Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 monster 800. Sometimes when I am rolling on and off the throttle (usually in traffic around 30mph) I hear a single click noise and can feel it on the throttle grip. There is a very brief stutter in power. This doesn't happen all of the time, but usually when I am going up and down in speed between 25 and 30mph. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what the bike is doing when this happens.

Thanks!

G

·
check the throttle cable for any kinks, especially right at the throttle bodies. with the engine off, pull the throttle while watching the throttle body. make sure it's smooth action. make sure the actual cable isn't frayed at all. aside from that, uhh... no immediate guesses.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm glad someone brought this up! I have an '02 M750Dark that I bought new. I'm at 1400 miles. Mine does that too! I changed to aftermarket slip ons. It did it all of the time. I was concerned that it was a lean running condition as it did not do that before the pipe switch.

I have since placed my stock pipes back on and the problem (not really a problem) has all but disappeared. It happens once in a blue moon now. So s4strati ...what do you think?

This cannot be a cable problem because the change of pipes alters its frequency of occurence. It is exactly as holl0028 describes.

Although he does not mention whether or not his 03 still has the stock exhaust.

holl0028? Can you give us any more information? Is your bike still 100% stock?

Very curious? Is ther anyone else with a fuel injected monster experiencing this? It may be a newer model thingy?

JJ

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
These are real SWAG's, but...

A) Maybe a lean misfire or backfire.

I've never noticed it on my S4, but it's a totally different motor and FI hardware from the 750 & 800. It would correlate with the slightly leaner running with aftermarket pipes.

B) I haven't seen what the connection is between the two butterflies, but if it's as I suspect, with a spring loaded adjustment screw for synching, maybe the butterfly farthest away from the cable is sticking. That's the one with the throttle position sensor, so if it hangs up but the other one closes, the mixture is going to be off. Maybe that's the stutter you feel, and the click is when the butterfly un-hangs. Unfortunately, it's not going to correlate with aftermarket pipes. Maybe coincidence.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I experienced the same thing accelerating the other day. Was the bike warmed up all the way?
Also at stop lights I had that happen when I would rev it up to listen to the pipes and it would miss. There was a thread a month or two ago that I started called engine hiccup. You might want to look through that and see if you can find any answers.

G

·
i think nick's explaination is definately worth pursuing... i was thinking the throttle cable may be getting hung up on something since you feel it in the twist-grip, but it may be something freezing in the throttlebody assembly instead.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all, thanks guys for all of the quick responses! My bike is still 100% stock. I'm not sure if it is just a kink in the cable. With the engine off, or when just reving the engine, I can't reproduce the clicking. It happens when the bike is fully warmed up as well. It usually (or maybe always) happens while rolling OFF the throttle and at slow speeds (30mph or so) low revs when driving in city traffic. I don't think it has ever happened when rolling off from higher speeds like coming off of the highway (50mph+). Also, when it happens the noise that comes from the engine (not the click) doesn't just sound like quick deceleration. It sounds more like a gasp.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Mine does this too.... its just a fuel map..little bit lean..stumble..hiccup type thing. I dont worry about it. Mine did it once in a while with stock pipes and does it a little more with aftermarket pipes. Only on low revs cruising in a gear thats to high for the mph. I wouldnt worry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts