Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Starbucks today to visit one of my friends and show off my new pipes! as I was standing in line a woman came up to me and politely asked if that was my motorcycle outside, I looked down at my Sidi boots and then to my black leather duc jacket and next to the helmet in my hand, confused I replied I hope so? She then told me much to my dismay the words I never hoped I would hear " I knocked it over as I was backing up" i thought(hoped) she was joking so I laughed telling her she was funny and that was a good one, again this time very seriously, "No I'm very sorry sir I did knock your motorcycle over and you need to come outside to see what I have done, my heart sank and my hands started to shake as I walked to the window to clearly see what she had done to my most prized possession, there it was, the sight
I've had nightmares about! the underside of my bike, the side I wish i'd never see(trent that sides dirty too!) It seems as if the next half hour is a blur, I picked it up as pieces were falling to the ground and to see some not come off the ground
I saw shattered a clutch lever, bent shifter, dented and bent exhaust(brand new friday) cracked mirrors, broken turn signals, bent handlebar, twisted kickstand, and more. I couldn't say anything all I could feel was a wave of anger and pain. I wanted to kill but there were too many people around :-X she was being so apologetic and nice, exclaiming to me she will pay for everything and not to worry. feelings of rage simmered as the police showed up to take the accident report, the cop luckily a fan of ducati and a friend of Tom Manley sympathesized as my duc stood beaten but not dead. Info was exchanged a handshake was given and we both limped home together.
I'm wondering if any of you have had this experience and could offer advice as far as repair or course of action?
Sadly,
JJ

·
Registered
735 Posts
FOOK!

I hoped you were joking man! The only good things that came out of this are:

1) Her insurance will cover the damaged parts cost but you may be down for a while.

2) At least you didn't get hurt.

If you need anything man, give me a call.

Get a repair estimate from Manley that includes parts and labor, submit that to her insurance and replace what needs replacing and you and I can do the labor.

What parts do you need to get back on the road?

·
Registered
223 Posts
sorry to hear about your bad luck. i hope i'll never be in the same situation, because i doubt that i'll be able to control myself...

so how exactly did it happen? how did she back into your bike and what kind of car was she driving that she didn't see your bike? truck, suv? just didn't look?

like trent said, let us know if you need anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled up to Starbucks on 54th & Lyndale, parked on 54th, backed it up to the curb, the lady was in the car at the time watching me back up my bike and then get off and walk into starbucks for coffee, not two minutes later she walked in to tell me the news! she was driving a 91 silver honda civic four door. ironically we live two blocks from each other. I dropped off the bike at primo this evening for an estimate but won't get it back for two days, then it goes to Manley for an estimate. am currently online at Motowheels searching for parts do you guys know of any good sites to research?
Thanks for support
JJ :'(

·
Registered
96 Posts
sorry to har that JJ. Like Nitro said, I hope i never have to deal with that 'cause I don't think i could contain myself.

Keep us posted and if you need any help let me know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks kim, I'm glad she came in and got me and did'nt just drive off, she wouldn't have had anyone there to stop her like your friend did at chang mai thai. question? so if they total my bike am I going to get screwed on the settlement?

JJ

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I don't think that they will total yours. I haven't seen the damage but from what you have said it will probably be repaired by the insurance company. I could be wrong. If they total it you will need to remove the pipes because they won't give you what you paid for them, if anything. The only thing that will suck is that you will have to pay your loan off and possibly buy a new one. If what they give you is less than the loan then......you get the idea. Insurance companies are snakes, I don't trust them at all. If they total it or it looks like they might let me know and I will ask my friends advice on how he faught for his. Keep your chin up, it will work out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sadly I know all too well the experience you describe. Last year, while sitting in one of my favorite coffee shops in St Paul, a guy came in to report that someone had just backed into and knocked over my bike - and then drove away!

Thankfully I had witnesses and a license plate number, but tracking the person down and getting the insurance issue resolved was a real pain. One, to my surprise, not made any easier by the St Paul police - other than taking the report, they had no interest in finding the owner of the car that hit my bike despite witnesses and a vehicle description.

(I'm not sure if this is the typical response of the local police. But it is interesting to note that Tom Manley told me last week that he was recently hit while riding a 996 on Lyndale. The guy who hit him stopped but, when Tom said he was going to call the police and file a report, the guy drove off. When the Minneapolis police arrived on the scene they would only file a report and said that, unless there is a fatality, they do not pursue hit and run cases - instead leaving it up to insurance to sort out!)

Although damage to my bike proved to be light (bend clutch lever, bent bars, scuffed foot peg), the wait for parts was crazy. Primo told me it would be 4 - 6 weeks before they could get new bars for the bike so, out of frustration, I ended up making some phone calls and finding parts in California.

Now I always try to park as far away from cars as possible, on the sidewalk when I can get away with it. Good luck with everything and what everyone says is right, it will work out!

Kendall

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I guess it's better than "she bit my Monster"........ ;) Sorry to hear about it, I always feel anxious when parking my bike someplace where there's no motorcycle parking only. Speaking of which it'll be parked outside Ground Zero tonight for the Rubber Ball. See ya there!
Hanns
(I'll be in my Monster costume, horns, spikes et al)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Starbucks on 54th & Lyndale --- i saw your bike - it's nice.. I live on Diamond Lake Road.

Hopefully you shouldn't go to starbucks anymore. If you go to anyplace that is based to cater to the "lowest common denominator" something bad will happen to you -- simple fact of my life atleast.

·
Registered
392 Posts
At least she had the integrity to find you and tell you, where I live you would have come outside, found your bike all screwed up and nobody would have seen a thing. Hopefully she dosn't have some sh*theads for an insurance company. I live in Harrisburg Pa , but I was raised in minneapolis around 54th and Humboldt. About 6 blocks from lake Harriet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah no kidding bill i thanked her many times for coming into get me i said i was extremely surprised she did so and didnt just drive off. after the police left and she pulled away my friend and I were standing at my bike disillusioned and a gentlemen walked up to us and said he was standing there when it happened and he said she just about left but saw him writing her license plate # down. kinda makes you wonder? but i consider myself lucky I get my $2060 check on Monday and it's going towards upgrades!
JJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts