Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way back from a mountain ride yesterday, I noticed that under hard accelleration the bike would hesitate. So to debug I pulled in the clutch and revved the engine to see if it was a fuel delivery problem. No Problems.

So I began to think it was my chain skipping. I just recently lubed my chain and I applied a very liberal amount of chain wax. I have 10k on the bike. My front sprocket was just replaced and my back sprocket is original. The sprocket still looks pretty good. Do you guys think this is the problem?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Your sprocket teeth would have to be worn right down to have the chain skip. It could still be a fuel delivery problem, since an engine will behave differently under load then revving freely. It could also be an ignition problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott.

I am still on the same fuel filter as original. Do you think it needs replacing?

How would I debug an ignition problem?

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Not true, if your chain is worn out it will skip before your sprockets are worn. My chain was so worn by 10k that it would skip constantly under hard acceleration. I would accelerate and every other second there would be a loud pop and the bike would just barely hesitate. It was very obvious that it was the chain and not the engine from the sound and feel of it. Replaced the chain at 10k, left the stock sprockets, no more skip. I have since changed to a 14t front sprocket, but the rear is still stock with almost 13k miles on it now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ysh, Re: Sharp hesitation under hard accelleration

yeah, could be fuel supply. I recall mine developing a slight hic up when going for power. after that eventually the fuel pump went kaput.
are u carbed or 'i' ?.
good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am carbed. I just bought the rebuild kit from mfgsupply. I am planning on doing that when it gets here. If that doesn't do it, I will take a stab at the fuel filter. And if that still doesn't do it, I don't know what I will do.

Thanks for your help,
Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just read another post. I am now wondering if it could be the clutch slipping. That will be my next point of attack I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts