Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I fire up my trusty 99 Monster (900) and although it starts, the lights flicker on and off. Stranger than that, the higher the rpm's the dimmer the lights and not the other way around. I shut the bike off ang looked for loose connections, bad grounds, etc. Now when I turn the key, I get nothing. I get no instruments, no lights, no horn, nada. The only thing I DO get is a main relay (yht yellow one under the seat) going CRAZY!! It makes a loud buzzing sound when the key is in the on position.
I picked a new one up, replaced the old one........................same Buzzing and no power. All connections seem good, all fuses. I am stumped. Bad new relay maybe??? Any thoughts? Ideas?? I am at my wits end and I really don't want to have to borrow a trailer ( God, I hate that word) and drive 2 1/2 hours to my closest Ducati dealership. Thanks in advance.
Darrell

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think I know what the trouble is, had the same thing with my M750, corroded battery leads between the the cable and the lugs, so I would suggest taking off the battery leads and checking them you may just need to replace a couple lugs and remember to solder on the new one's.
Cheers
Kack

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took your advice and inspected everything. No rust, no corrosion. I put it back in and even though the Battery Tender showed a green light, something told me to try my shop charger. I put it on boost and I had power, lights and ignition. It was the battery even though it showed over 13 volts. Moral of the story; never trust little green lights for diagnostic!! Picking up a new Odyssey pc680 tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Darrell

1 - 3 of 3 Posts