Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I want to buy an S2R 1000 (I think). I looked at the options, S2R 800, S4R, Sr4S, read all I could in the mags and reviews and thought long 'an hard. I also read a whole lot of your remarks and threads on this bike and the others mentioned. This is an incredibly good site and you are the ones that make it that way. Lots of different opinions and wiseness eminates from this screen, no doubt.

So why am I asking this question I hear you ask? Well, I just want to hear that I'm making the right choice from some of you wise ones. The question I can't answer is will this bike be right for an ageing(ish) biker who has only ridden Harleys and smallish (250s and 500s) older bikes before? I owned a V-Rod, two Fat Boys and a couple of old classics so it will be quite a leap of faith to go for a Duke.

I rode a Honda R1 once and it was WAAAY too much power & testosterone and not my scene. So is the Monster 1000 a kinder and more controllable beastie with a loveable character? What are these problems I read about valves on the 06 S2R 1000 - are they overstated or is there a real chance I get end up with the same? I have to leave the bike standing for 4 weeks in every 2 months to go working overseas - what advice would you give me to keep the bike in condition and rideable on my return? Any advice will be real welcome folks.... [thumbsup] ::)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Well all I can tell you is that I am *very* happy with my S2R 1000!

No valve or valve guide problems so far (approx 7000 miles) and from what I read on this Board...Ducati is covering any problems anyway so no worries there.

"Surging" problems, O2 sensor: From my experience I believe that most of these problems are caused by poor dealer set-up. Mine runs fine, it does have an occasional rough spot way low in the RPM range in 1st gear mostly but nothing major or problematic. The bikes are designed to run very lean so you will have a minor hiccup now and again. With that annoyance you will also get between 50 to near 60 miles per gallon. With the price of gas and that kind of mileage, I can live with a slight stumble here and there, but you will have to decide if you can live with it too. When I say occasional, that is exactly what I experience...occasional and rather rare...but it does happen.

I do run the Spark CAT eliminator pipe and straight through Arc Fabrication mufflers.

It is a great bike, runs nice, enough power but not too much, lots of available aftermarket parts to keep your pocket book cleaned out, it gets lots of compliments from other riders and non-riders alike. The Monster has quickly become the favorite machine I own.

IMO...you can't go wrong with the S2R 1000.

Best of Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.