Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to take my bike somewhere to get dyno'd and a new computer so that it runs properly. I'd also need an airfilter.

I currently have an exhaust with no other engine mods. Could you guys recommed a good Ducati mechanic on the westside?

TIA.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Hi S4Rider,

I haven't had any work done by this guy, but probably will when I can. I also have some issues with the my Duc runs and I don't think the place where I bought mine really understands the problem or is not knowledgeable enough to make corrective actions.

I understand this guy is the " shiznit! " .

Scotty's moto servizio
Scott Waters
2698 Junipero Ave. No 117
Signal Hill, CA 90755
562-981-0911

I don't know if he's got a Dyno or not or if he does computer work, but it's worth a call to check. I've also heard good things about Oceanside Ducati. I've been there once and they were super nice, but that's just too far for me to regular business.

Good luck in your search and let us know what you find.

Regards,
AC

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Quite honestly without a dyno there is no sense doing the tuning work. Also it depends on which route you go. Power Commander or FIM. If its a PC then find a competent Dynojet PC center with experience on the Ducs. Infoage may know of someone as I believe he's done the Power Commander thing. As far as FIM work I havent talked to anyone out here on the West Coast I would recommend yet. I still will take my bike to Minnesota to have Doug Lofgren continue to make any changes I may need for my 620 as well as the 851.

·
Registered
849 Posts

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Hey Ryan,

From the FIM site

We are happy to announce the release of the UltiMap U59 Engine Management ECU, for late model Ducatis which use the Weber 5.9M ECU. These models include:
2001 Models; Monster S4, ST4S, 996R
2002 Models; Monster S4, ST4S, Monster 620, Monster 900, 998, 998S, 998R
2003 Models; Monster S4, ST4S, Monster 620, Monster 800, Monster 1000DS, 620S, 800SS, 1000DS
This version of the U59 is not compatible with 999 and 749 models but we are developing a version for these models. The U59 ECU has the following features:

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
If its a PC then find a competent Dynojet PC center with experience on the Ducs. Infoage may know of someone as I believe he's done the Power Commander thing.
I agree with John: you want a Duc shop and you want experience.

I had my map done at Orange County Motorsports (as did Scott S), and I was disappointed. Scott's was the second Ducati he ever had on his dyno, mine was the third. While the bike did run better, the air/fuel curve is very uneven and the tuner himself gave me bad vibes. He is an ex big-time Triumph road-race mechanic with a (Ducati) ax to grind, and he spend a fair amount of time belittling Ducatis in general, and my Termi full system specifically. I tweaked the new map myself the very next day, and think it is improved.

I plan on having Dan Kyle build me a new map this summer to match my latest mods. But, if I were to do it around here, I would take it to Neil at Spectrum Motorsports. I spent over an half-hour talking to him at their open-house and came away impressed. Among the things we talked about were PowerCommanders and their capabilities. He sounded quite knowledgeable and certainly enthusiastic.

http://www.kyleusa.com/about_us.htm

http://www.spectrumotorsports.com/ducati_aprilia/profiles/Neil Freeman.htm

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Sean,

I didn't think you would have to come this far east to DynoDudes to get it done...

They can dyno the bike, and if you have a PC III, they can dyno-map that as well. Nice guys, and they did a good job on the dyno-map of the PC III on my bike.

They don't know much about Ducatis, however.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I agree with John: you want a Duc shop and you want experience.

I had my map done at Orange County Motorsports (as did Scott S), and I was disappointed. Scott's was the second Ducati he ever had on his dyno, mine was the third. While the bike did run better, the air/fuel curve is very uneven and the tuner himself gave me bad vibes. He is an ex big-time Triumph road-race mechanic with a (Ducati) ax to grind, and he spend a fair amount of time belittling Ducatis in general, and my Termi full system specifically. I tweaked the new map myself the very next day, and think it is improved.

I plan on having Dan Kyle build me a new map this summer to match my latest mods. But, if I were to do it around here, I would take it to Neil at Spectrum Motorsports. I spent over an half-hour talking to him at their open-house and came away impressed. Among the things we talked about were PowerCommanders and their capabilities. He sounded quite knowledgeable and certainly enthusiastic.

http://www.kyleusa.com/about_us.htm

http://www.spectrumotorsports.com/ducati_aprilia/profiles/Neil Freeman.htm
Well, I guess my initial impression of Spectrum's new mechanic, Neil Freeman, was, um, spot on. I was at Spectrum today fishing for valve shims in their parts department and ran into Neil. I asked him how he was doing, if he was getting settled into to the California life ok.

He said, "Oh, I don't work here anymore. I'm moving to Atlanta. I've been hired by Eric Bostrom..."

I guess he still does some work at Spectrum, on a very limited basis. Flying back and forth to do an engine, for example. And he did speak highly of their other lead mechinic, also named "Neil", and said they consulted by phone when Neil2 had a question, but still...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
So, E.Boz scoops up the hot new wrench at Spectrum. Dang. :(

Did you find any shims there?

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Did you find any shims there?
They were in the process of moving across the street, so there was a fair amount of disarray. Still, we found shims close enough that I could sand down to make work. Given that I'm running corsa springs, I need to stay very tight on the clearances so there's no way I'd find an exact match anyway.

They said they were getting a fresh shim kit this week from ducatimike.

I have no idea how far along they were in their move, but it didn't look like they had much in the way of parts inventory. Pro Italia seems to have the most parts in stock. But they seem to charge a premium

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Moving across the street ??? The parts department only or the whole shebang? It looked like Spectrum hadn't been there very long when I went by a while back...

Yeah, I got my shims at PI, they were the only shop around that had all of the ones I needed, none of the other shops could even fill half of what I needed.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I think it's a really strange business decision. They're moving all the Euro stuff across the street, where the Porsche dealer was located, and moving all the Porsche stuff into Spectrum's main area. All the non-Euro stuff, including apparel, and motocross are staying.

I understand the sales guys are going to still be selling both Euro and Asia stuff. Running between both buildings. Hmmm... I bet they sell more Honda's than Ducs, so I wonder what the sales impact is going to be when all the sales guys are hanging out around the Honda side.

Regards,
AC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts