Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It can definitely go another chain. I wouldn't change a steel sprocket until 3 or 4 chains have gone through it. More if it looks good. My current set is on it's 2nd chain with no issues.

However, I'm pretty sure someone's going to chime in and say that if you don't replace both sprockets and the chain all at once, you're bike is going to set on fire, crash into an orphanage, and explode.

·
Registered
47 Posts
what do you think?

this is the oem one after 56,000 km...some macanick saying that it can go another chain...
Mine after 44000Km is worn but not that bad, can go for another, to be on the safe side i would replace it for ease of mind. the real question is why such a wear? chain too tight or too loose?

·
Registered
47 Posts
chain looks fine. what's a macanick and why are you taking advice from this person?
i would take advise from a macanick, he is obviously exceptionally qualified and cannot be rated as the average mechanic. Where have you been the past 200 odd years???

:grin

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine after 44000Km is worn but not that bad, can go for another, to be on the safe side i would replace it for ease of mind. the real question is why such a wear? chain too tight or too loose?

The chain is too noisy no matter how much i lube it & she is not too loose or to tight
:)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The chain is too noisy no matter how much i lube it & she is not too loose or to tight
The chain is going to make some noise as it contacts the sprockets. if it does some clunking and changes tension at different parts, then one (or more) of your links is stretched somewhere. Noise can also come from worn out o-rings between your links. Both situations require the chain to be changed.

Occasionally, give a thorough check to all the teeth on both sprockets as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
have you checked the front sprocket tho? That rear sprocket can definitely go on one more set of chains. If you do decide to change it, I'd suggest upgrading to a lighter sprocket. I don't know what kind of noise you're hearing but mine was having clunky noises until I brought it to the shop and find out it's a little tight. Small symptoms of these bike are really noticeable, if something's not working right the bike will tell you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
what do you think?

this is the oem one after 56,000 km...some macanick saying that it can go another chain...
I'd be more concerned about my tires. After 56,000 km they're probably well past their best.:laugh

·
Registered
47 Posts
i'm trying out a chain spray wax, i'll take a pic of it the week end and post it, it seems to be lubing quite nicely and minimizing chain noise.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I cant hear the chain at any revs (unless coasting with the engine off)

If you can hear the chain over the engine - its too tight or out of alignment
or stretched. when my master link stretched it clunked like crazy as it went between the teeth of the sprockets, and I could feel the vibrations through the left peg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts