Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've decided to go with some Sil Motor CF high-mount oval slip-ons, but I'm undecided about whether to get the 105db or 86db version. I want louder than stock, but I don't want to terrify the populace or set off car alarms. At the same time, if they're not perceptibly louder than stock, I'll be disappointed. So, can anyone help? I'd especially like to hear from folks who might have the 86db version--are you happy with them?

Rob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, I just got the louder ones ... and they are loud, not that there is anything wrong with that ;D Specifically, they have an amazing bass sound to them ... the type of sound that resonates inside of you. I think they may be the best sounding pipes I have ever had the pleasure of hearing.

I must admit though, the last weekend, just after having them put on I was a bit afraid the noise was gonna get my neighbours pissed off at me. I was in work all weekend and all night each day finishing a report that was overdue (until 5am saturday and until 3am sunday). I'm guessing my neighbours were not too impressed with my new pipes. I generally don't want to piss off my neighbours ... but that doesn't stop me from getting loud pipes :D... I do usually cut the engine and coast down the street into my apartment when I come in real late.

BTW, a sticker on my bike said the stock cans are 93dB at 4000rpm ... if that's true, the 86dB version will be quieter than the stockers ... but I have never heard them.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Hey Robert,

I had the same concern that you do: not too loud, but louder than stock. I ended up going with Arrow. They're louder and deeper than stock, but no so loud that I think that I'm waking my neighbors when I roll in at night.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a set of 105db Sil conicals on my M750 and to my ear at least, they're LOUD. Living in an apartment building with the parking out behind, I feel guilty enough when starting off in the morning that I wheel the bike out onto the street before firing it up. It does appear to set off most if not all of the car alarms I pass. I try very hard to keep the revs and throttle down in neighborhoods because I wouldn't want that much noise going by my window either...

On the plus side, the pipes sound really beautiful, and I seem to have a lot less trouble with being invisible in traffic (very important when splitting lanes in IL). I do wish they were just a little quieter, but I suspect the 86'ers would be a little too quiet for me. If I had it to do over again, I might shop for another brand that offered a better compromise. Or maybe I'd just get the 105's again.

M.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i have Arrows on mine. my neighbors are thrilled with how quiet my bike is. my neighborhood is loaded with straight pipe Harleys who purposely make as much noise as possible of course, that helps alot.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
i've got the round sil high mounts (105 db) and they are loud, but not the loudest pipes i've heard. have set off an occasional car alarm and i'm told that people in the parking deck can hear the bike start up from 2 floors away :) but definitely not harley-aftermarket-pipe-loud.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, that is how I justify the pipes to myself: "They're quieter than a Harley." The other day I rode by a Harley on the expressway and literally could not believe how loud the dang thing was - I couldn't hear my own bike...

M.

N

·
0 Posts
i was planning on the DP model for my 800, has anybody heard them? arent they made by termingoni? is there a cheaper alternative, ($1000 installed) i dont really have to worry about the noise level.

S

·
0 Posts
hey saint,
there's multiple DP versions. termignoni makes some, remus makes some. i'll tell you honestly that if the set you're considering comes with the performance ECU which will offer a matching fuel map, then $1000's not too bad. just keep in mind you're getting two mods in one. the cans and a remap.
ask them to specify if the ECU comes with the cans. if not, forget it. i think $1000's just too much for cans. heck... for that price. you're almost spending as much as for a full sil motor system (including headers!). if it does come with the ECU, ask how much the kit is without installation. installing slip-ons and an ECU is a very straight forward process.

N

·
0 Posts
I really dont want to spend more than the 1000,even that is hard to jusify. I have only heard the termi's on a m900. sounded nasty, really deep. Will all the carbon pipes sound similar?

N

·
0 Posts
strat, that is the pipes and remapping the existing ecu. when i bought the bike the pipes and a new ecu were $1600!! the owner of the shop, (obviously a small shop) told me to wait. DNA is apparently able to remap the existing ecu as opposed to getting a new one. i honestly just want some pipes that are louder and deeper, but i love the carbon look against the yellow, but i dont want to put anything of lesser quality on my bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts