Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So I chopped my tail and replaced my rear marker lights with a set of LP flush mounts. Took the bike for a quick run afterwards and everything seemed fine.

Next morning noticed that one of the marker lights had lost it's bulb and wasn't working. Removed the light, took off the lense and reseated the bulb. I plugged in just the one marker light and turned the key to power. Brake light comes on, headlight comes on, I go to turn on the directional and the brake light goes out and no directional-front or rear.

So I try several iterations-both marker lights plugged in, both unplugged, one plugged. Nothing. All I get is headlight and the brakelight if I am applying the brake. So I think I should check to see if the bike will start. That's when I notice no neutral light. Actually, no "dash" lights at all. After starting, I see that the gauges aren't functioning. Quick check of the fuses-all OK. Pulled the wiring harness and it seems to be fine with no visible cuts or anything.

I did cut the wire that went to the license plate light. I can't use it the way I have the tail chopped and the with the brackets I have for the brake and the lic plate so I thought it would be okay to cut the wires and tuck them into the sleeve. The wires were not touching the frame nor were the cut ends touching each other.

Any thoughts? I don't understand why the gauges would be affected by the markerlight/brake light problem. Maybe I just need a new harness?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Miles

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stopped by my dealer this morning and they are telling me that a new harness is gonna cost me $600?!!?

Incidentally, does anyone have any input on my problem (see above)? I posted it late last nite and I think it got lost. I'd really love some help in troubleshotting this!

TIA,
Miles

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Look at you fuses again (like maybe check them with an ohm meter), and double check that someting there isn't inadvertantly grounded... I'm pretty sure that the things you mentioned not working are all on the same fused circuit (I don't have a bike or wiring diagram here to double check, though).

Unless something went WAY bad, I can't imagine that it's going to require an new wiring harness... ;)

--Fillmore

S

·
0 Posts
i found the same type of symptom a while back while reassembling the s4. turned out i had one of my horns' wires reversed. so aside from double-checking your fuses as fillmore suggests, double-check the stuff you wired and make sure you didn't hook anything up backwards.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the variables:

Unplugged the brake light and marker lights-no big deal it would seem.

Cut the wire for the lic plate light-this left two exposed wires which I should have put electrical tape on but didn't, they were hanging and def not touching the frame but may have touched one another or been close enough for current to jump.

If the latter were the cause I would be expecting one or both of the following: a blown fuse, a fried wire. I didn't smell or see smoke and when I removed the harness to inspect I didn't see any obvious damage. I also didn't see any break in the fuse. Have you guys ever had a fuse go without any visible damage to it? I guess I will try and replace that fuse and see if that at least gets my gauges back. If that works I'll tape up the wires and reconnect everything and see whats what.

Thanks,
Miles

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, thanks Fillmore! I think the key wasn't in the ignition when I clipped them because I didn't get the exciting characteristic pop and also because I was able to run her the first nite I made the changes. It wasn't until the next day when I was fiddling with things that I discovered/created the problem.

Thanks guys, helpful as always!
Miles

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
There's no "frontwards" or "Backwards" on an incandesent light bulb. If all you messed with was light bulbs (turn signals and plate illuminator), you don't have a polarity problem.

OTOH, you have a three contact (two filament) brake/marker lamp. That has one ground (-) and a hot (+) for each filament. You want to be sure you didn't wire the two (+) leads across one filament. Don't think you messed with that light though.

I vote fuse.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And a fuse it is-rather was ;)! All is well and I'm off to Newbury Street to terrorize the Euro-trash.

Thanks for the input guys,
miles

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Well, that 7.5 amp fuse sure beat the hell out of a $600 wiring harness, huh? ;D

--Fillmore

1 - 11 of 11 Posts