Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Why exactly s it not a good deal? I'm still doing reseach on them and any input would be great.

R.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't see many fully adjustable 50mm Showa forks for sale. I sold a set a couple years ago for $800. The laws of supply and demand say you pay what they will bring. 53mm Showas from SBKs are fairly common and I see them for $300 fairly regularly. Non adjustable 50mm sell for less then $300.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
as alex aludes to, it's best to be specific. adjustable showas off a monster would be easier to use on your bike without making changes to your tripleclamps or clip-ons (if you're running a set).
i actually just sourced a set of SBK forks for my s4 since i'm planning on moving to different triple-clamps and clip-ons anyays. as such, my adjustable showas will be up for grabs within a week or so. if you wanna pay me $700 for 'em, i'll be happy to sell them NOW (but i'd feel guilty). i'm execting $450 or so for the pair.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
It all depends. I'd say a good fresh service like the one

http://www.le-suspension.com/LE-Services.html

would make a fair price for some adjustable showas that are only 2-4 years old , a fair price would be aroudn 600-700. figure you can always sell yours for less and recoupe so e cash. Forks are something that no one wants to skimp on. And why get some old ones.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Strati...

Including shipping? Keep me updated. I might jump on your deal!

R.
wouldn't be fair to include shipping cuz somebody from RI would be getting jipped compared to somebody from cali (i'm in boston). i'll let you know as soon as they come off, but there's already two guys ahead of you in the queue.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
That's cool. What forks are you upgrading to,Ohlins? Are the Showa's worthwhile, or should I just wait for Ohlins?

R.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
That's cool. What forks are you upgrading to,Ohlins? Are the Showa's worthwhile, or should I just wait for Ohlins?

R.
ohlins are megabucks. people i've talked to about 'em swear by how amazing they are but i couldn't personally stomach the price.

since i'm switching tripleclamps (thanks to the mastery of alex), i figured "may as well" go to superbike forks. getting a set with TiN coated tubes off a very low-mile bike. should be interesting to see how they compare to the 3way's i'm currently running.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I don't know about megabucks.

The Ohlins Road&Track forks are under $2k.

If you add the price for take-off forks, a Cyclecat upper and custom fabricated lower tripple, you're not so far off.

The only price I'm sure of is the Cyclecat top tripple at $325. SBK forks? I'm guessing around $500. Then they're used so they may need to be worked over. Also you have to be sure the springs are right for your weight. The bottom tripple, being custom, I'm guessing will run you more than the top; so let's say $400.

Now you're at $1225 plus whatever you need to put into the forks. I can imagine this all coming to $1500 and that's if you want to do the install yourself (swapping forks is easier than forks and tripples).

Yes the Ohlins are still more, but the difference may not be as vast as the numbers first appear.

I have the adjustable Showas, now revalved and resprung. Good enough for me. If I were to go any higher than that, I'd probably do the Ohlins R&T myself.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
The top triple from c cat comes with a shim kit for the lower
triple so I am not sure why one would need to add the cost of another triple to the equation for SBK's....

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
you're right on the botto.

Strati is swapping, but it's not necessary.

That tips the balance more strongly in favor of the SBK retrofit.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
oh I see Strati is getting top and bottom clamps...I realize now you were responding to Strati specifically.
Still Don, I agree, having swapped to SBK's myself, by the time I am done throwing in the Ohlins kit, the cost is close enough to have just bought the R&T's in the first place, especially since the kit is still not going to be a pair of R&T's.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
the SBK forks i'm recieving were $550. (i'll post pics when i get 'em on the bike).
don, you're right that when all's said and done, this conversion will be fairly pricey but i was already set on getting new tripleclamps so i had the liberty of choosing what fork diameters to go with. the SBK forks are like-new take-offs from a bike that's getting ohlins legs for trackuse so i'm confident they'll be ready to bolt on as is. the tubes are also TiN coated which is a little benefit i'm pleased with.
the 3ways that are on the bike are more than fine, but going with new yokes anyways, i figured what the heck... may's well go with SBK forks since the set i'm getting were available for what i thought was a reasonable price.
i think (and this is going to sound spammish for sure) that for monsters with non-adjustable forks, the easiest upgrade is to get adjustables from another monster. no issues with triple-clamps.
i recall that daffe pointed out that the forks from an S4 are slightly shorter than those on the 2v'd monsters, but as long as you're not installing clip-ons ABOVE the top yoke, this shouldn't be an issue at all. they'll fit flush with the top triple and you'll be good to go. this is why i was running the DP risers that mount UNDER the top yoke. didn't have to raise the forks in the triples to fit them.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Absolutely right Strati, the most straightforward upgrade is adjustable Showa take-offs from a Monster or SuperSport.

Buuuut, they're not easy to come by. I'll let y'all know when I get the Ohlins ;D

jk of course. I think my Showa's would have to be seriously pitted or bent for me to justify replacing them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
The same guy who made the offer ($700 for adj. Showas, w/500 miles) had a pair of Ohlins for $800, yet I needed new or modified triple clamp. The price for the Ohlins and the Showa's were but $100 apart, thus spawning suspicion. I should have jumped on the Ohlins when I had the chance but he sold them elsewhere before checking with me. I was upset 'cause he knew I wanted them, and I was just waiting for good weather to ride down and drop off my bike then he sold them without making any effort towards me. Can't cry over it but regret not moving fast enuf. Onto the next pair.

R.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts