Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my bike for almost a week now. Decided to give my friend a ride around the block, and realized that I couldn't clear the speedbumps with both of us on at the same time. Does anyone know how to adjust the shocks to accomadate me (200 lbs.) plus a friend (115 lbs.).

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Missed the specs:
Oops, thought I added it to my signature, but it didn't show up.

2002 Monster 620 Dark

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I've been wondering this too, and I've had a monster for like 2 years now.

Someone help us out!

Do you just twist the thingy to tighten the rear monoshock?
How much?

I think we all have the same issue (how to add a ~120lb girl without screwing up the handling more than necessary).

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
In response to Molash, I'd say that if you're 200 lbs, you should have the preload maxed with just you on the bike and it still might not be enough. Add a friend and there's nothing you can do :'(

I'm speaking as a 900 owner, but I'd be really surprised if you got a bigger spring than I did!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Is the shock on the 620 even adjustable? I don't know... if it is, you should have to collets on the top of the shock. One's a locking ring, the other one adjusts the preload. A key might've come with the toolkit, or else you can get one for a few bucks from your Ducati dealer. Loosen the top ring, then turn the lower ring to compress the spring until you achieve the preload you desire. On my S4 it's a huge pain to get in there with the tool, brace yourself for some knuckle scraping. It was much easier on my R6, where I'd simply add a click of preload for passenger operation.

I'm only 170lbs and would run one click from max preload on my R6, I don't recall off the top of my head but I suspect that I'm running my Monster shock pretty close to max preload as well. Get a new spring or upgrade the shock as soon as the funds allow it.

-R.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts