Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, time to order up a rear end. So which rear shock should I get, Ohlins, Penske, WP, FOX ??

Ohlins of course has the chi chi factor !

Penske, seems really nice from all the reviews, but I ahve not seen anyone here run them. And do I go 2 way or three way with high speed compression ? Is it worth the extra $300 ?

WP ? hmm...got a local dealer here that has them...price is not too bad for a three way, approx. $650

Then Fox, I love Fox forks and rear shock for my MTB. I have never had a single problem with their products. How do they rate in Motorycle world ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated !!!

Lastly, is it hard to instal a rear shock ? I figure I'll do the ghetto method and put a rod through the frame to lift it up so its completely unloaded from the rear swingarm.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: SHOCKS !!

I recommend the ohlins, i had one on my super bike and it made a huge difference to the standard showa. Make sure you get the correct spring weight no matter what shock you buy.
As for changeing the shock, a friend an I used a block & tackle from the roof rafters!! dont forget a few rags around the chain. A good shock & correct spring WILL make a big difference!
good luck
Dan

·
Registered
339 Posts

I talked to the guys at Fox and they said that they don't spec a shock for my bike ('02 620). I thought that was interesting since lots of folks sell a Fox TC supposedly "for" that bike. I think I'm going to find a showa and have it rebuilt with Racetech valves spec'd to this bike. So far, that seems to be the best bang for the buck I could find.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

I have Penske, Ohlins, & Fox, on various bikes & I would rate them as follows: on a scale from 1-10, Ohlins 9; Penske 8.5, Fox 6; stock 4. A properly revalved stock Showa can be turned into a pretty good unit, but you will never get much for it if/when you decide to sell it. Check with Stuart @ Spareshack for Ohlins prices.

·
Registered
600 Posts

Ohlins 9; Penske 8.5, Fox 6; stock 4.
Really? Stock is THAT bad?
I need to start saving up.

What is it about the Ohlins that makes it so much better?

G

·
Discussion Starter #6

hey norm, which penske did you have ? I'm debating on which one to get..or if i should get a ohlins...man, this is a hard choice !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #8

so get this,....mr digital and I were bidding on the same shock !!

I was too drunk to stay awake and bid it out !!! He got his Ohlins for $600 !!!!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I'd have to agree with Norm on the scale of which shock rates best/worst...

Ohlins - best shock for what you pay
Penske - overpriced for a comparable contender
Fox - budget-priced good aftermarket shock but doesn't compare to the big boys

Sachs - (stock) pretty much is crap... it's very difficult to rebuild it because it's not made to be taken apart.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts

I've had 2 Penske shocks, one on an F3 & one on a TL1000S. I forget the model #, but they were the basic shock - no dual damping, etc., just basic rebound & compression adjustments. I have several Ohlins & 1 Fox, & they are all comparable models with the same adjustments.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I have Ohlins on 2 of 3 Ducs with the third just waiting for the funds.

If you can get a good deal on a WP, I'd consider it... WP is licensed to build from Ohlins designs. In fact, WP builds some of Ohlins products for them.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
426 Posts

Here is a couple of interesting pictures the Ohlins shock is from Troy Corsers bike the bottom picture is the shock off my 1036CS a 3 way adjustable ordered from Penske retail is about $1200 for the Penske retail for the Ohlins is about $5000. The Penske has more in common with the Ohlins race shock then the steel bodied street shock.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Alex,

Nice Ti spring you got there on that Penske.
Is that included in the $1200 or is it an upcharge?

Ahhh...nice CF frame too. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #14

i think it would be roughly 350.00 for race tech shock and thats with you doing some of the work, lindemann sells fox twin clickers for 529.00, penske 2way for 660.00, wp for 670.00 and motowheels sells ohlins for around 6 bills.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Re: SHOCKS !! WHICH ONE

The Penske two-way which is comparable to the mid-range Ohlins available for the Monster sells for around $650-660. There are no cheaper Ohlins due to recent exchange rates.

Price differences apply to the higher end models and if you need something so specialized then specific features should be debated and not the relative expense. The Penske two-way, or the three-way, are not overpriced.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Alex,

Nice Ti spring you got there on that Penske.
Is that included in the $1200 or is it an upcharge?
No the titanium spring is extra. It was the only picture I could find quickly. The titanium spring is from Yoyodyne saves a good 1.5lbs thats half the weight of the original spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts