Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. I was reading up on some backfiring threads. I saw some similar problems but no post as to what the problem was.

Wanted to know if backfiring is common on a S2R 2005?

I noticed some minor backfiring just before the 600 mile service. Now I'm arround 3200 miles and its started again. I have not changed any parts that would change fuel or air flow. (Stock exhaust and air box/filter) Backfiring occurs when I throttle down. Man it's loud! My friend was riding behind me and said he could feel the compression hit him. We were moving around 50 + mph

I called my dealer they said they would treat it as a warranty, unless its the CO. They said the would charge me for 1 hr. 75 US big ones to set the CO.

thanks for any help you may provide,
Kevin

·
Registered
865 Posts
Backfiring "typically" signifies a lean condition. Most Ducatis run slightly lean right out of the factory. However, it should not be backfiring, especially if you have a bone stock bike.

Mine backfired when I installed cored exhausts but it went away after I installed my new system and adjusted the air/fuel trim.

You might examine your spark plugs.

And have the dealer examine the bike as well.

PS: This thread probably belongs in the "Tech" section.  ;)

Mike

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yep must me lean. Sounds strange becasue I'm running the cat eliminator and cored cans and I haven't had any backfiring - with no trimming... I keep a close eye on my plugs and so far they are light toasty brown.

·
Registered
225 Posts
+1 on leaks.  If you have previously removed your exhaust and put it back on chances are the disc gaskets are no longer working properly and you may need to replace them.  I had the backfiring problem with mine after I switched to a full Arrow system.  Once I changed the gaskets the problem went away.

Item # 33

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am going to be installing my Cat Eliminator pipe and Termi's on my 05 S2R real soon, and in addition to using new gaskets I am also going to use some high temp RTV sealant. No leaks!!

Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts