Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us have ceramic coated our headers and exhaust, and various other items trying to satiate the mod bug for that moment. We struggled with which color we should choose.... mine were done in satin black back in Feb 2005.

I'm curious as to how everyone's parts held up over time and use.... so please post up photos of your parts which you have had ceramic coated along with the color it was done in, and how many miles since installation.




thanks,
michelle

heres a pic which shows my satin black headers, with about 9,000 miles, this past summer. I will take current and better photos this weekend.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
[clap] Yes....as someone who just did it, I am anxious to see how it holds up. Post away folks with pics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,908 Posts
Here's a couple pictures of mine. They were ceramic coated "satin black" by Performance Coatings (they're awesome). I can't remember exactly at what mileage they were done, but they have between 6,000 and 7,000 miles on them now. The coating still looks great IMO. I've noticed the header coming off the horizontal cylinder gets a little discolored, but it's just road grime since it washes off pretty easily...although it is more noticeable since the pipes are black.


Jeremy


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,149 Posts
^^ still loving that swingarm! goodjob Norm!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,761 Posts
916SP: 8000 miles, silver


M944: 9000 miles.silver


MV: 4000 miles, black


999R: 4000miles, titanium


We've been ceramic coating our motorcycle pipes since 1997. no problems.
In the 80's I ceramic coated the tops of the pistons of my turbo BMW 2002, 60K later we tore it down and it was perfect still.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
moto said:
We've been ceramic coating our motorcycle pipes since 1997. no problems.
In the 80's I ceramic coated the tops of the pistons of my turbo BMW 2002, 60K later we tore it down and it was perfect still.
Those pipes still look really good. Do you do the coatings in-house? Or do you outsource the coatings to another shop?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,761 Posts
We send them to our neighbor down the street. We disassemble the canisters here so we can get the perforated pipes coated on the inside rather than have the cannisters taped off. These keeps some of the heat off the packing and canister. We tape off the joints to make it easier to assemble.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
180 Posts
Mind me asking what the advantages of ceramic coating the pistons are? I'm curious, havent heard of that before...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,761 Posts
It prevents hots spots and burning through the piston. It was on a turbo 2002 in the early eighties before they had a lot of good fuel injection enrichment and ignition options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
These are "Jet Hot" coated flat black.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Michelle, is that a gas mask on your bike there? do the eyes serve as headlights cause thats insane. [clap]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,451 Posts
almost 6K on these pipes and they still look great. Satin black by HPC. They were a little more money than other folks but so far the finish has held up great. Check out the front pipe...no discoloration at all.

[attachment deleted by admin]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so we're in the middle of my 900 engine swap. The engine is in and getting buttoned up. The 620 is out and I thought it was a convenient time to wash and photograph my headers which were ceramic coated satin black about 11,000 miles ago. Can you even tell? Compared to others I think weather/road conditions are a big factor in how well the ceramic coating holds up. I'm in NYC.









 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Industrial_Grrrl said:
so we're in the middle of my 900 engine swap. The engine is in and getting buttoned up. The 620 is out and I thought it was a convenient time to wash and photograph my headers which were ceramic coated satin black about 11,000 miles ago. Can you even tell? Compared to others I think weather/road conditions are a big factor in how well the ceramic coating holds up. I'm in NYC.









Man that a big difference. Is there a different method/company that would the coating would hold up? Michelle, did you ride in the salt? I'm in Chicago and fear the same .I has my joints polished then couldn't help it to go out in the salt and there was some corrosion. I am digging the black coating though and plan on doing the same.

R.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
prince_ruben said:
Man that a big difference. Is there a different method/company that would the coating would hold up? Michelle, did you ride in the salt? I'm in Chicago and fear the same .I has my joints polished then couldn't help it to go out in the salt and there was some corrosion. I am digging the black coating though and plan on doing the same.

R.

I don't ride in "winter" conditions which require salt on the roads, worst weather I rode in was 3 days in a tropical storm from Deal's Gap to NYC. Which soaked my gauges as well, but that's another tale.

I think another important factor I failed to mention is that living in an apartment I DON'T wash my bike as often as others do. Read as: I washed my bike once this summer, next to an open hydrant with a sprinkler cap on in front of the fire house next door. [laugh]

I will still ceramic coat my new 900 headers when they're fabbed up. This time I'll try (cough, cough) to keep them cleanER. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Keeping them clean shouldn't have mattered if they were prepped and coated properly.

The Aluminum/Ceramic coating used by almost all coaters should be impervious to salt/moisture and dirt should pose no issue with it at all.

Those pipes do NOT look like they were ceramic coated, they look like they were done in Duplicolor's 1500 degree paint (which is a flat/satin finish).

I've put JetHott and Performance Coating pipes on drag VWs for years which undergo far more abuse than any bike will ever go and never seen one look like that afterwards.. I've put Jet Hott on a Ducati as well which took 9000 miles before I took them off (and they looked like new)

Even when the pipes were hot enough to glow, the finish would just come out looking darker -- it would never cook off.

Typical heat resistance of Alum-Ceramic is around 2000 and some up to 3000 for intermittent use. Ice/salt/dirt/etc do not bother them.

I know Jet Hott offers a lifetime guarantee on their coating (i.e. it will never fail or come off) and if it does they'll recoat or replace your pipes if they are damaged.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,761 Posts
dukatea said:
Those pipes do NOT look like they were ceramic coated, they look like they were done in Duplicolor's 1500 degree paint (which is a flat/satin finish).
+1
I've never seen ceramic coating that looked like that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
431 Posts
reticentregret said:
Michelle, is that a gas mask on your bike there? do the eyes serve as headlights cause thats insane. [clap]
++1

That is a nice touch!

- HK
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top