Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by the dealer in my area that Sachs shock parts are hard to get. It looks like I will need a stiffer spring (like a lot stiffer) for my bulbous body. Other than Olin's, what other shocks have you guys used. I have Wilbers on my 2 Yamahas. Have anybody used Wilbers?

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
maddawg46 said:
I was told by the dealer in my area that Sachs shock parts are hard to get. It looks like I will need a stiffer spring (like a lot stiffer) for my bulbous body. Other than Olin's, what other shocks have you guys used. I have Wilbers on my 2 Yamahas. Have anybody used Wilbers?

they're not too popular in the US.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
The Wilbers seem to be popular with the BMW folks.
BMW riders generally are pretty picky about the hardware, so I think it's safe to say that they're good.

Penske makes excellent shocks.

Ohlins is by far the most common for Ducs.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Hey bullet boy:
Care to forward any info about your Works Performance shock?
Price? Availability? How it works? Which Monster you run?

Looking to upgrade here too...
Checked out Ohlins, Penske and all are $$$$$$$.
WP probably isn't much cheaper but still looking for info!
[thumbsup]

Best,

SJ

B

·
0 Posts
seriousjimmy said:
Hey bullet boy:
Care to forward any info about your Works Performance shock?
Price? Availability? How it works? Which Monster you run?

Looking to upgrade here too...
Checked out Ohlins, Penske and all are $$$$$$$.
WP probably isn't much cheaper but still looking for info!
[thumbsup]

Best,

SJ
http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html

Yeah, you won't save much by buying one of these. I think I paid about $750, but its a well-made and attractive shock. Don't have anything to compare it against except the stock Sachs, but it works great on my 620. This company has been around a long time and is very popular with those trying to upgrade older or vintage bikes. This is the Ultra Sport and took a coupla' weeks to receive. If you call them, they will ask about your weight, what bike, and style of riding and then recommend the shock for you. Built to order. Very helpful and friendly people, I have no problem reccomending them.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've got a Wilbers on my S4R.

I like the adjustablibity of it. About the same cost as an Ohlins but they make them on spec for your weight and riding style. It also has high and low speed compression damping which takes the jolts out of big bumps.

I'd recommend them on build quality alone. They are very well made.

Cheers
Palooka

·
Registered
84 Posts
Any opinions on the differences between Wilbers / Ohlins / Bitubo / others?
I'm partial to the remote resevoir being attached to the side of my S2R 800.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
hey palooka, where did you get your wilbers from? did you get it in oz? can you tell me how much you paid? i would like one for my S4R.
cheers,
paul.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Yeah! Where on earth would you get a Wilbers anyways?

Justin

·
Banned
402 Posts
maddawg46 said:
It looks like I will need a stiffer spring (like a lot stiffer) for my bulbous body.
If all you need is a stiffer spring then you can get one for about $100 or so; I don't believe that you need to replace the whole shock. I, too, am substantially larger than the reference Ducati rider so I had BCM re-spring my suspension. They used an Ohlins spring with my stock shock so there's at least some interchangeability between different vendor's springs and shocks.

I'm sure that a new high-end shock would be better than just the right spring, but the right spring will be much, much better than what came from the factory and a lot cheaper than a high-end shock.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
caboteria:

I've been asking high and low about how to 're-spring' the stock shock on my 2002 M750 Dark. The general reply is that I'll have to get a replacement at substantial cost as no one makes a replacement spring for that model year's stock shock
Does BCM actually have a spring that will work with the stock shock on the '02 750?
I weigh in at 218 with full gear on. I'm mainly concerned with the 'sag' issue and don't yet want to spend $1000 on a replacement shock.
For that matter, are you having your fork springs re-done too?
Any info you could pass along, even better if it's First Hand Experience, would be awesome!

Thx

SJ

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
A.Duc.H.Duc. said:
Yeah! Where on earth would you get a Wilbers anyways?

Justin

www.wilbersusa.com/wilbers/index.htm

Also from their website:
Wilbers USA will be at the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show in NYC at the Jacob Javits Convention Center, January 19 - 21, 2007. Our booth number is 733. We will have special discounts available during the show.

·
Banned
402 Posts
seriousjimmy said:
I've been asking high and low about how to 're-spring' the stock shock on my 2002 M750 Dark. The general reply is that I'll have to get a replacement at substantial cost as no one makes a replacement spring for that model year's stock shock
Does BCM actually have a spring that will work with the stock shock on the '02 750?
I weigh in at 218 with full gear on. I'm mainly concerned with the 'sag' issue and don't yet want to spend $1000 on a replacement shock.
For that matter, are you having your fork springs re-done too?
Any info you could pass along, even better if it's First Hand Experience, would be awesome!
I've got a 2002 M750S which I'd assume is pretty much the same bike as yours except for my superfly red rims. My weight is a little north of yours but in the ballpark. [email protected] gave the suspension a whole lotta love at the Fall '05 open house. We had a little chat about what sort of riding I did and then I got on the scale with all of my stuff, tank bag, etc. In the back he just changed the spring and set the preload for the right amount of sag. It's an Ohlins spring and cost somewhere around $100 and fits the stock shock just fine. I'm mechanically challenged but the swap process looked like it would be well within the reach of someone who knew their way around a toolbox. If I were you I'd give BCM a call (or any of the board sponsors) and see if they can mail you the right spring, they've got a big rack full of different springs in their shop.

The front is a different kettle of fish. Eric had to pull the front end apart and disassemble the forks, put in new springs and cut spacers out of what looked like PVC pipe to get the right amount of sag. He might have even put in a different type of oil, I'm not sure. That process was a little bit of trial-and-error - he ended up having to cut a second set of spacers because the first ones were a little off. There's no way to adjust spring preload from the outside of our forks so I guess the spacer route is the only approach, but it's pretty labor-intensive.

The whole process (front and back) was around $750 IIRC but worth every penny and then some. The bike is much more stable than it was, especially in corners. Actually, that $750 might have included a belt change, too, so maybe it was less than that. But the forks took a few hours to do so they're not cheap.

Long story short, I believe that you can get a different spring for your existing shock, and it would be an improvement over what you've got now for way less $$$ than a full replacement shock. As far as forks go you don't have any inexpensive options.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
caboteria!
Thanks for all the info. Will be checking out the spring thing. The fork, I don't know. Feels really good as it is. But as I've read, well, once you tune up the rear shock, you notice that the fork needs help too...
Fairly mechanically inclined but can be kind of lazy... [thumbsup] Looks like it might be fun to do a bit of re-springing, though.
And...I too have those superfly red rims. Goes soooo well with the flat black color scheme.
Thanks again!

SJ

·
Registered
388 Posts
Loony, your in Bris Vegas right?

I got my shock ordered through Suspension Improvements in Slack's Creek. Got the forks revalved as well with some "Ohlins like" valves and shim stack.

Expect $1300-$1600 for the shock.

If that doesnt scare you off I'd say go for it. Call Steve (Woods) there. He knows all there is to know about suspension and is a nice guy to boot.

Hope this helps
Palooka

1 - 20 of 24 Posts