Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually have two questions I need help with, the first is an easy one.
I need a new tail light bulb and I wonder if I can find one at an auto parts store or will only OEM work?
Second question, anybody got any tricks for getting the bolt that holds the side stand on, out? It is a very shallow allen hole that is already stripped out from the previous owner trying to get it tight and not realizing that the play was not from the bolt. I tried using a hand impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer) and I soaked it in WD-40 but still no luck. I may have to grind a notch in it and chizzle it out.
Actually I have a third question, does anyone know if I will be able to use a generic bolt to replace it? Im sure Ill be waiting forever if I have to buy it from Ducati.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
the first question is easy. any good brand 1157 bulb. buy it at your favorite auto parts store.

second question is not so easy without seeing the damage. sometimes you can luck out and get a bite with a torx bit, or tapping it with a chisel.

third question. try your dealer first. not just the parts department, but service too. my dealer actually had the oddball 1 mm scew that fastens the front brake light switch. if not, McMaster-Carr will. http://www.mcmaster.com

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Buy the Heavy Duty version of the 1157 bulb if you don't want to be replacing it every few months.

What year Monster do you have? I have a spare sidestand bolt for the old automatic retracting sidestand. I'll give it away for the price of postage.

I would use a drill to get the old one out. Use a center punch to start a small hole through the middle using about a 1/8" drill bit, then open it up with bigger bits a little at a time. Once most of the metal in the center is gone you should be able to get the remains out.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Ive got an Air hammer Bill. If youd like to come up after you get your replacement. Ill use the same technique I use on stubborn (read the ones with broken Impact driver bits) rotor bolts on Hondas. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually have a custom sidestand that I just got anodized.
Scott, my bike is the first year M900 (94) if your spare bolt will work that would be awesome.
Ducman, that would be great! Once I get a replacement bolt lined up I will probably take you up on your offer.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I have the Nichols bolts in stock. They're a big flat hex head that converts the bike from "suiside" to "normal" sidestand. Yes, you can buy normal bolt, but the head won;t be wide enough to hold on the stand.

:) Chris

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris, this may be what is on there now. My stand does not auto retract and the bolt is about 1.5inch in diameter, flat, with a very shallow #6 or 7 (not sure off the top of my head)hex head. It is gold in color.
If your bolt will work can I pick it up from you tomarrow?
Bill

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The PO probably just cut the protrusion off of the stock unit. If you have a die grinder, cut a flat on each side & use a wrench on it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it sits flush with the stand. It basically covers what I think is a big rubber bushing. Looks more like a washer with a shallow hole for a hex head in the center.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The Nichols bolt is stainless steel and made such that you could probably never break it. The correct solution is to get one of those, and that is what I had on my M900. I recommend it highly.

My original bolt would probably cost about $1.00 to ship across the USA. I have had a lot of experience lately with shipping stuff, so I'm wondering how you would have to ship it to cost $8.00.

Here's a photo of the Nichols bolt:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I got a Nichols bolt but I still cant get the old one off. I cut a straight line through it and tried to twist it off but all that happening is the metal is just getting twisted and destroyed. Its not comin out.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i hate to say it, but your getting near the point where you will need to use Scott's method:

"I would use a drill to get the old one out. Use a center punch to start a small hole through the middle using about a 1/8" drill bit, then open it up with bigger bits a little at a time. Once most of the metal in the center is gone you should be able to get the remains out."

extreme caution must be used with this method. if you drill off center or at an angle, you will damage the threads in the case. an "easy out" will get the remains out. if you do not feel confident, let a pro do it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Have you tried using an easy out yet. Go to Sears and ask the tool guys for them. Heat the bolt up with a torch. Sounds like the guy that put it in used the alter strong lock tight.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
extreme caution must be used with this method. if you drill off center or at an angle, you will damage the threads in the case. an "easy out" will get the remains out. if you do not feel confident, let a pro do it.
And since you can remove the whole assembly from the engine, it's not like you would have to take the whole motorcycle to the expert.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
On second thought, I just remembered that I have a whole assembly available, including the old kickstand that only has the end of the foot broken off, it's not even bent. I'll let you have the whole thing (bracket, bolt, wiring, spring, and sidestand) for really cheap. Send me a PM.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got it out tonight! I was sure I would damage the bracket but I didnt. I cut a + in the top of the bolt with a cut off wheel. Then I popped off half of the bolt head so I could see the threads on one side. Then I soaked it with WD-40 I let it sit for a while and then heated it from the back with a torch. It finally came out. It took me forever to clean the threads out. I dont know if it was loc tite or dirt or metal shavings but it was full of crud.
Bike looks cool with the new stand and I will post pics when I get everything done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts