Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone is getting tired of reading exhaust threads again and again, but I need a few questions answerd if you own them and have a second to respond. my decision is between the 86db's or the 105's. Thanks

I worried the 105db will be to loud, but I don't want them to be quiet either. Are there any 86db owners who regret buying the quieter pipes? I want my exhaust to be louder and with a better tone than stock.

I'm riding a stub tail so I want them to be short. I think I remember seeing some Sil's longer than others in reader pics. Are the 86's longer than the 105's. This will effect my decision more than the noise.

I may even decide to make them a bit shorter, are the back caps riveted on. I really want the cans to line up with the back edge of the signals. I have the proitallia fender eliminator kit to give you a reference point.

Thanks again,
murry

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have 105db aluminum rounds and they match up very well with a hacked tail. I think most people go with the louder cans... they are loud, but I've heard louder. How do you define "too" loud?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard the 86db and think they belong on sport touring bikes. The 105db are not too loud for the street. If you buy Sil Moto from us and they are too loud, we will swap you for the 86db.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got 105db's, well kinda. Had to ship back the crappy s pipe for replacement, but i digress, anyway 105's are LOUD.

I rode over to my buddys place thanks-giving-eve and the neighborhood kids loved them. My buddy finds them to his liking also but he has a weedeater sounding R6.

They kinda "buzz" my helmet a tad at normal street crusing speeds (45-55) so I can imagine a long ride would be annoying. Then again my factory pipes were just as annoying. The deep grumble of the pipes at idle, the jealous stares from the crotch rocket crowd and the overall annoy-the-neighbor-factor makes them a nice purchase.

Size wise the Sils look killer compared to the rest. On a stock tail they are stunning (http://www.403forbidden.net/Ducati) and they are the only pipes that look good with the cut tail.
Be warned though, fit and finish could be better. I'm going to make a better hanger for mine once I get my S-pipe back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know how loud my Leo Vinces' are, ('02 S4) but they're are not as loud as I thought they were. Loud pipes (and clutches) save lives. If they bother you, change them. If they don't, then leave them alone. They are usually going to seem much louder than you think they are, but a set of stock pipes on a Duc sound almost agricultrual to me.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moto, I'll take you up on that offer around the first of the year.

Thanks for the feedback eveyone, I'm going with the 105's.

murry

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm also looking into getting a set of high mount slip-ons, and I'm loosing sleep over chosing between Arrow and Sil.

I would like the SIL Carbon Fiber pipes for my 800, but I would definately want OVAL pipes. Motowheels apparently sells high mount CF ovals, but the product description does not match the picture (pic shows low mount pipes), so Moto, if you could confirm this, that'd be great.

When you say "loud", do you have a ringing sensation in your head when you come home from a few hours riding?? Would you wear ear plugs for longer trips?

If anyone can post an audio file of the SILs, I would give my first-born child away.

Mspgs2, I give you props for those pictures. They're really helpfull. Thanx. [smiley=applause.gif]

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's really hard to find decent recording of pipes on the net. It would be really cool if somone with decent recording mic recorded different exhaust.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I totally agree s2travis.
I mean, people buy exhaust systems mostly for the sound, so why not advertise that in a form of a sound file???

This seems like a no brainer marketing pitch to me. [smiley=huh.gif]

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Personally I think an audio file of an exhaust system is a waste of time. Even if you had a decent source, how many people have speakers good enough that you would actually be able to hear anything? Even on good speakers I can barely tell the difference between stock exhaust and the 105db Sil pipes for the audio files I listened to a while back...

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
My straight pipes are uh, the definition of TOO LOUD :D Earplugs are must. Ringing ears still result at times. But its alot different. and thats what I'm going for.

I'm still buying sils though ;D should be on this weekend.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Isn't that bad for your bike to be running it without mufflers wheelinman? I would think you'd be running dangerously lean and I've also heard that the rush of cold air that can sucked in open pipes when you shut down can be harmful.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Nope, its been just fine. If you run with no pipes at all, like open heads that can bend a valve, but thats just stupid. I'm not running lean cuz of the jet kit. Like everyone else has been sayin in the thread, the pipes make little difference. I did lose some torque but gained in the very top end. I look forward to getting my torque back with the new high mounts though. This was just all I could do for the time being, and it was different.

Patrick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts