Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Provocative topic, I admit. Let me explain...

I'm pondering a ST4s, either an '04 or an '05, as I like the Bike, and, with all the weekend riding I do, frequently out of town, it's a sensible choice for me.

With no fairing, no luggage, the Monster S2R just doesn't cut it on the highway, on that weekend jaunt down to the Cape. I live in Massachusetts. No Liberal jokes, I'm a lifelong Republican, but I digress...

The S2R is just great around town, or a short blast on the twisties nearby. But, the ST4s is a pretty nimble sport/tourer, and I can get around town pretty well, esp with lower gearing, and bar risers. It's only 50-60 lbs heavier than the S2R.

I can afford both, no big deal. But, I'm afraid I just won't ride the Monster much at all, what with that ST4s available by her side. I bought a new '06 Chrysler 300C/SRT8, and didn't sell my '02 M3 Cab, figuring I would drive both. I don't. The M3 is cooling her heels in storage. That SRT8 is big and bad, and I love it...

Anybody else ever have the same problem?

LJB 8)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why not buy the new one? And, if you don't ride the S2R after that, get rid of it then?

Ohh, and how much you want for the M3?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slowpoke13 said:
Why not buy the new one? And, if you don't ride the S2R after that, get rid of it then?

Ohh, and how much you want for the M3?
That's what I figure will happen, buy it and see...

I don't have to sell the M3, you'd have to tempt me. Keep in mind, I over maintain my rides 'cause I love them.

LJB 8)

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
No single bike will fulfill all needs. But, when you start collecting multiple bikes, you should try to minimize overlap in function/style/etc between any two of them. The ST bikes are pretty sporty in their own right. So there is a fair amount of overlap between them and the Monster family. If the ST really does more of what you need, then you may find it time to cut the Monster loose.

I started with the M900, then added the BMW F 650 for the long haul touring and dual sport capabilities. There is enough of a difference between the two bikes that they complement each other rather than duplicating each other. And I considered both to be "keepers" forever. Then I added the 900 SS trackbike project to relieve the Monster of its track mule duties when I'm instructing with STT. Now that I'm in the midst of repairing a spun con rod bearing on the Monster and haven't ridden it since July, I'm beginning to think it's time to cut my losses and get rid of it and just keep the track bike and the F 650. Because I've discovered that the F 650 actually does replicate a lot of what the Monster is good for while kicking around the local area.

Tough choice. Your logic is sound. You just have to reason your way through it until the answer becomes consistent one way or the other every time.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, Mark. With the Monster S2R and the ST4s being close, it's a dilemma. I could loose the S2R and not truly miss it.

I'll sleep on it...

LJB 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts