Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeling a chatter or skittish feeling going over divots and flaws in the roadway. I jacked the front of the bike up and found I could wiggle the wheel up and down with about 3/32" between rebound and compression. What causes this? Low oil?

While checking this, I also measured 1 9/16" sag. I weigh 180-185 dressed. What should it be?

Do I need a "rebuild" or "tune-up". Bike has less than 10,000 easy miles. Is there a good suspension rebuild/set-up guide? I tried FAQs and Section 8 guide has been removed by them...

Lastly, how do I raise the rear as so many here seem to recommend--yet doesn't this make the bike more "skittish" (less rake), or does it help weight transfer? It sure seem to corner better when laying on the tank...Maybe clip-ons would put me there with better arm leverage?

Any help is....helpful...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
The stock Showas on the S4 are harsh on the small, sharp bumps.
The valving is pretty crazy.
I put RaceTech GVs in mine, much better. :)

That sag sounds reasonable, I don't have my logbook in hand....I'll try to check later tonight.

You can raise/lower the rear by adjusting the length of the pushrod.
Mine's at stock height, I never felt like I wanted it to turn in any quicker.

Clip-ons will help get more weight over the front end, Monsters are a bit tail heavy.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speeddog said:
The stock Showas on the S4 are harsh on the small, sharp bumps.
The valving is pretty crazy.
I put RaceTech GVs in mine, much better. :)

That sag sounds reasonable, I don't have my logbook in hand....I'll try to check later tonight.

You can raise/lower the rear by adjusting the length of the pushrod.
Mine's at stock height, I never felt like I wanted it to turn in any quicker.

Clip-ons will help get more weight over the front end, Monsters are a bit tail heavy.
Speeddog: Thanks for checking the book (is it YOUR logbook or a published source?) and where did you get the valve kit?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I checked my logbook, last front sag number was 35mm (1 3/8").
I'm 170 lbs geared up.

My logbook is just a 4"x7" bound book, got it from Office Depot.
I track all of my fillups, mods, maintenance, adjustment/setup notes, rides, etc. in it.

I got the Gold Valves from these guys:
http://www.racetech.com/index.asp

Penske makes a fork kit that's highly recommended, it's more bucks, but very likely better.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Ohlins also has a fork kit for the Showa's. I had mine installed by Jeff at AMS, along with proper springs and oil for my weight, and it made a world of difference. Penske product is also great stuff, have it on my RC46.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts