Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 S4R and am a new rider. Normally, when commuting, I shift up at around 4,500 or 5,000 and cruise between 3,000 and 4,000. What do you guys do?

Also, how often do you guys take your bike up to 7,000 or 8,000? Will doing that frequently stress the motor? Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm new to duc's. just purchased an 07 s4rs. mine doesn't seem to like to cruise below 4,500rpm. I cruise at 5-6000rpm and shift at 8000 usually.. anything lower then that and the bike doesn't seem happy :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm new to duc's. just purchased an 07 s4rs. mine doesn't seem to like to cruise below 4,500rpm. I cruise at 5-6000rpm and shift at 8000 usually.. anything lower then that and the bike doesn't seem happy :)
I agree, this is where I spend most of my cruising time. I find anything under 4500 gets pretty chattery.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It depends on the model you have. Two valve motors typically run lower Rpm's than four valve motors. So the S4RS would run the best in the 5k to 6k range while the m1100 would run between 4k to 5k.

·
Registered
99 Posts
my 4V motor has no problem at low revs

I have an 07 S4R-T

it is my first liter bike and first real bike

for the past few weeks, I have been driving slow putting around to learn the ropes

I can cruise at 2-2,500 rpm no problems

I shift at 3-3.5 easily as well

if i leave it in 2nd gear and let the rpm drop really low under 2k for example

i can still give it gas, it'll chug a bit but it'll power thru it into it's power band again no problem

sounds like u guys might have some tuning issues in the low end

·
Registered
663 Posts
I try to keep my S4 spinnng above 3,200.

I usually shift at 6k, but when I have the road available, I'll push red line (9k)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree, this is where I spend most of my cruising time. I find anything under 4500 gets pretty chattery.
i ride a 696 and i agree, 4500-5000 is a cruising speed that makes my bike sound and feel very happy and also leaves me at the perfect RPMs if i need to punch the throttle and shift up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
sounds like u guys might have some tuning issues in the low end
I guess were at dif riding styles your talking about putting around town and I'm talking about back road twisties. I keep my 2v rpm's up for two reasons engine braking and at a slight twist of the wrist i'm coming out of a corner. Personally I try to stay away from towns especially small towns with Rosco P Coletrains in a black & white.

·
Registered
42 Posts
With my S2R1000 with QuatD box and stock ECU settings I find that in 4-5-6 gear I must be above 4500rpm if I want to roll on the throttle for any reason. 4000 rpm in 5th is 60mph and it will ride there steady state but if acceleration is required a down shift is necessary. 4K in 6th fo getta bout it. It'll shake like a dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts