Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after almost a month wait and only about 30 mins. installation time my new exhaust is finally on! Thanks to Stuart for all the hard work. ;D

I have to say the quality is excellent. Fit and finish top notch. I really like the way the SS conicals fit very close to the underside of the tail. Their size also looks more proportional, to me, than the aluminum cans.

I'm thinking about painting the mounting tabs black. I did put some scratches in the frame when I was putting the bracket clamps on so I'll need to touch that up this weekend anyway.

Last night after I finished I took it out for a ride and had a lot of trouble below 5500 rpm - very sluggish. Well, when I removed the charcol cannister I didn't plug the vacume line coming from the lower intake manifold. This morning I put a temp. plug in and it definetly ran better. I still think I'll put the techlusion unit on - I'm super worried about running too lean. Should I spend the money and get it dynoed? I'm not into extracting every ounce of power out of her, I just don't want to do any damage to the engine.

Any more thoughts on the subject of cans and fuel injection would be appreciated!

jb

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You didn't mention anything about your airbox... is it stock or did you open it up?
Airbox is stock. I might go with a high flow air filter, but I won't open it up. I rode it around a little more at lunch. There is definetly not as much power below 5500 rpm with a bit of a hole between 4800 - 5200. If I can balance this out with the techlusion unit and "seat of my pants" observations does anyone think a dyno would be benificial? How about if I go with a high flow air filter? Then do I need to find a tech whos proficient with the techlusion product?

How is the fit? Any leaks?
The fit is excellent - no leaks what so ever. I would highly recommend these pipes.

I'm also looking for red bulbs to go into the lockhart signals - I turned these into running lights. Anyone know of a really good auto parts store? I've tried Discount Auto Parts and Wal-mart. Havn't tried any other auto-parts stores.

Thanks for the compliments guys - I really like the way it turned out ;)

jb

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice! I've never been a fan of the conicals but those high mounts do look realy nice. Do they come in black? those could be real nice too.
By the way, does evryone call you Buz, too?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that looks nice... if you haven't opened up the air box i wouldn't worry about running lean. as you already discovered leaving the throttle bodies open after removing the evap canister makes the bike run like ****. either plug 'em with vacuum caps or m5 screws. if you use vacuum caps secure 'em with stainless hose clamps. if you use m5 screws grind 'em down so they're flush with inside of the throttle body. if the threads stick to far enough into the throttle body it'll disrupt airflow enough to zap some hp.

the stock paper air filter has the best flow rates and smallest particle... but needs to be changed out fairly regularly to deliver good flow. i personally wouldn't use a gauze or foam filter unless you exposed the filter element to the environment by hacking open the stock lid or installing a retaining ring.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
WOW those look REALLY clean man. The SS ones fit different than the Aluminum ones? I have highmount marvings which I dislike, and was going to go with a lowmount setup in the future to regain the "space" between the tire and seat. BUT yours look REALLY high. Can you take a pic' of it directly from the side.

Man that looks REALLY good. Did you get them from Spareshack?!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am extremely pleased with my Sil Motor high mounts (round carbon), but like you Jim, I was a bit disappointed with the mounting brackets. The two bolts and washers on each side look aweful - they had to go ASAP! The day after I installed them, I got some 1" x 1/8" aluminum and made a cover plate for the outside of the brackets by drilling two holes and counter-sinking them for some nice brass machine screws and then filed and sanded all the edges for a smooth finish.

By the way, is there a reason you kept the cover for the evap can installed?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys - sorry for the delay in replying, i've been out ridin' 8)

fleedatzmonster:
Yes, purchased from Spareshack.

03monster800:
sure- and next i'm gonna drop in a water cooled inline 4 and crappy rightside up forks! ;)

iamic:
the cover for the evap can is still there because of time. I didn't need to remove the rearsets so I didn't take the time to remove it. I'll be doing that this weekend. Good idea about covering up the brackets - I think I'll try something like that.

Well guys, ride safe and have a great weekend!!! ;D

jb

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:
After riding Saturday, and my freind with alot more knowledge than me riding it also, the bike is running very lean. I talked to the dealership and they do have mathesis and will see what they can do on tuesday. I'll let everyone know how it goes - hopefully that will do the trick.

If not there is now a power commander for the 2003 620ie:
http://www.powercommander.com/719-211.shtml

It's about $120 more than the techlusion unit but my freind has alot of experience with the power commander so this might be my option.

jb

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! I think the look is great for a Monster!

I havn't heard, or seen for that matter, any other monsters with aftermarket exhaust so I can't really compare. The sound is awsome though. At first I was worried it was too loud, but after riding it around for a while the sound is great. Actually I rode around with my friend and his Sportster with straight pipes :eek: - mine is no where near as load as his. The sound is much deeper than the stock cans with more resonance.

My freind was concerned about re-packing also. The cans are welded "shut". I'm a little unsure how all that works. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on this point.

jb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts