Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guess i gotta change my sig now!

Some headaches aside, crappy S pipe connector on the left side looks like it was done at the local high school machine shop so not only doesnt the mount bracket for the rearset doesnt mate up but the pipes are not even in the back. Also the Sil Motors sticker was mis-applied so its way to high on the right side. So far i'm not sure If it was a better deal than finding some Leo Vinci's. Fit and Finish on Leo's seems superior.

The Sils do look far better than the rest, they end right under the turn signals and are tucked in quite nicely for a killer look.
These things are loud too. The twin has a deep grumpy grumble at idle and under acceleration sounds unlike anything else. I went for a quick ride and its a cool evening but the bike did feel a bit stronger, almost as if the power band is a little smoother. I'll ride tomorrow and see if anything has improved.

Also popped on a sargent seat so my butt will enjoy the ride too.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Did you get the Sil slip-ins or full system? Also, are the the 85db or 105db version? I'm gonna be ordering these in the next week or so myself...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In theory they are slip-ons but they were more curse-twist-curse-twist-some-more-stubb-thumb. I'm not sure but a full system might have been actually easier to slip-in ;D

These are 105db's, at least per the info I got. They sound great, maybe a touch louder than I would have liked but as they "soot" up they will tone down a tad so i'll see. I cant wait to ride tomorrow, the weather is nice and the harley crowd will be out. I wanna come up behind and scare them with a nice downshift!

Fit and finish they are not Leo's but sound wise they are nice. Something I forgot, the stock cans must weigh in at 15-20lb's each. The CF sils are featherweights. Any weight lost is a good thing and given the weight is in the butt might help given I'm a bit "plus sized".

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Thanks for the info mspgs2. I'm going to be replacing stock cans once I recieve the insurance money from the bike being backed into. I've heard the full system has very good fit and finish on the header pipes, I guess I'll find out...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no problemo

I think I might pull off the pipe clamps this winter and polish them, the finish on them has a lot to be desired.

Someone round here was selling Sil 2-1 high mounts which look better if thats your thing. Personally I like the CF look but Sil Conicals look nice too.

If I dont like these I might ebay em and get Leo's slip ons.
High pipes just look b*tchin on the Monster. I just took some pics so if I'm not too lazy tonight i'll post them.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'm gonna go with the Titanium ovals I think, we'll see though.

One other quick question. Are the Sil stickers easily removeable? I don't really feel that I need to advertise the brand of pipes I have...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i have the sil hi-mount aluminum rounds... had to muscle the s pipes as well... the stickers don't bother me much, but they don't look like they would come off very easily. It looks more like paint than a sticker.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
funny you should ask :)

I just slapped them up

http://www.403forbidden.net/Ducati/

For the most part I like the pipes but notice in this pic

http://www.403forbidden.net/Ducati/ducati_sil4.jpg

alignment is way off. I'm going to either trim the pipe on the right (left side) S pipe where it mates with the factory header or probably the better option, just slide the left pipe (right pipe if on the bike) out of the header just a hair. I rather trim if I can since the left S pipe isnt bolted at the footpeg. I think alignment is spot on otherwise.

I was talking with a friend of mine and i'm almost convinced we just bend up some new s-pipes and polish em till they gleam.

I also do not like the attachment hardware so i'm going to polish up the can band and probably powercoat the attaching hardware.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh yeah, forgot some notes..

first I think the Sils look the best by far. The shorter can looks so much better.

the deep throaty rumble is downright obnoxious. I was riding behind a guy on a nice custom GSXR and he kept looking back to see what the heck was behind him. Sadly I didnt get a change to spook and harley guys.

before you ask, the mirrors are monstrack billets and I like em.

I also got a sargent seat. My butt loves it and intrestingly enough it takes some pressure off the wrists too given the slightly different body angle.

and please excuse my chicken strips... i'm a wussie.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ahh the saga continues.

just a recap, my left side S pipe was complete crap, bad welds, bad bracket, out of round.

Wanting to get this replaced asap I 2-dayed it back to the seller and waited, and waited and waited. A day after delievery with no word back I email them to ask whats going on. Well they were going to ship me a new part.

A week later it arrives, nice and speedy service there but anyway. Lo and Behold a shiney new part but there is a problem. This pipe is completely round. The original S pipes had a flat area pressed in them to clear the swing arm. This one wont fit unless I were to put spacers on the rearset.

Needless to say i'm a bit pissed that they cant get it right twice.
I guess i'm going to have to wait a few more weeks. Maybe its time to box this crap up and ship it back and see if someone else can do it. I figure for almost $700 bucks (including my shipping costs) i shouldnt have to fabricate anything and it will work first time.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Dude, that sucks. I am sorry to hear that. I totally agree with you about sil's. Maybe we should turn this into the next battery thread? :) I have a pair of sils waiting on me when I get home and I'm almost scared to try them on after hearing your experience. But, if I run into problems I will jump on the bandwagon with you. Good luck! I'll keep you updated mspgs2.

-Patrick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mspgs2

I'm sorry to hear about your Sils. I got my Sil High mount Conicals from Stuart at Spareshack. The Sils are great - the sound, quality, and fit & finish. They went on in a matter of minutes.

I don't know who you got yours from but Stuart is a good guy. He actually sent me the wrong ones, 105's instead of 86's. He sent me the correct ones - got them in a matter of days.

I hope you get things figured out.

jb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah now you tell me ;D

that side. My third S pipe is coming so we shall see. Otherwise the one I got is pretty flawless so I might take a torch to it and give it a flat side just to get this out of the way.

Did you hookup the 105's? Curious how noticibly loud the 85's are compared to the 105's. With open pipes the 105's sound positively stock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes. I did hook up the 105's. They are LOUD, no VERY LOUD, no D A M N LOUD. They were fun around town but on country side trips the droan in my helment drove me crazy. The 86's are a perfect balance.

jb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jim, I'm really impressed with the looks of your Sil Hi Mounts. Especially the clamps that hold the cans from the inside, rather than from the outside. It really cleans up the lines. I'll have to look into if I can do the same with my DP Titanium Hi Mounts.
Also, did you chop the tail or left the frame... what did you do to modify your tail?

Nice bike mate!
Methinks I targeted your bike to be a model for my "redpower".

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Just got these Titanium Sils on, along with a PCIII, and air box kit.

Ilove them and they sound GREAT!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
DUCnHAR your bike looks awsome. I want to get the sil's tit' pipes and FBF air box kit too. How's the quality of the sil's titaninum? I have heard tit' is easy to dent. Just wonder did you dyno your bike or just get your map from the Power Commander website?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
FBF did all the work, put on everything and dyno'd it, just got it back 2 days ago, no dents yet , but I have heard that they dent easily, but not much more then the stock cans, which was dentless after a year on my bike.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts