Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
flighty said:
LOOOVE the Scorpion pants- I saw them for the first time a few weeks ago online. If they weren't so expensive, I'd totally go for them... I'll see how long I can hold off on my student budget. They're the first perf leather pants I've seen around, and the stitching + design is haaawt. Big drawback- no armor. As much as I hate my "fat pants" (Joe Rocket Cleo overpants, I think), they're loaded with protection in knees and hips. If I got these, I'd try to get some kind of knee guard to go underneath, but that would depend on the fit of the pants.
Oh, no armor? Boo! I assumed that since there was the little orange CE flag below the description that there was at least knee armor. Hmm.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I think you're right. I only read the description on Scorpion's website and it said "double leather in high impact areas," but it does have the little logo below that says it has CE armor. Even more appeal!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Good luck finding women's gear for sportbikes. I can find plenty of cruiser stuff and some touring stuff, but when it comes to fitting for leathers, I've struck out 100%. I've had the most luck with just using the manufacturer provided sizing charts and ordering online.

As far as crashing, there is no comparison between reinforced jeans (which still shred and have zero protection against breaking bones) and proper leather pants that zip into a jacket. This is why people are able to come off of seemingly horrific race and track day crashes with nothing but a little stiffness the next day. The road is much more dangerous than the track and has many more opportunities for you to run into hard objects (or have them run into you). If you are buying pants for protection, go for the pants that have CE armor in the knees and at least padding in the hip, whether they are leather or textile. Keep in mind that leather can crash without needing repair and textile usually needs help (or a trash can) after a crash, since the fibers shred faster than leather (I'm not talking about every instance, but just the general case).

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Emily said:
As far as crashing, there is no comparison between reinforced jeans (which still shred and have zero protection against breaking bones) and proper leather pants that zip into a jacket. This is why people are able to come off of seemingly horrific race and track day crashes with nothing but a little stiffness the next day. The road is much more dangerous than the track and has many more opportunities for you to run into hard objects (or have them run into you). If you are buying pants for protection, go for the pants that have CE armor in the knees and at least padding in the hip, whether they are leather or textile. Keep in mind that leather can crash without needing repair and textile usually needs help (or a trash can) after a crash, since the fibers shred faster than leather (I'm not talking about every instance, but just the general case).
+1 Emily. I definitely agree.

I want to post a link to a story about what happens when you crash without gear. It's pretty tough to read, so this is a warning if you have a weak stomach. But reading this made a lasting impression on me, and even to this day if I am tempted to ride without gear I think about this story. If you are going to take risks you should probably know the consequences. http://www.speedfreakinc.com/safety/extreme_roadrash_cause_effect_and_lesson_learned_2.html

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Yeah I love the look of the Scorpion gear, but I definitely am hoping it has armor, or else I don't think I will get it. But I noticed the same thing, that it didn't list it as a feature, but that it had the CE logo at the bottom...so I think I will contact scorpion to find out for sure.

My hope would be that for the limited amount of female gear out there, that Scorpion would make their line as wearable as possible...which to me means as safe as possible...but you never know.

I don't think i have the guts to click on that think...I will take your words for it that its bad....

And thats why I need gear ASAP! Lucky for me I am still just going 10mph in parking lots.....hahaha

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Since we got on the subject of road rash (not a fun one), it reminded me that I should warn you guys about something that happened to me that most people probably *never* think of and especially guys and the people that make the gear. This is the threat that lurks under the gear - yes, the threat of panties.

ok ok so I know this sounds ridiculous but this was actually probably the most painful experience of my life so please take me seriously! I got wheelied off the back of a bike a few years back (it had no passenger pegs but I insisted on riding anyway - yes, stupid and yes the guy that popped the wheelie is a complete dueche) so anyway - had gear and seemed like everything as I landed on my *very* comfortably padded ghetto booty. I hopped back on and rode a bit more like a champ. All I felt was this weird stinging in the rear.

So then we get home a few hours later and I go to take my pants off and... they don't come off... they are stuck. I work to peel them off slowly and painfully only to find that the synthetic material from my thong had melted from the friction of the fall!! INTO MY BUTT. So ya, spent the next few hours downing a whole bottle of JD while my then bf at the time slowly picked the material out of my skin with tweezers. I think I fainted twice from the intensity of the pain.

Now whenever I ride I make sure that my undies are at *least* mostly cotton. Figured I'd share my unusual experience and hopefully help save someone else's a*s - literally. hahaha.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
You know, I also have to say that I found that girl's myspace page from the road rash story. If you can get past the injuries, her story is actually amazingly inspiring. It's really incredibly how she triumphed over the fear and pain she suffered to continue riding and move on with her life. She seems to have this new confidence in herself. Props to her for her courage and perseverance. [clap]

·
Registered
76 Posts
That story was good for me to see. I shared it with my family. I recently purchased Dainese leather pants and jacket that zip together. It's comfortable and feels like it would save my skin should there be an incident. I have to admit though that I have been tempted at times to not wear the pants since "I'm only going to the dentist, 5 minutes away." Yesterday I fluctuated between wearing all my gear to the dentist or just the jacket. I didn't want to gear up for such a short ride. I decided to take the car. Last night I read that story and now I'm convinced to always put on the full package. If I'm only going a few miles, I'll drive the car. Thanks for sharing the story. It was a big eye opener. Don't compromise for convenience.

Does anyone have "over pants" that feel like good protection? I really don't like chaps.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
MBalmer said:
That story was good for me to see. I shared it with my family. I recently purchased Dainese leather pants and jacket that zip together. It's comfortable and feels like it would save my skin should there be an incident. I have to admit though that I have been tempted at times to not wear the pants since "I'm only going to the dentist, 5 minutes away." Yesterday I fluctuated between wearing all my gear to the dentist or just the jacket. I didn't want to gear up for such a short ride. I decided to take the car. Last night I read that story and now I'm convinced to always put on the full package. If I'm only going a few miles, I'll drive the car. Thanks for sharing the story. It was a big eye opener. Don't compromise for convenience.

Does anyone have "over pants" that feel like good protection? I really don't like chaps.
Glad you found it interesting. On a side note - I was in a crash coming back from the bagel store 5 minutes from my house... parked in a spot and didn't notice the oil puddle. On the way home the front tire washed out and down the bike went. I was in a jacket, boots, and helmet, but had on jeans and no gloves. Ripped open my knuckles, scraped up my knee (ripped the crap out of my jeans) and got road rash on my side and back where the jacket rode up. If I had on my gear I wouldn't have had a scratch on me. DUH!!! :-[ :'(

Here are the overpants I wear now... It's a great system. I put them over dress pants going to work and everything. When I get to my destination, I just unzip the sides, step out of them, and then use a little computer lock to lock the jacket, pants, and helmet to my bike. The lock goes through the sleeve/pant leg, through the helmet, and then through the handlebars. I can walk away looking like I never got off a bike (except for the boots). Mine are the older 5.0 version of these pants, but I think they are basically the same.
http://www.newenough.com/protective...cket/ladies_ballistic_7_motorcycle_pants.html

·
Registered
826 Posts
I felt the temptation to only wear the jacket would be great. I got ONE piece leathers and a ONE piece Stitch suit. Now I am forced to wear the pants cause they are connected.

I teach CPR and First Aid and tell students to dress for the crash, and not the ride.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
MBalmer said:

The day you went to work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBgdMb3ATCc

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
SheMonster said:
That vid does drive home a message, doesn't it :(
I've buried more of my fellow motorcyclists then I can to count. Most of them end up as a sticker with two dates on my helmet and a vague sense of emptiness.

Wear the damn gear.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
This thread has turned very somber and disheartening from what had been just a conversation about gear and what to buy. I know the WHY is the most important part, and I am not in any way questioning or discounting the validity of any of the stories stated here...

.....but its kinda making me not want to ride :-\

Can we pep it up again? :)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
ducatihotti said:
This thread has turned very somber and disheartening from what had been just a conversation about gear and what to buy. I know the WHY is the most important part, and I am not in any way questioning or discounting the validity of any of the stories stated here...

My fault! Here's some happy gear.

Better? K, I'll go back to where I belong now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ducatihotti said:

Actually, this thread has been good for making me be very decisive about wearing gear. I have not compromised on the gear I wear, but it becomes tempting to leave some of it behind due to a short distance ride for a quick errand or the upcoming heat of summer. This thread doesn't make me feel like I don't want to ride, it makes me wear my gear regardless. But yeah, I would like to hear more about gear that is safe and well liked.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts