Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hand on a 916 swing arm and rear wheel of a 97 916 (a friend of mine who crashed!!)
I am now looking on how to fit it on my 99 monster 750!
Is there any kit out there to do it?
I suppose there is a good bit of welding to do as we can't use the engine to support the swingarm!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw the transformation based on the 748, but using the engine seems a bit extreme for me!!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
All ducatis use the engine for the swingarm pivot. What would make this conversion any different?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
for one you need to shave 42mm(12mm for one side and 22mm the other) off the casings this giving you lees to pivot on. The top pivot postion different with 916 shock (unless you have custom shock made)With out welding supports down to clamp/pivot arm I think it would put a lot a of pressure on the engine casings 916/748/etc all have this brace
s4r has block of alley and big engine bolt(i think)

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The 4v Ducs make a lot more power than the 2v ones. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the engine cases after millimg them. You can see a parting line on each side that makes a handy cutting guide, but you want to cut the same off of each side (about 1/4" I think).

·
Registered
426 Posts
The SBK doesn't use the engine to support the swing arm they use the frame. The hole in the cases is larger then the bolt, hell it oval. I wouldn't cut the engine narrower and then expect it to support the swingarm. Also the cases aren't that strong they reinforced the ST2 cases to support the extra weight. I have seen numerous cases on both 2 valves and fours that were cracked.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I can go measure again, but I've always cut about the same amount from each side. I cut a little more than neccessary so there is plenty of adjustment slop. I'm doing one now, so I'll chack it out. Sometimes I can't even remember what I had for breakfast!!

R

·
0 Posts
for one you need to shave 42mm(12mm for one side and 22mm the other) off the casings this giving you lees to pivot on. The top pivot postion different with 916 shock (unless you have custom shock made)With out welding supports down to clamp/pivot arm I think it would put a lot a of pressure on the engine casings 916/748/etc all have this brace
s4r has block of alley and big engine bolt(i think)
Grunter,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you say right and left hand side it is when looking the bike from the back?
Is there anyone with close up pictures of the various attachment of the swing arm?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
whn you are looking at the engine, one side has a large boss, and the other side a small boss large cut - big boss - small cut - small boss. then bushed the engine down to spindle size

will look for pics but i used 748/916 engines

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys, Why are you not milling the swingarm instead of the engine? or at least a bit of both in order not to weaken one part specifically, a bit of eah! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts