Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site and a new owner of a 99 M900S. Love the bike and the site! The only thing that bugs me is the full tail. I've been reading around on the site and have decided on a 1/2 tail chop as I don't want water/debris flung up on the rear of the seat. I'm interested in those of you that have the 1/2 chop mod to share how you like it. Does the 1/2 chop keep the seat clean? How many companies out there offer something like the Shift-Tech version? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
There's a DP tail that is arrow shaped, and doesn't requite any frame chopping.

I'm planning to get the half tail for a winter mod... if you don't get a better answer come spring - I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for posting a pic of the DP tail. Do you have a side shot of that?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Here's my 1/2 chop...homemade with a dremel tool. The seat cowl still gets wet, but it doesn't seem to get all over me like with a full chop.

I also installed the shift-tech 1/2 tail on my wife's old 620. It was a nice piece of cf and was easy to install. Might take a little work on an older M900 though...different mounting points I believe. I would have gone that route, but I was trying to get away from cf on my M900.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also about what price is the DP kit?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Darn it DUCobsession, I wish I had seen that photo last week. I ordered the standard carbon tail from DP last week. DP's catalog does not do justice to the DP short tail. Maybe I can change my order.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can post a side shot when I get home from work.

The price was about $200 or so I cannot remember exactly, but it was expensive. If you do a search somebody else here has the DP short tail with some photo's as well, but I will post the side shot tonight West coast time.

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DUCobsession said:
I can post a side shot when I get home from work.
Thanks. I appreciate it. I guess I have it narrowed down to the Shift-Tech or the DP because that's all I've seen so far....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the photos. Gotta make my mind up now..... Both look good.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
shift-tech tail chop

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tim - That looks really good, man! I especially like the clear lenses. [thumbsup] So does this tail section keep the back of the seat cowl clean?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tim - Does the Shift-Tech fender have the tag light tucked out of view, just above the tag?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Yes the tag light is tuged away under the tail, this tail also has the European TUV aproval for road use, so all is exactly as it should be-- they are in stock!

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Lightninn said:
So does this tail section keep the back of the seat cowl clean?
My experience was no, not completely. Although you don't get the usual tail chop swamp ass either. You mainly just get water drops on the cowl. It's a nice piece of CF that was easy to install (in my experience at least).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts