Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Shoei RF-700 helmet right after I bought my M900 in 1997. Red to match the bike. It seemed to be the best deal, it fit me better than the Arai helmets, and I loved the way you could remove a face shield and put a different one on in less than half a minute.

After a few years that helmet started to get a bit worn on the interior, so I bought a new RF-800. I felt that the RF-800 was a step backwards as far as vent control and wind noise prevention, but that was the one I wore on serious rides, and that is the one that saved my head when I crashed in October. Besides, wind noise isn't an issue with good earplugs.

Somebody on Craigs List had a pair of red Shoei helmets for sale in the right size and color for $40 each when I hadn't yet found a replacement for the dearly departed Monster, so I bought them. At the time, I then had two RF-700 and two RF-800 (one crash damaged) Shoei helmets in size XL, all of them red.

So then I had three good helmets, but I bought a yellow Ducati, so they no longer matched. I had examined the RF-1000 at the San Mateo motorcycle show in November and it looked good.

Anyway, I decided to buy a new RF-1000 in yellow to match the paint on the ST2. The local Cycle gear had only a few in stock, none in the right size, and none in plain yellow so I ordered one.

It took nearly two weeks for the helmet to show up, but I have it now and have ridden with it for a few miles. Here are my impressions:

It is nice to have a helmet where all of the vents can be worked while wearing it and with gloves on. The back vent is opened by sliding to the left and closed by sliding to the right. The top front vents are pushed back to open and forward to close. The front vent on the chin bar opens by pulling down.

When I first tried out the helmet, the temperature was in the 40's, and I had all of the vents open. It only took about a mile to decide too much air was coming through, so I closed the top and back vents in less than 10 seconds. That was better.

Later, I noticed that the inside of the shield was fogging just a tiny bit, so I opened the back vent to draw a little more air through, which worked quite well.

Like the older helmets, the RF-1000 has a plastic piece on the left that you can flip up so that the face shield stays open a crack. I have never found that feature useful, but the RF-1000 has an added feature where you can filp the same piece back and it locks the shield shut. I'll probably also find no use for that feature either, since I've never had a problem with face shields not staying shut at high speeds, but it's good to know that the helmet designers are still thinking.

One other new feature (at least not on my older helmets) is that you can remove the cheek and strap covers for cleaning. I don't think I've ever cleaned the inside of a helmet (I'm not a sweaty kind of guy) but I guess I might consider it every year or two now that it's so easy.

One of the big things I noticed when wearing the helmet was that the RF-1000 does a much better job of cutting out noises from the outside than the RF-800 or the RF-700 (which is better than the RF-800). There is still wind noise, but it's not as bad as with the older helmets.

I'm just slightly annoyed that the RF-1000 takes different face shields than the older helmets. Because I have to wear glasses to see clearly enough to ride, and because my prescription dark glasses are polarized, I can't really use them with a clear shield. I figured out after only a couple of months of owning the original RF-700 that I needed a dark shield for riding on sunny days. I happen to currently have a bunch of face shields that fit the older helmets, but I bought a new dark smoke shield with the RF-1000. They're expensive (high 20's), but they last for many years, so I shouldn't really have to buy any new ones.

I'll have to do some freeway riding (and post a photo) before this "helmet test" is complete. I have some custom molded earplugs that work great for reducing loud engine noises, but let too much wind noise through. I'm hoping to find that they're a big improvement with the RF-1000, since it generates less wind noise.

Oh, and for some reason, I think the the RF-1000 in yellow looks just fantastic with the dark shield. The older red helmets had the name and model number stuck on with silver stickers. The new yellow helmet uses black paint which has a higher quality look to it. The contrasting black with bright yellow looks very sharp.

The final advantage to the yellow helmet is safety. It's clearly the most visible color that Shoei currently sells and only a fraction behind flourescent orange for the most visible helmet color of all. Red is good in bright sunlight, but yellow is also more visible on overcast days.

So do I like the new RF-1000. Yes! Clearly I like it a lot and consider it one of the better deals (at just over $300) in helmets.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Thanks for the info. I currently have a shoei TZ-1 and its pretty good, but I've had it for about 3.5 years. I looked at the ARAI helmets, but the face sheild felt too flimsy. I will have to try the RF-1000 as I like the quality of Shoei's helmets. THX!

V

·
0 Posts
I couldn't agree more with Scott R. Nelson and TAFMONSTER. I have the RED Rf-1000, and let me just say that its the most perfect color match to my red 800s. Beautiful color! The vents are awesome, tehy work great and the black locking mechanism seems useless. I'll never use it. Its very light and i dont get neck fatigue as I did with my AGV Demon Top Vent, which is shaped like a basketball. The Shoei has a more 'tear-drop' and aerodynamic shape to it which explains the reduction in wind noise.
Wind-tunnel testing rules!
Great helmet, couldnt be happier. I got a dark visor to go with it and paid ~$270 total. Best money I ever spent.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Perfect timing for this thread Scott. I tried one on a couple of days ago and it felt very comfortable .Fairly light . I was very impressed.I haven't found a x-11 to try on yet. Hoping they are fairly close in size and comfort. i will probably choose betreen them as i have tried on just about every other helmet i could find . With the central valley summer heat ventilation is a biggie :-[ Hopefully they will be cool 8) 8)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I also own an RF-1000. Love it to death. The easily adjustable vents are awesome. Easily the best helmet I've owned.

Great write up Scott!

-dj

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
So Scott , now that you have had the 1000 awhile tell us more. I found a shoei x-11 to try on and didn't like the liner material, it caught my beard when taking it off and on but the lining in the 1000 gave me no problems. comfort was nice. I know it's to cold , well for calif, standards , to tell how cool of a helmet it will be in the summer months-90"s-100's but if the ventilation works good in the cold it should still work in the heat. Curious to hear more impressions from you . 8)

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, since I finally used it for 80 miles yesterday under all types of conditions, I do have more to say about the RF-1000.

I didn't notice it before, but either my glasses stick up too high or the top of the opening comes down too low. I noticed the helmet pushes my glasses down about 1/4", which didn't happen with the RF-700 or RF-800. That's something I can live with.

I tested it out several times at speeds a little above 100 mph. It's clearly more aerodynamic than the older helmets. I didn't notice my head getting pushed back. Of course, I wasn't on a Monster either, so there may be other differences. What I did notice though, was that if I turned my head more than about 10 degrees to either side, I experienced some serious side forces that I don't remember ever having with other helmets. That seems to happen from 80 mph on up.

I still really like the vents that I can adjust while wearing the helmet and with gloves on. I also still really like the ability to swap face shields in a few seconds.

I'm quite happy that I decided to buy the RF-1000 and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good helmet at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
thanks for the info Scott, I will have to wear my sunglasses when i try on the helmet one more time 8)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my glasses. Ever now and then when I stop at a light, I pop up the sheild to push them back up my nose.

One thing that seems to help is to wipe any oil off the bridge of my nose and glasses before putting them on. Helps a little.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After Allstate paid off on my wrecked Monster, they told me that when I bought a new replacement helmet, they would reimburse me, as long as I brought in the old one to my local agent.

Well I just got a check from them for $350, which covers the cost of the helmet, extra tinted shield, and taxes. Thanks, Allstate.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Your in good hands ;DGlad to hear your helmet was covered. I am still looking at helmets but the rf1000 and x-11 are still the leading candidates.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey Scott! You want to get rid of your old shields? Do you have any of the mirrored ones? Which model do you have? I have a RF-900 and they use the CX-1 shields.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Scott! You want to get rid of your old shields? Do you have any of the mirrored ones? Which model do you have? I have a RF-900 and they use the CX-1 shields.
I still have two good RF-700 helmets and an RF-800 with a total of five shields; four clear and one dark tinted. One of the clear ones has enough scratches that I won't be using it again. Unless I find someone who wants to buy a used XL Shoei in red, I plan to keep all of the helmets and the shields that go with them.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Thanks for the info Scott. Looking at getting an RF-1000 now, also in Axis Yellow. It seems to be a great value. The X-11 seems like the ultimate Shoei, but it's about $150 more than the RF and some complain that it's much louder (since it's a race helmet).

So far the best price I've found is at:

http://www.tonker.com/

If you enter "Rick's Rides" in the comment field you get an additional discount.

They have the RF-1000 for $249.99 before discount. My dealer wanted $313, even after buying a new bike from them.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Just bought an RF-1000 last night and got a smoking deal:

Tonker: Helmet was $249.99, shipping was $9.48. In the coupon space I put "Rick's Ride." (Don't ask me why it works, I just learned this from the ST-Net board.) They took off $12.50 for the Rick's Rides discount. Total price was $246.97.

Helmetharbor: $269, including shipping.

Dennis Kirk: $339.99 + shipping (though they have a guaranteed lowest price policy)

Dealer offered me a "deal" of $313.00 with their discount for buying a new bike.

Tonker will be my first choice from now on. Even the "hot" lids on the auction sites can't match that price.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I just got mine today from Kneedraggers.com for 269.00. It's gloss black with a dark smoke shield (shield was $30). It'll look awesome with the black S4R! Great looking helmet and a great fit. I'll post a review when I have some ride time with it. To be continued...

J

·
0 Posts
Am I looking in the right place? I went to toker.com and the RF1000 solid was selling for $306, and on kneedraggers.com it was selling for $340. ???

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Well, I finally got the bike, and I was able to use my helmet. Everything about it is great. It's a great fit. The aerodynamic shell is just that. When I'm looking ahead, there's no buffeting (unless your in 30 mph gusts). When looking to the side, things get a little noisy and it buffets a little bit. Nothing to complain about though. I had no neck fatigue (for an hour ride), and the venting works great. All in all, the RF-1000 is a great helmet for the money. I love it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts