Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 05 620 and im about to do a 5000km oil change, was wondering if i should change the oil filter at the same time or leave it till the 10k service? Not even gonna ask about what kind of oil i should use, will find myself a good synthetic. Thanks

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
mark3009 said:
Got a 05 620 and im about to do a 5000km oil change, was wondering if i should change the oil filter at the same time or leave it till the 10k service? Not even gonna ask about what kind of oil i should use, will find myself a good synthetic. Thanks
I change oil and filter every 2500-3000 miles. I'd change it if it were me.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Yep, leaving the old filter on is about the same as swapping it, but dumping a quart of you old oil back in along with the new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, will change the oil and the filter.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
ducpainter said:
I change oil and filter every 2500-3000 miles. I'd change it if it were me.
I change my oil every 5000km (~3k miles), and I _mostly_ change the filter at the same time, but I don't stress about it if I don't happen to have on on the shelf at the time (like last weekend). I _do_ make sure I never miss the filter twice in a row - and that's still meeting Ducati's service schedule, they only ask you to change the oil and filter every 10,000km...

big

·
Registered
103 Posts
pretty much anytime you find yourself questioning whether or not you should change a filter, on any vehicle, it means you should do it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Filter everytime!! It's cheap why not do it you just spent 5000-20000 on a bike why shy away from a $9 part

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Scrufdog said:
pretty much anytime you find yourself questioning whether or not you should change a filter, on any vehicle, it means you should do it.
Yeah, probably, but I'm busy and lazy - I figure if I've found time to change the oil, but I don't have a filter on hand, I'm better off with new oil in the bike with the old filter than putting it off for another 3 or 4 weekends till I find time to go to the shop _and_ change the oil again...

big

·
Registered
103 Posts
bigiain said:
Yeah, probably, but I'm busy and lazy - I figure if I've found time to change the oil, but I don't have a filter on hand, I'm better off with new oil in the bike with the old filter than putting it off for another 3 or 4 weekends till I find time to go to the shop _and_ change the oil again...

big
actually not really. Some filters have a built in bypass valve. If the filter gets too clogged up, the bypass valve will open, and you get no filtration at all, and sometimes the valve, once opened, can cause stuff in the filter to come back out, putting it back in yor engine. Granted, this takes a fairly long time for it to happen, but no point in trying to find out when

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Scrufdog said:
actually not really. Some filters have a built in bypass valve. If the filter gets too clogged up, the bypass valve will open, and you get no filtration at all, and sometimes the valve, once opened, can cause stuff in the filter to come back out, putting it back in yor engine. Granted, this takes a fairly long time for it to happen, but no point in trying to find out when
True, but I'm talking about occasionally skipping one of my twice-as-often-as-the-service-schedule oil filter changes - worst case for me is I end up with the recommended factory filter changes with fresh oil dropped in half way through.

Bottom line for me - all you guys saying "change the filter every 3k" are right, but I'm happy enough doing something something between that and the owners manual recommendations...

big

1 - 11 of 11 Posts