Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyond shorted the sidestand switch to remove it? any problems?

On another bike I removed the switch and routed the wires to a new spot and installed a new weatherproof single pole single throw switch. This meant you had to throw the switch to start the bike (aslo you had to find it). The obvious downside was you could ride off with the sidestand down.

Cheap security, I would like to do this to my 01 m750 and would appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... I know of a few riders who've done that... they mentioned riding off a few times with the sidestand down. Personally I'd get the relay to cut the engine if you shift into 1st before putting the sidestand up.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not think it a good idea to short out the switch when you can take care of it with an easy mod as described by Peter on Strati's website (worked for me) -> http://www.ducatipipemod.com/s4/mods/sidestand/
OR fork out the ~$100 for the kit.
It's a lot less embarassing than driving down the road with the sidestand out and not much fun when you come to the first left hand turn/bend.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
wussup putz ;D

i did exactly what you did. it's also a cool little extra security thing. i got butt-head friends who like to steal my keys, but then unless they find my hidden switch they can't even get the bike started!

shouldn't it be second nature to flip the side stand up before taking off? every bicycle i've owned from age 3-17 have had kickstands.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Tdaddy, I agree, all the bicycles and the motocrossers ive owned, including my current one had a kickstand, the Naderites want these switches but I think it should be reflex to put the stand up. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Just bypassed mine wiht a jumper then tucked the cable up under the tank. No probs. I've been riding for 40 years so I'm pretty used to putting the stand up.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wired mine to the switch that lights the neutral light in the instrument panel using a diode. This way it will start with the sidestand down as long as it's in neutral, as soon as it's put in gear it will stall. Costs almost nothing. You have to use the diode or the neutral light will be on at all times with the sidestand up regardless of gear position.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but I cant think of any reason to NOT have the switch. I didn't and wont vote for Nader, but that switch has saved me a couple of times. There must be a reason I cant think of ???

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but I cant think of any reason to NOT have the switch. I didn't and wont vote for Nader, but that switch has saved me a couple of times. There must be a reason I cant think of ???
the switch prevents warm-up without sitting on the bike. by either following MOSTO523's advice or buying the evoluzione kit, you can enjoy the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks....Well, that does makes sense. The three bikes I have had allowed running in nuetral, only shut off when put in gear.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I'll go with Putz. Train yourself to put the sidestand as a reflex action. If you always follow the same procedure it will become natural. I'll admit in my earlier days I dug a few sidestands into the road and it's not good so make it a natural action to get on the bike and lift the stand up straight away. Cutting off the switch saves one less potential problem down the road when the bike won't start!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts