now be regular thread and order the shorter regular aluminum bolts from Motowheels.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Those look perfect! I used hard rubber grommets as spacers that looked good but not that good. I'm buying em right now, thanks for link.
I've got these saved in my ebay summary, maybe it's time to start a run on them!:smile

Ooops; just remembered why I haven't bought them: they want 17 bucks to ship them to Canada!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Your island never ceases to amaze me. The backyard engineering and artisanship industry is thriving in the UK.
Need bits, someones made one there.

About those plugs, do you have enough thread for it to hold the reservoir and bracket solidly in place?

I've got these saved in my ebay summary, maybe it's time to start a run on them!:smile

Ooops; just remembered why I haven't bought them: they want 17 bucks to ship them to Canada!
True that. Those are expensive to begin with. Given the high price and the low weight, shipping should be included. However, there's an Australian site that ships for less here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-CNC-Alloy-Threaded-Mirror-Block-Off-Plugs-1-x-M8-RH-amp-1-x-M8-LH-Thread-/182013666897?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry, missed the question. Cant remember how long the thread was - think it was about 12mm but I've not had a single problem with them loosening. I did put thread lock on just in case though.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I bought 16mm and put a small 8mm spacer I had in my tool box on each of the bolts

Link
Bought those as well but from a different seller. Seller had matching normal right hand thread bolts also. Ordered one of each for $1.70 a piece.
I added a SS lock washer on top and on the bottom of the reservoir bracket to reduce the bolt size to about 12mm. I think it looks factory clean. You be the judge.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-10x-M6-M12-A2-304SS-Left-Hand-Thread-Allen-Bolts-Socket-Cap-Screws/401253503051?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=670862498522&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i just got a monster 1200 r and am getting bar end mirrors. i have read that the threading on one side of the mirror bolts is reverse. i've never come up upon this on any of my other bikes. i will need to remove the mirrors and get bolts a little shorter to hold down the reservoirs. does anyone know the size of these bolts and is one a reverse thread. i figure they're 10mm or 8mm. thanks for your help.
my 2017 monster 1200 r is m8. right twist on one, left twist on other. you'll probably have to cut is down some. no big deal. i just but it in the drill head and turn it with a hack saw. just brush out any little shavings. there is also a guy on eBay selling knurled ones that are cool but like $30. they look cool but are out of stock now.-----http://www.ebay.com/itm/192080603352. i also went to cnc racing and they have beautiful stuff. here is the page for my bike. ---- http://cncracing.it/en/prodotti/ducati/monster-1200-r-2016-17. i've had rizoma spy r's 80mm on a couple of bikes as well. theses cnc racing barrends use your own bar end to fasten them to the bars. imho they are beautiful. i'm ordering them plus a few other parts-hard to contain myself. with my bmw's it was rizoma. with my monster it's ducati billet and now cnc racing. i'm unable to sleep waiting for my new farkles. if you own a ducati, the sticker shock should not kill you-not cheap but beautiful stuff. just make sure you give the correct year. you'd think 2016 & 2017 would be the same. THEY ARE NOT-ducati updated some parts and fitments before really updating the bike. just be ware. on. many parts-even foot pegs, there is a difference. i found out the hard way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts